Australia cracks down on risky weight-loss drug replicas

In a decisive move to safeguard public health, Australian authorities have announced a ban on counterfeit weight-loss medications, including replicas of the widely-used drugs Ozempic and Mounjaro.

This crackdown comes amid a global supply shortage that has left many Australians scrambling for alternatives, but at what cost?

Ozempic and Mounjaro, originally developed as treatments for diabetes, have garnered a reputation for their secondary effect of significant weight loss.

Patients have reported reductions in body weight of around 15 per cent, thanks to the drugs' ability to induce a feeling of fullness.

However, the soaring demand for these medications has outstripped the supply of semaglutide, the active ingredient in Ozempic, leading to a shortage that is expected to last until at least 2025.

shutterstock_2349255139.jpg
Authorities announced a ban on Ozempic replicas in Australia. Image source: Shutterstock

In response to this shortage, some pharmacies have been producing generic substitutes using different ingredients to mimic the effects of Ozempic and Mounjaro.

These 'imitation' drugs have raised serious health concerns due to adverse side effects, prompting the government to take action.

Health Minister Mark Butler announced that from October, the government will remove GLP-1 receptor agonists, including semaglutide, from an exemption list that previously allowed pharmacists to compound these drugs.

This ban, which will reportedly affect 20,000 Australians, is a protective measure to prevent the development and distribution of potentially harmful replica drugs.

Mr Butler emphasised the gravity of the situation, stating, 'This action will protect Australians from harm and save lives. I’m really concerned in the way in which this market has developed that compromises public safety.'

Pharmacies that continue to compound and sell these replicas after the ban takes effect could face severe civil and criminal penalties under the Therapeutic Goods Act.

While the ban may cause concern for some, the Health Minister reassured that it would not affect other compounded medicines, only those related to GLP-1 receptors.

He said: ‘We recognise there is a valid place for compounding in certain circumstances. This action will not affect compounded medicines other than GLP-1 receptors.’

‘While I understand that this action may concern some people, the risk of not acting is far greater.’

The urgency of the ban is underscored by reports of dangerous side effects, such as peripheral neuropathy, associated with the use of compounded semaglutide.

Furthermore, there have been cases of fraudulent injections that did not contain any semaglutide at all.

The situation was brought into the spotlight by a Four Corners investigation, which revealed the illicit production and exportation of counterfeit Ozempic by an Australian pharmacist to the United States.

While the shortage of Ozempic is expected to continue until the end of December, there is a glimmer of hope for Mounjaro, with supply forecasts suggesting availability may improve by the end of August, according to the Therapeutic Goods Administration’s (TGA) Medicine Shortage Reports Database.

For our readers who may be affected by this ban, it's crucial to consult with your healthcare provider about safe and effective alternatives for weight management.

It's also important to stay informed about the medications you use and to only obtain them from reputable sources.

Source: ABC News (Australia)/YouTube​

Key Takeaways
  • Australian authorities have banned counterfeit weight-loss medications, including replicas of drugs like Ozempic and Mounjaro, due to health risks.
  • The ban came amid a global shortage of semaglutide, leading to the creation of imitation drugs using alternative ingredients with potential adverse side effects.
  • From October, compounding of drugs similar to Ozempic will be prohibited, and pharmacies violating this regulation may face severe penalties.
  • Recent investigations exposed safety concerns and fraudulent practices surrounding counterfeit weight-loss drugs, prompting the government to take decisive action to protect public health.
What are your thoughts on this ban, members? Have you or someone you know been affected by the shortage of weight-loss medications like Ozempic and Mounjaro? Share your experiences and thoughts below.

