Aussies reveal the small changes they're making to save money as the cost of living soars

The cost of living in Australia is on the rise, and Australians are starting to feel the squeeze. To make ends meet, many people are making lifestyle adjustments, such as quitting smoking, meal prepping and growing their own herbs and veggies.

One mum has prompted many people to reveal the lifestyle changes they are practising to cope with the skyrocketing prices of commodities.

Taking her musings to social media, the mum asked members of the popular Facebook group Simple Savers what "little changes" they had made to save a couple of bucks.

"I'm plugging my phone into the car charger when doing the school run, I've reconfigured power boards so I can turn appliances off at the wall and not have them 'always on'." the mum wrote.

"I've started collecting the little bits of soap that are too small to use anymore in a jar to make liquid soap... this won't save me a fortune, but it all adds up."

026C0Iv6B_GPEGy9JdaG-7VUCNHUH2KZiQZgT53j0WqNzwQUT_yGVLKGdSXe89BGoUc-dCoCgmu8QJLnaJ9ZYetBOV4hN_myq9BR9JB-mKByt_NPa2C4oR-MX6YY0wSLmRrhVZhpubAMLQ2e

One of the tips the mum shared included charging her phone in the car. Credit: Shutterstock/patpichaya.

Hundreds responded to the mum's post, with many willing to share their own frugal ways.

One person wrote: "Love the idea about not having appliances on 'standby'. I have started checking some of our appliances. The microwave, dishwasher, washing machine etc. It all adds up - better for the environment too!"

Another shared how they saved a couple of dollars by giving up smoking, while another said that they gave up on alcohol and other vices.

One mum revealed that she purchased an electric bike so she can cut down on fuel consumption.

"Bought a second-hand electric bike for $1300 just before fuel prices skyrocketed, as I live about 5km out of town and it's saved me heaps in fuel. I ride it in all kinds of weather and have hardly needed to fuel up at all since then," the woman said.

Several members suggested that planning your meals ahead is the best way to save money.

One person recommended: "Meal plan, buy in-season fruit and veg (or frozen), make things from scratch instead of convenience options, cancel any subscription services, walk more (drive less), utilise the library for books and toys, use blankets and warm clothes instead of heaters."

UMhKgb0JiqmkG4B_L4eXmyjcuAzbcjbpyy8sPRjnvKv6b_N8_8LYktFwru6OnPG7WCEjj3XPTo-myLF-LNLomknO_c_KkGY-YyWf4FaN8VT5wvL7Yb3mfY6ZJk28gyTdnNsuBjFW6_RYRmpR

Others shared that they saved a couple of bucks from quitting smoking and other vices. Credit: Shutterstock/Pe3k.

Meanwhile, one thrifty man claimed that he "saved heaps" from switching his ordinary light bulbs to LED light bulbs.

Other tips included layering blankets rather than using an electrical one, planting herbs and vegetables, using appliances at night outside of peak times, and buying items on special at the supermarket in bulk.

One comment read: "I now buy budget dish liquid and refill my bottle. We have cancelled unnecessary insurance. I recycle as it doesn’t cost you at all as opposed to rubbish bags. And I’ve pulled out the sewing machine to repair things instead of replacing."

"I toss all my coins into a jar and once I have filled the jar I bank them. For anyone who has debts, the coins in the jar can be taken out once a month to pay off a bill," another added.

A third chimed in: "I cook larger batches of food and freeze in meal lots so I'm only reheating at night instead of cooking,” and suggested, “roll-on deodorant instead of spray on."

"Have cosy blankets in the lounge if it gets a bit cooler during the evening (Qld), so never need to use a heater, no lights on in the evening - just the light from the TV, and I preserve food when I can buy it cheaply."

The frugal practices that we here at the SDC religiously follow are buying in-season and planning our meals ahead as we believe that we spend the most money on food. For those of you who are looking for ideas on which fresh produce is currently in season, we recommend checking out this article.

How about you? Do you know any other money-saving tips? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
The cost of living in Australia is on the rise, and Australians are starting to feel the squeeze. To make ends meet, many people are making lifestyle adjustments, such as quitting smoking, meal prepping and growing their own herbs and veggies.

One mum has prompted many people to reveal the lifestyle changes they are practising to cope with the skyrocketing prices of commodities.

Taking her musings to social media, the mum asked members of the popular Facebook group Simple Savers what "little changes" they had made to save a couple of bucks.

"I'm plugging my phone into the car charger when doing the school run, I've reconfigured power boards so I can turn appliances off at the wall and not have them 'always on'." the mum wrote.

"I've started collecting the little bits of soap that are too small to use anymore in a jar to make liquid soap... this won't save me a fortune, but it all adds up."

