TrishaC

Staff member
May 30, 2022
Australia in crisis: Mother forced to choose between food and hot shower as electricity prices skyrocket

Australia in crisis: Mother forced to choose between food and hot shower as electricity prices skyrocket
As the reality of Australia's cost of living problem is brought bare, a mother has provided details of how she may soon have to choose between feeding her children and paying the power bill.

Paulene Stephanie of Redcliffe, Queensland, has gone days without eating to ensure her son is properly cared for due to rising food and utility bills.

‘It's scary. It'll either be turning off the hot water and showering every second day or not eating every second day. They're the only options I can think of.’ she said.

D3ElKmP-nTrKjmeli4SE9L-xPJOzDdIajsoWHl_h59ela1xisgN_pQhwUllRA0hFxgGuSDWk80hOD1rEwXsxHiIYBfJ86WRVvpmitjHA3Cm36MSj-4cyq1JGT5_W4udpmBAB81LDKXrJrtBrCA

Source: Daily Mail

After struggling to find work as a casual retail employee, Ms Stephanie said she sits up at night weeping' because she can't pay her bills.

‘Sometimes I'll go without a meal to make sure they eat, to make sure they have enough,’ she added.

She dreads the soon-coming cold, winter months as she is currently unable to adequately fund heating and electricity. She isn’t alone. Many Australians are sharing similar sentiments as prices continue to climb. Another growing fear is that the nation could see a natural gas shortage, which would drive up the cost of living even higher.

As part of his search for a solution to soaring wholesale prices, Chris Bowen, the new Energy Minister, will arrange a conference with state and territory legislators from across the country.

Telling energy export companies to divert more gas to public consumption is one of the subjects that will be examined.

The new administration is claiming that they’re hampered by the problems they inherited from Scott Morrison's government, but Treasurer Jim Chalmers insists dealing with it is a 'priority.'

He warned of 'skyrocketing inflation' earlier this week, with the Reserve Bank of Australia widely projected to raise interest rates five more times before the end of 2022 in a bid to slow price rises.

‘This perfect storm of energy price spikes is doing enormous damage to our employers, to our households, and to our national economy,’ he said, ‘There are far more troubling aspects in our economy: skyrocketing inflation is a big challenge.’

szORna7d1gMaSFARP5tE_GXfsaneUCVPqRiOfk-YRCyoOuXlIJNV_1-_mQZGikZ_eKzYCRPDs-cAYCsjHgxBW1b2TfG68GLDsPlWGsx-VmEdzvi10o6WiIf_l0kXpRhPyAr0KalrktGm3wLyVA

Source: Daily Mail

According to Aldi, a typical family spends $192.19 per week on groceries or $9,994 per year.
That works out to $832 every month. If inflation stays at 5.1%, that translates to an extra $42.47 every month.

Ms Stephanie claims that politicians are unaware of the difficulties that ordinary Australians face.

‘I wish they'd come and live with me for a month. I would love to see them try and live on my budget for a month’ she said.

Fruit and vegetable prices increased by 6.7% in the year to March as a result of floods on Australia's east coast, while meat and seafood costs increased by 6.2%.

What do you think about this? Does the recent surge in inflation concern you? Tell us all about it in the comments below.

Check out the video below to see the country’s current economic conditions as of May 6, 2022, according to the RBA.

The cost of living is hurting a lot of people and I can't see it getting any better soon. We just have to work out what we can do without. We don't have any heaters but close blinds and doors to keep the heat in. Food wise we just get the essentials which is still costly.

with food allergies/intolerances,- wheat, gluten (in tother grains), soy and dairy, prices are higher for alternatives. I've started growing my greens again in a few pots to keep me going. I have blinds up when I'm home so I'm not using lights to see but that doesn't keep house warm. I use blankets and have bought a heavy think jacket to wear in doors, and fingerless gloves and a scarf to avoid using heaters. I have just applied all new weather seals at doors and door floor seals. As for petrol, I continue to make one trip instead of several for buying, by keeping a list of needs and when I head somewhere I look at the list to see if there is anything en route so its in one trip. Even more as I am transitioning into retirement from a part time job.
We all really have to think twice about how to use $ most economically.

This problem with power didn't just happen overnight even if we did just wake up to it in our news one day. What were people in the know doing about it before it hit the news? How come the Coalition were saying everything was hunky dory right up to the point when the s**t hit the fan and they were no longer responsible. I am seriously thinking of adding a battery to my solar system so that I can largely put my fingers up to the power company. Why I should have to beggar myself in order to keep warm/cool is beyond me. In this day and age having enough electricity is a right, a necessity not an indulgence or an extravagance. :mad:

I'm a self funded retiree who, with the interest rates, has seen very little interest on cash deposits for some time. I am on my own with a cat as my husband passed away last year. However, we (husband and I) have always helped out financially with out single mother daughter and her three teenage children so really, I am a family of 5. Food costs are astronomical and none of us is extravagant. As far as gas and electricity is concerned, I do't blame the Morrison government at all. The blame lies firmly at t he feet of the Greens and the Climate Change Warriors!! This is the richest country in the world in terms of coal, natural gas and uranium but too much attention is paid to those worshiping at the feet of Climate Change and we don't use the natural resources we have. Totally ridiculous. Lets look after our own before selling off our resources..