Aussies weigh in on the question: Should you take off your shoes inside the house or not?

In a popular Facebook group, one mum has divided hundreds of Aussie homeowners when she asked a simple, yet surprisingly controversial, question: "Do you ask guests to take their shoes off before coming into your house?"

In the comments section, which was flooded with hundreds of different opinions, several users argued that they prefer to keep their feet covered.

One mum said she would rather deal with "a little dirt from the outside" than have "sweaty sock feet stinking everything up".

A second user wrote: "I prefer to keep my shoes on, I don’t want to walk with socks on an unkempt floor."

"I have foot problems and need good (sole) support. Walking in bare feet with socks or without is very uncomfortable. Either way, I don’t want to see or smell someone’s feet!" said a third.

1Tl2arBKkVPtQFgRz3GsU_nBMq2JTGn-v4EU8kga1ebKSfxaYghQqm9IRwvaRyYnXrihbP1nSPzcelNF37yBGgt4-d7I0dMnFc5lDtM0ZSBVVioUXGmEE40pRAyVcYJCl-7YLHB3

Aussies weigh in on whether you should take off your shoes indoors or not. Credit: Shutterstock / Filono Cardoso.

On the other hand, a majority of homeowners are saying that they prefer their guests to de-shoe before entering their homes.

"I don't want anyone, who has been in public toilets and goodness knows where, wearing shoes in my house. Yuck!" said one mum.

A second mum agreed and added: "Imagine all the things we are stepping on outside every day. I don't want that brought into my house."

"I grew up in a Scandinavian family and you NEVER wear your shoes into someone's house," wrote a third user.

"I take my shoes off whenever I enter anyone's home to this day, even if they say I can leave them on. Think about it… shoes are dirty even if they look clean."

Another person added that as a visitor, it is a sign of respect to take your shoes off before you enter someone else's house.

"I would never push back against someone asking me to take my shoes off in their home. It’s a sign of respect," he said.

"The host has been gracious enough to let me into their home; the least I can do is respect their house rules."

H6csybZ9Qp96av7QW3p1jAaiO3_GBzaxlZjnqFRR_vdG6ill2DDoQuVzi4j5zHmThZIVMY8T4GMWtPQdRk-tw6Z91NRbSQ4mSPoqs4wFytdH43aEGWwM0YRQwgO22auPERe6q_yn

An expert said wearing outside shoes indoors can bring harmful germs. Credit: Shutterstock / Andrey_Popov.

It seems like scientists have also weighed in on the issue, and this is their verdict – wearing shoes inside the house is not only gross, but a real health threat.

According to Professor Mark Taylor, Chief Environmental Scientist at EPA Victoria, it's best to leave the filth that accumulates on the bottom of your shoes outside the house.

"Some of the microorganisms present on shoes and floors are drug-resistant pathogens, including hospital-associated infectious agents (germs) that are very difficult to treat," he said.

"Add in cancer-causing toxins from asphalt road residue and endocrine-disrupting lawn chemicals, and you might view the filth on your shoes in a new light."

So there you have it, members!

Taking your shoes off at the door is a basic and easy activity for us to prevent getting sick. And we all know prevention is far better than treatment, right?

If you ever need shoes for foot support, experts recommend having a pair of "indoor shoes" that never get worn outside.

Sponsored
Aussies weigh in on the question: Should you take off your shoes inside the house or not?

In a popular Facebook group, one mum has divided hundreds of Aussie homeowners when she asked a simple, yet surprisingly controversial, question: "Do you ask guests to take their shoes off before coming into your house?"

In the comments section, which was flooded with hundreds of different opinions, several users argued that they prefer to keep their feet covered.

One mum said she would rather deal with "a little dirt from the outside" than have "sweaty sock feet stinking everything up".

A second user wrote: "I prefer to keep my shoes on, I don’t want to walk with socks on an unkempt floor."

"I have foot problems and need good (sole) support. Walking in bare feet with socks or without is very uncomfortable. Either way, I don’t want to see or smell someone’s feet!" said a third.

1Tl2arBKkVPtQFgRz3GsU_nBMq2JTGn-v4EU8kga1ebKSfxaYghQqm9IRwvaRyYnXrihbP1nSPzcelNF37yBGgt4-d7I0dMnFc5lDtM0ZSBVVioUXGmEE40pRAyVcYJCl-7YLHB3

Aussies weigh in on whether you should take off your shoes indoors or not. Credit: Shutterstock / Filono Cardoso.

On the other hand, a majority of homeowners are saying that they prefer their guests to de-shoe before entering their homes.

"I don't want anyone, who has been in public toilets and goodness knows where, wearing shoes in my house. Yuck!" said one mum.

A second mum agreed and added: "Imagine all the things we are stepping on outside every day. I don't want that brought into my house."

"I grew up in a Scandinavian family and you NEVER wear your shoes into someone's house," wrote a third user.

"I take my shoes off whenever I enter anyone's home to this day, even if they say I can leave them on. Think about it… shoes are dirty even if they look clean."

Another person added that as a visitor, it is a sign of respect to take your shoes off before you enter someone else's house.

"I would never push back against someone asking me to take my shoes off in their home. It’s a sign of respect," he said.

"The host has been gracious enough to let me into their home; the least I can do is respect their house rules."