026C0Iv6B_GPEGy9JdaG-7VUCNHUH2KZiQZgT53j0WqNzwQUT_yGVLKGdSXe89BGoUc-dCoCgmu8QJLnaJ9ZYetBOV4hN_myq9BR9JB-mKByt_NPa2C4oR-MX6YY0wSLmRrhVZhpubAMLQ2e

One of the tips the mum shared included charging her phone in the car. Credit: Shutterstock/patpichaya.

Hundreds responded to the mum's post, with many willing to share their own frugal ways.

One person wrote: "Love the idea about not having appliances on 'standby'. I have started checking some of our appliances. The microwave, dishwasher, washing machine etc. It all adds up - better for the environment too!"

Another shared how they saved a couple of dollars by giving up smoking, while another said that they gave up on alcohol and other vices.

One mum revealed that she purchased an electric bike so she can cut down on fuel consumption.

"Bought a second-hand electric bike for $1300 just before fuel prices skyrocketed, as I live about 5km out of town and it's saved me heaps in fuel. I ride it in all kinds of weather and have hardly needed to fuel up at all since then," the woman said.

Several members suggested that planning your meals ahead is the best way to save money.

One person recommended: "Meal plan, buy in-season fruit and veg (or frozen), make things from scratch instead of convenience options, cancel any subscription services, walk more (drive less), utilise the library for books and toys, use blankets and warm clothes instead of heaters."

UMhKgb0JiqmkG4B_L4eXmyjcuAzbcjbpyy8sPRjnvKv6b_N8_8LYktFwru6OnPG7WCEjj3XPTo-myLF-LNLomknO_c_KkGY-YyWf4FaN8VT5wvL7Yb3mfY6ZJk28gyTdnNsuBjFW6_RYRmpR

Others shared that they saved a couple of bucks from quitting smoking and other vices. Credit: Shutterstock/Pe3k.

Meanwhile, one thrifty man claimed that he "saved heaps" from switching his ordinary light bulbs to LED light bulbs.

Other tips included layering blankets rather than using an electrical one, planting herbs and vegetables, using appliances at night outside of peak times, and buying items on special at the supermarket in bulk.

One comment read: "I now buy budget dish liquid and refill my bottle. We have cancelled unnecessary insurance. I recycle as it doesn’t cost you at all as opposed to rubbish bags. And I’ve pulled out the sewing machine to repair things instead of replacing."

"I toss all my coins into a jar and once I have filled the jar I bank them. For anyone who has debts, the coins in the jar can be taken out once a month to pay off a bill," another added.

A third chimed in: "I cook larger batches of food and freeze in meal lots so I'm only reheating at night instead of cooking,” and suggested, “roll-on deodorant instead of spray on."

"Have cosy blankets in the lounge if it gets a bit cooler during the evening (Qld), so never need to use a heater, no lights on in the evening - just the light from the TV, and I preserve food when I can buy it cheaply."

The frugal practices that we here at the SDC religiously follow are buying in-season and planning our meals ahead as we believe that we spend the most money on food. For those of you who are looking for ideas on which fresh produce is currently in season, we recommend checking out this article.

How about you? Do you know any other money-saving tips? Share them with us in the comments below!
We have had LED lights and solar since 2014 and we have never had to pay a power bill since then. I have always been budget conscious and vary rarely use convenience food and cook main meals from scratch. I have a thermo pot from when we camped and use it for cooking which saves power.

Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci
Rebates from solar are reducing so set the timer on dishwashers and other appliances that can go on during the day when more power is generated. Also have herbs that can be dried , like parsley , dry in microwave , crumble and refill the jars!

We have dinner early as we are

ear

Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci
If you are an Origin Energy user join Spike and get paid for not using electricity. One night a week for an hour I turn off all electrical appliances, sit in the dark with a torch and read my book. So far I've saved 17kw hours and have earned credits that I can cash out when I choose. It might only be a small thing but it sure opens your eyes when you have to go round and turn everything off, not everything gets turned back on. If you have the old lights in your home buy a table or floor lamp with an LED bulb and use that instead. Put on an extra layer of clothing and turn the heating down by 2-5 degrees. I have solar so I use all the major appliances only during daylight hours when I'm using my own generated electricity. I also only cook during daylight hours so that if necessary I only have to nuke dinner for a minute or two at night. Op shops can be your friend, browse them before going to the major retailers, you could save heaps. Wait till your dishwasher/washing machine has a full load before using and remember drying on the line is far cheaper than running your dryer. There are myriad ways to conserve energy and money, you just have to think smarter, small changes accumulatively mean huge savings.:)

Reactions: Phyll
OMG! Giving up smoking saves "a couple of dollars???"
I was in the supermarket express lane (where the cigarettes are sold) yesterday and a chappie in front of me was buying a bottle of milk, butter and "a packet of ? cigarettes, please". That's $75ish please" (I wasn't so rude as to pay a great deal of attention to the actual price).
My groceries were $75.42 and will feed us for at least a week.
Anyhow, my savings are "never waste anything" I use veggie peelings for making stock etc.