Aussies shocked over trial beachside fee: 'Why should we have to pay?'

Australia, the land of sun, surf, and sand, is known for its iconic beaches. They are a part of the national identity, a symbol of the laid-back lifestyle that Aussies cherish.

But what happens when access to these beloved shores comes with a price tag?

That's the question many Australians are grappling with as outrage spreads over a new fee introduced at some of the country's most popular beaches.

The Mornington Peninsula Shire Council in Melbourne has decided to trial paid parking at Flinders Pier, Schnapper Point, and Sunnyside Beach, three of the most frequented beaches on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula.

The new parking fee, which comes into effect just as summer is heating up, will cost Aussie families $6.20 per hour. The fee is capped at $19.50 for the day.

SDC 6.png
Beachgoers at certain beaches in Melbourne are being asked to pay a new parking fee. Image source: Flinders Community Association.

Sunnyside and Flinders offer all day parking with no time limits, while those visiting Schnapper Point will have the option of two-hour or four-hour parking.

The fee is a significant blow to many, especially considering the current cost-of-living crisis and the expenses associated with the festive season.

The decision has been met with widespread criticism.

One disgruntled beachgoer said: 'It’s a beach. Why should we have to pay for it?'

Another stated, 'We won’t stay here. We’ll travel further on where we don’t have to pay.'

However, not everyone is against the new fee.

Some beachgoers have expressed willingness to pay, provided the revenue is used to maintain the beaches and foreshore area.

Mornington Peninsula Shire Council Mayor Simon Brooks defended the move, stating that it was a response to the challenges posed by growing visitor numbers.

'We have 7.5 million visitors come down here every year,' he said.

'It costs us about $8 million a year to maintain our foreshore areas.'

To enforce the new fee, the council has installed cameras costing $165,000 to catch those who evade payment or overstay the four-hour limit.

The trial will last for nine months, but there is a possibility it could be extended.

Locals, however, are exempt from the new fees, but they must apply for a free ePermit on this website.
Key Takeaways
  • Beachgoers on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula are being charged a new fee for parking at some of the most popular beaches.
  • A visit to Flinders Pier, Schnapper Point and Sunnyside Beach will cost $6.20 per hour, capped at $19.50 for the day.
  • There has been a public backlash against the charges, with some saying they would rather visit other beaches without fees.
  • Despite the criticism, Mornington Peninsula Shire Council Mayor Simon Brooks defended the decision and cited increased visitor numbers and maintenance costs as the reason for the fees.
What are your thoughts, members? Are you willing to pay for beach access if it means better maintenance and facilities, or should our beaches remain free for all? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I was at the beach at Rosebud in the height of COVID-19 on a stinking hot day. My friends asked me to go swimming with them and I went no further than getting my feet wet.

The reason? The water stunk of raw sewage mixed with who knows what else. Just 50 metres up the beach was an outlet of sorts, spewing out some toxic waste. Never been back since.
Really.🙀 Eeeew 💩🎅

I wondered how long before they would charge us to go to the Beaches. I've been waiting for years to see how long it would be before they hit us with a charge
for going to the Beach. This has to be the
Greatest Single Cost of paying for this outing. It is un-Australian, and an absolute disgrace to have this Criminal
Act to be put onto the Australian Public.

Really.🙀 E toeeew 💩🎅
Same here littleboy8
Yuck !!!! You are a little more blunt than I am but the sentiment is the same.
I honestly thought they would have come up, with a better plan than what they are
obviously still doing. Yuk Yuk !!!!
!!!!!!(

Reactions: Littleboy8