H6csybZ9Qp96av7QW3p1jAaiO3_GBzaxlZjnqFRR_vdG6ill2DDoQuVzi4j5zHmThZIVMY8T4GMWtPQdRk-tw6Z91NRbSQ4mSPoqs4wFytdH43aEGWwM0YRQwgO22auPERe6q_yn

An expert said wearing outside shoes indoors can bring harmful germs. Credit: Shutterstock / Andrey_Popov.

It seems like scientists have also weighed in on the issue, and this is their verdict – wearing shoes inside the house is not only gross, but a real health threat.

According to Professor Mark Taylor, Chief Environmental Scientist at EPA Victoria, it's best to leave the filth that accumulates on the bottom of your shoes outside the house.

"Some of the microorganisms present on shoes and floors are drug-resistant pathogens, including hospital-associated infectious agents (germs) that are very difficult to treat," he said.

"Add in cancer-causing toxins from asphalt road residue and endocrine-disrupting lawn chemicals, and you might view the filth on your shoes in a new light."

Taking your shoes off at the door is a basic and easy activity for us to prevent getting sick. And we all know prevention is far better than treatment, right?

If you ever need shoes for foot support, experts recommend having a pair of "indoor shoes" that never get worn outside.
Apair of Aqua socks easily scrunch into my bag when visiting certain friends who require shoes are not worn inside.
They are light, comfortable, and an acceptable foot covering.
I would never go barefoot in someone else's home.
Water, or Aqua, socks are great
Bought mine for $11 on ebay.
They are also called Beach socks, and Diving socks. Made of light neoprene.

If I am spending the day with a friend at their home 🏡 I take a pair of indoor shoes or slippers

We've always removed shoes before entering in our family, first because on a farm, shoes/boots & even thongs, really pick up all manner of unsavoury things. Then, it was because of cream carpet in Mum & Dad's new house, then because we had babies & toddlers .....
But, after a friend (a carpet layer) showed us what was in and under the carpet he was removing we were revolted because I vacuummed constantly! We swore off fitted carpet forever, polished our floorboards and everyone (!!) who visited removed their shoes voluntarily seeing that floor! We kept a basket of scuffs & slippers in various sizes at our front door and everyone was happy. We never experienced anyone refusing. Some regular visitors had favourite slippers & some brought their own. Even my elderly great aunt always insisted on having her shoes removed because, having been bought up on a farm, said she "just believes in leaving the grot and heavens only know what germs outside".

I can't say as I have never heard of anyone getting sick from walking on the floor barefoot. I was in a position for many years where I was required to enter peoples homes and if asked to take my shoes off I was told to tell people it was a health hazard and you never know what is lying around that you might step on causing you to fall or injure yourself. I also think it is totally unnecessary as people are not building up immunity to germs and overusing antibiotics when sick. Shoes on for me and guests in my home. It takes 5 minutes to mop the floor after they leave.

I always went barefoot and my kids too, if people want to take their shoes off or leave them on was up to them, I now wear a leg brace and an orthotic boot due to a foot disability and there is no way I can walk without them on, so no go for me taking mine off at the front door.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
As I often do 🤪 I did some research online & it was very interesting! These are some links for anyone interested .....

And, most interestingly, whether we do or not seems usually depends on our upbringing.....

I WISH Tradies wld take their FILTHY, DIRTY BOOTS OFF!
Electricians and plumbers have the most disgusting filth on their boots and do not care if they RUIN my floors!
No care at all. Their revolting mud, dirt, and black streaks on my light carpets, my kitchen floor, and bathroom tiles is unforgiveable. This includes the RACV EmergHomeAsst. blokes as well.
No home owner shd hv to be on hands and knees scrubbing floors bcz ignorant Tradies hv stomped marks everywhere. I've been in tears after they've left bcz of the damage.
I am disabled. Trying to clean away Tradie's damage causes me extreme pain, and has sometimes taken HOURS of cleaning that I shd not hv had to do. It is unfair and WRONG for these gormless lumps to cause such unnecessary damage without any care at all.

• Sad
I WISH Tradies wld take their FILTHY, DIRTY BOOTS OFF!
Electricians and plumbers have the most disgusting filth on their boots and do not care if they RUIN my floors!
No care at all. Their revolting mud, dirt, and black streaks on my light carpets, my kitchen floor, and bathroom tiles is unforgiveable. This includes the RACV EmergHomeAsst. blokes as well.
No home owner shd hv to be on hands and knees scrubbing floors bcz ignorant Tradies hv stomped marks everywhere. I've been in tears after they've left bcz of the damage.
I am disabled. Trying to clean away Tradie's damage causes me extreme pain, and has sometimes taken HOURS of cleaning that I shd not hv had to do. It is unfair and WRONG for these gormless lumps to cause such unnecessary damage without any care at all.
I feel your pain but I do have to say that since moving to a retirement village I have not had that problem. I don't know if it's in the rules for entering a village or not but since being here everyone that has come in has done so in stocking feet. An action I am eternally grateful for.:)

Reactions: Ezzy

I believe it is a custom in some countries to have a pair of shoes for indoor only use.
The argument by Prof. Taylor would, l feel, be another argument for our recent topic about whether or not footwear should be worn into a Supermarket or any other place outside the home for that instance! Who is going to go home & immediately wash their feet after a shopping trip? If you are going to do so why not wear some sort of footwear?
Unless the Road Rules have changed, it used to be illegal to drive a vehicle without footwear. Unhygenic or not, even truckers on t.v. are wearing thongs when they alight the truck. Are these worn driving? They are seen to be doing the right thing!!

Reactions: Ricci