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
I am an over weight person and have been since my teens. I have tried many diets over the years. I loose weight then it comes back on. I have given up worrying about it now.
I suppose l am very lucky in one respect l have no obesity disease, as in high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, liver or kidney disorders. I joke with my dr each year after my blood tests. Oh l am a pin up girl for the over weight.
Sadly l have other health issue that are genetics . I found it very sad when these drugs came on the market and people were rushing to get scripts for these. I thought to myself wow easy fix, but do you have to stay on these drugs for ever, what are the side effects are they dangerous for people without diabetes? It seemed the miracle fix. Now the good people who have found the miracle weight loss drug will no longer be able to purchase it. What makes me so sad is. We are all different we are all different shapes and sizes. Yes l understand having extra weight is not a good thing but if there was more acceptance and less judgement in this world of how people look some people who have weight issues may not feel the need to look for the miracle answer. Just be kind eat the best you can and do a little exercise each day that you enjoy. Even it's difficult to put one foot in front of the other. Just keep moving get out in the fresh air stop and chat to others. Forget about the size of your body. Accept and look after one's self the best you can. Sadly there is no miracle weight loss. And don't worry what other people think. That is there problem not yours. They don't know if you have a health issue or medication you might be on or for what ever reason you are over weight. Hold your head high.
Be true to yourself and stay as healthy as you can.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Stop people using Diabetes drugs for weight loss completely. I don't see how the government has let this get to the stage of shortage now occurring. This leaves diabetics in a crisis because someone else wants to lose weight. Should never have been allowed in the first place.

The weight loss drug Companies are losing too much money because their crap doesn't work, this stuff does work so they get it banned. Sounds very familiar. They don't want to CURE you, they want permanent customers.

Reactions: Abby2
Stop people using Diabetes drugs for weight loss completely. I don't see how the government has let this get to the stage of shortage now occurring. This leaves diabetics in a crisis because someone else wants to lose weight. Should never have been allowed in the first place.
you are so correct.

I am an over weight person and have been since my teens. I have tried many diets over the years. I loose weight then it comes back on. I have given up worrying about it now.
I suppose l am very lucky in one respect l have no obesity disease, as in high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, liver or kidney disorders. I joke with my dr each year after my blood tests. Oh l am a pin up girl for the over weight.
Sadly l have other health issue that are genetics . I found it very sad when these drugs came on the market and people were rushing to get scripts for these. I thought to myself wow easy fix, but do you have to stay on these drugs for ever, what are the side effects are they dangerous for people without diabetes? It seemed the miracle fix. Now the good people who have found the miracle weight loss drug will no longer be able to purchase it. What makes me so sad is. We are all different we are all different shapes and sizes. Yes l understand having extra weight is not a good thing but if there was more acceptance and less judgement in this world of how people look some people who have weight issues may not feel the need to look for the miracle answer. Just be kind eat the best you can and do a little exercise each day that you enjoy. Even it's difficult to put one foot in front of the other. Just keep moving get out in the fresh air stop and chat to others. Forget about the size of your body. Accept and look after one's self the best you can. Sadly there is no miracle weight loss. And don't worry what other people think. That is there problem not yours. They don't know if you have a health issue or medication you might be on or for what ever reason you are over weight. Hold your head high.
Be true to yourself and stay as healthy as you can.
Kind regards to all Vicki
well said. I have weight and it's not due to food at all. I eat a lot of fruit and veg I grow. There are so many conditions that can cause this. It's really quite ignorant it's about food and eating less!

Reactions: Jo Piper3
I bloody know I've had my insides taken out went from 150 kilos down to 64, and I still have a sense of bastard humour? Some of You lot want to try it
well done for your achievement, but this gets to a point its not humourous to many of us, and not always obvious when its the same thrown at us so much. How about some compassion or make it clear you are just taking the Mickey.

Reactions: Gaena
I am probably biased as I am diabetic and was on Ozempic. I was left in crisis being unable to buy it. I ended up on different older medication which made me put on weight. It helped control my sugar and only has the side effect of weight gain, not all the other Ozempic side effects.
Ozempic has many side effects, makes it very difficult when travelling as it needs to be kept cold, ecpensive, only works when you continue to take it (unless you change your lifestyle) but is an easy fix the problem.
The real solution to weight is a change of lifestyle but often this is unable to be done or not wanted.
Very hard

Reactions: Frida1944
that's telling them.
If it was as easy as not feeding your face and getting off our arses and exercise, us people who have a weight problem should be just fine. A lot of us over weight people don't choose to be over weight. There are many reasons people have a weight issue. We don't all feed our faces with the wrong foods and we do exercise its just what it is. I totally agree these drugs should only be used for the people who need it.
Please don't be judgementle of over weight people. It's hard enough as it is without nasty comments. Us overweight people are well aware there are some who like to judge people because they are overweight.
Why can't we just accept people are all shapes and sizes.
Have a great evening.
Kind regards Vicki