Australia’s parking problem: Frustration mounts as illegal parking takes over suburbs

We here at the Seniors Discount Club love a good stroll outside, especially when you need a quick breather from a long day. There’s nothing like getting out in nature, feeling the sun (or the rain, depending on where you live) on your skin and getting some exercise.

But lately, one thing has been disrupting our little moments of euphoria: illegal parking. And no, we’re not referring to selfish parking acts typically seen in private establishments or drivers making questionable parking attempts.

We’re talking about vehicles blocking footpaths or walkways.

Unfortunately, it seems like this scourge is only getting worse over time. We see more cars, caravans, boats, and other vehicles parked across footpaths and nature strips – places where pedestrians should be able to peacefully walk without having to conquer all sorts of hurdles.

TsyHz8vu5lsDOlyJpzIXfWFWj2_EROj6rUoibnzhlfh725qXdBaBay3N17VbrCZtK9HJZ56-VzviBReemCkuDVkXakA_4WCCqbvf9FxgplfSOrIpNL3y-YSOYW_q8sCAmXjeLi67gE_ClzPw2lo4JvqwF875i_xo5GrZULLginSz_dJXkcNwANoLkA

Don’t park your vehicle on the footpath! Source: Living Streets

Instead, we’re left with two choices: walk around a stranger’s yard (which feels strange and intrusive) or go out onto the road and potentially be at risk for an accident.

Neither option is ideal and both certainly ruin the walking experience.

But most importantly, it isn’t just a petty conundrum for those of us who enjoy leisurely walks. It also creates safety hazards for people who use wheelchairs or mobility aids and parents with prams or young children.

In 2009, a car parked across a footpath forced a five-year-old boy to find an alternative path and walk onto the road in Sydney. He was run over by a rubbish truck and later on passed away from severe injuries.

hWIypWJN_6xRlPuUtvZylHDHbSp70tY2qAQb9EC7jGMOoy2OCiz8Vpto3e0RGv1zSWZFxES-TY_4JoCFN9e8ujFECDecgDLkkxLov_GHKxvatHZ4QTT1DKlCt-6Pvepk5oaZRnP8xMTwJX3gRhr29H62-JfN0DS1_bfYGTc67tKyPBkXcIAw47zLtA

Being a considerate driver is never a bad or difficult decision. Source: Liverpool Echo

Not to mention, blocking footpaths is also against the law in most states! As per VicRoads: ‘A driver must not park on a bicycle path, footpath, shared path, dividing strip, or a nature strip adjacent to a length of road in a built-up area.’

Parking rules that are listed on the NSW Government’s website also warn drivers not to park ‘on footpaths and nature strips, unless a sign says you can’.

‘Your parked vehicle must not block the flow of traffic or become a danger to other road users.’ the authority adds.

Despite this, drivers do it all the time without any repercussions.

How it has been affecting others in the community

Mr Rodl, who walks to the Drummoyne Post Office regularly, claimed that the council didn’t take his issue with vehicles obstructing walkways seriously. He previously injured his knee in a fall back in 2017, prompting him to raise his concerns.

‘Vehicles parked on or across driveways are also fire hazards.’ Mr Rodl warned. ‘Apart from being a nuisance to able-bodied and handicapped pedestrians, emergency vehicles will not be able to position their vehicles close enough to the relevant premises.’

‘I have written countless emails and hard copy letters – I even visited the council office in person to seek assistance,’ Mr Rodl said.

‘I am so disappointed that a simple thing cannot be fixed for those affected.’ another disgruntled lady said about the issue.

This is why road rules and laws exist and should be strictly adhered to. It’s a real concern that could potentially save someone’s life.

What are your thoughts about this parking issue? Have you ever stumbled across vehicles obstructing footpaths in your suburb? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
We here at the Seniors Discount Club love a good stroll outside, especially when you need a quick breather from a long day. There’s nothing like getting out in nature, feeling the sun (or the rain, depending on where you live) on your skin and getting some exercise.

But lately, one thing has been disrupting our little moments of euphoria: illegal parking. And no, we’re not referring to selfish parking acts typically seen in private establishments or drivers making questionable parking attempts.

Unfortunately, it seems like this scourge is only getting worse over time. We see more cars, caravans, boats, and other vehicles parked across footpaths and nature strips – places where pedestrians should be able to peacefully walk without having to conquer all sorts of hurdles.

TsyHz8vu5lsDOlyJpzIXfWFWj2_EROj6rUoibnzhlfh725qXdBaBay3N17VbrCZtK9HJZ56-VzviBReemCkuDVkXakA_4WCCqbvf9FxgplfSOrIpNL3y-YSOYW_q8sCAmXjeLi67gE_ClzPw2lo4JvqwF875i_xo5GrZULLginSz_dJXkcNwANoLkA

Instead, we’re left with two choices: walk around a stranger’s yard (which feels strange and intrusive) or go out onto the road and potentially be at risk for an accident.

But most importantly, it isn’t just a petty conundrum for those of us who enjoy leisurely walks. It also creates safety hazards for people who use wheelchairs or mobility aids and parents with prams or young children.

In 2009, a car parked across a footpath forced a five-year-old boy to find an alternative path and walk onto the road in Sydney. He was run over by a rubbish truck and later on passed away from severe injuries.

hWIypWJN_6xRlPuUtvZylHDHbSp70tY2qAQb9EC7jGMOoy2OCiz8Vpto3e0RGv1zSWZFxES-TY_4JoCFN9e8ujFECDecgDLkkxLov_GHKxvatHZ4QTT1DKlCt-6Pvepk5oaZRnP8xMTwJX3gRhr29H62-JfN0DS1_bfYGTc67tKyPBkXcIAw47zLtA

Being a considerate driver is never a bad or difficult decision. Source: Liverpool Echo

Not to mention, blocking footpaths is also against the law in most states! As per VicRoads: ‘A driver must not park on a bicycle path, footpath, shared path, dividing strip, or a nature strip adjacent to a length of road in a built-up area.’

Parking rules that are listed on the NSW Government’s website also warn drivers not to park ‘on footpaths and nature strips, unless a sign says you can’.

‘Your parked vehicle must not block the flow of traffic or become a danger to other road users.’ the authority adds.

Mr Rodl, who walks to the Drummoyne Post Office regularly, claimed that the council didn’t take his issue with vehicles obstructing walkways seriously. He previously injured his knee in a fall back in 2017, prompting him to raise his concerns.

‘Vehicles parked on or across driveways are also fire hazards.’ Mr Rodl warned. ‘Apart from being a nuisance to able-bodied and handicapped pedestrians, emergency vehicles will not be able to position their vehicles close enough to the relevant premises.’

‘I have written countless emails and hard copy letters – I even visited the council office in person to seek assistance,’ Mr Rodl said.

‘I am so disappointed that a simple thing cannot be fixed for those affected.’ another disgruntled lady said about the issue.

This is why road rules and laws exist and should be strictly adhered to. It’s a real concern that could potentially save someone’s life.

What are your thoughts about this parking issue? Have you ever stumbled across vehicles obstructing footpaths in your suburb? Let us know in the comments!
Unfortunately, it appears that streets seem to be getting slimmer, which I can only put down to the greed of developers, even in the older suburbs of Ex council housing where you had wide roads until they were redeveloped?.

I would take a photo and email to council along with a nice letter saying how glad I am that they will do something about it and I won't need to take it further to our local minister.

I have gone on walks with my daughters where a car was parked on the footpath and she had to go on the road .

If this was a regular thing I would write on a large paper Do NOT PARK ON FOOTPATH THINK OF OTHERS ABD STOP BEING SELFISH I have done this before when a neighbour kept parking on the footpath and they stopped doing it

I get this and fully agree, but what if the sidewalk is on the other side of the road and only grass on my side?

Reactions: Marj53
One can blame both the developer and council over these narrow streets. It is ALL about MONEY. One only has to drive around most new housing developments to see how narrow most streets are. If a vehicle is parked on the street it makes it a one-way area. There was a piece on the TV news the other day about an accident with a head-on crash due to vehicles parked on the side of a narrow road.

Two cars crashed into each other yesterday in Adelaide when one came around the corner and nowhere to go as car were parked on each side of narrow road with another coming towards him. Will be more of this due to narrow roads, garages too small that can't fit one car in it so they park second car in driveway/street.

Reactions: Marj53 and TheBear

I have been told if photograph culprits and present evidence to the authorities nothing will be followed up! The same goes for vehicles going through red traffic lights. I was hoping to become the traffic vigilante as I am sick of vehicles going through red lights at an intersection near a school. There have been incidents there but still no cameras. A wasted effort it would seem.

on the flip side my brother has a heart condition and is entitled to a disability parking permit. He was confronted by a policeman who insisted my brother didn’t appear disabled. my brother said to the cop, you don5 look like a cardiologist mate. A fine was issued. My brother went to the cop shop with his medical records and saw the boss. He demanded and got a public apology from the police. Lesson is don’t judge a disabled person in that parking spot too readily.

I have been told if photograph culprits and present evidence to the authorities nothing will be followed up! The same goes for vehicles going through red traffic lights. I was hoping to become the traffic vigilante as I am sick of vehicles going through red lights at an intersection near a school. There have been incidents there but still no cameras. A wasted effort it would seem.

on the flip side my brother has a heart condition and is entitled to a disability parking permit. He was confronted by a policeman who insisted my brother didn’t appear disabled. my brother said to the cop, you don5 look like a cardiologist mate. A fine was issued. My brother went to the cop shop with his medical records and saw the boss. He demanded and got a public apology from the police. Lesson is don’t judge a disabled person in that parking spot too readily.
Isn't it funny the hoons seem to get away with it and other people cop unnecessary fines 🤔

Reactions: TheBear
Town planning is the issue. It continues into the new housing estates. No one or government is learning lessons.
Something that few planners seem to take into account, but on average EACH gated community, subdivision, etc, has an average of THREE CARS per household.

Inconsiderate, illegal parkers should be booked and rightly so. But before we start demonising them, let's take into account poor development planning that has lead to a lack of parking. This is happening particularly here on the Gold Coast, with massive high-rise development and the Light Rail extension, which effectively halves or eliminates street parking. Before the authorities start blaming and booking the drivers, first look in the mirror and see how THEY have contributed to, or even caused, the problem.

Something that few planners seem to take into account, but on average EACH gated community, subdivision, etc, has an average of THREE CARS per household.
I don’t understand the need for that many cars. If it costs $10k plus per year to own a car, Uber, Didi etc are attractive propositions. If you need one for a holiday then hire a car.