Aussie's genius trick to dodge the $65 Costco fee—you won't believe how simple it is!

We know Aussies are savvy shoppers. And as the rhythmic hum of the cash register accompanies our pursuit for value, we keep one ear to the ground for thrifty advice on how to save a significant chunk of change. You might be surprised at what you can hear when you truly listen!

One such power shopper recently revealed his crafty strategy for shopping at Costco without digging deep into his pocket to cover the annual membership fee–currently standing at a not-so-modest $65.

For those unfamiliar with Costco, it’s a wholesale supermarket behemoth originating from the United States that requires a paid annual membership to access its warehouse-like stores. This membership permits customers to enter and partake in the bargain-hunting extravaganza at any Costco around the globe, making it particularly appealing to devoted bulk-buyers and savvy deal-finders.

costco store location.jpg
Costco Store Locations Source: Seniors Discount Club

Now, here’s the big reveal: An insightful Australian shopper has shared how non-members can sneakily gain entry to the store– not by scaling the walls or donning an intricate disguise–but by using a foolproof gift card hack.

'If a Costco member purchases gift cards, these can be given to non-members who are able to enter the store and spend the card on whatever they like,' the shopper generously shared with the enthusiastic community of the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group.

Let’s pause here for a collective ‘Aha!’ moment. Who would have thought a gift card could double as a golden ticket to bypass membership fees?

According to the would-be undercover shopper, this little-known trick makes a pleasing alternative for those who want to sample the delights of Costco without the financial commitment of membership. 'It's a good way for people who want to go and have a look and purchase a few things without the membership fees. [It] also makes a fun gift for non-members as they get the gift card and the novelty of the Costco shopping experience.'

Costco services.jpg
Costco Services Source: Seniors Discount Club

The trick is confirmed as legitimate on Costco's official website, which states that gift cards can be purchased by existing members and bestowed upon non-members. These gift cards can be loaded with anywhere between $25 and $999.99, depending on the generosity of the gifter, and they don't come with an expiration date.

However, there's a small catch. The precious gift cards are not valid for online purchases, nor can they be used for petrol at Costco's fuel stations. We suppose even the best strategies come with some limitations.

What's more, if your shopping spree extends over the allocated gift card amount, do not fear! Many commenters confirmed that you simply pay the difference at the checkout. One commented, 'I went Friday… my mum got me a $25 voucher. My shopping was $146 and I paid the difference on my card.'

With other shoppers chiming in with their successful exploits, it seems this savvy hack works wonders, surprising many users who failed to use this loophole before.

Key Takeaways

• A savvy Australian shopper has shared a hack to shop at Costco without having to pay the annual membership fee.
  • The shopper revealed that non-members can enter the store and make purchases using gift cards bought by Costco members.
  • The gift cards can be loaded between $25 and $999.99 and do not expire, although they cannot be used for online purchases or to purchase petrol.
  • Other shoppers who had used this hack confirmed that it worked, sharing their experiences in the comments section of the post.
While we don't encourage deception, this kind of ingenuity certainly makes shopping even more of an adventure! Call it 'smart' or 'inventive'; it's a trick in the book for every budget-conscious Aussie out there.

Remember, dear members, at the Seniors Discount Club, we’re always tuned in for the latest shopping hacks, tips, and trickles of wisdom to keep helping you save. So grab those gift cards, and let the savings spree begin at Costco time!

Quick note: The Seniors Discount Club always recommends understanding and respecting the terms and conditions of any store's policy. Always research and ask questions to ensure you're playing by the rules! Happy shopping!

Are there any Costco members out there who can comment on its cost-effectiveness compared to Woolies, Coles, and, crucially, ALDI? Tell us below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
We know Aussies are savvy shoppers. And as the rhythmic hum of the cash register accompanies our pursuit for value, we keep one ear to the ground for thrifty advice on how to save a significant chunk of change. You might be surprised at what you can hear when you truly listen!

One such power shopper recently revealed his crafty strategy for shopping at Costco without digging deep into his pocket to cover the annual membership fee–currently standing at a not-so-modest $65.

For those unfamiliar with Costco, it’s a wholesale supermarket behemoth originating from the United States that requires a paid annual membership to access its warehouse-like stores. This membership permits customers to enter and partake in the bargain-hunting extravaganza at any Costco around the globe, making it particularly appealing to devoted bulk-buyers and savvy deal-finders.

View attachment 26087
Costco Store Locations Source: Seniors Discount Club

Now, here’s the big reveal: An insightful Australian shopper has shared how non-members can sneakily gain entry to the store– not by scaling the walls or donning an intricate disguise–but by using a foolproof gift card hack.

'If a Costco member purchases gift cards, these can be given to non-members who are able to enter the store and spend the card on whatever they like,' the shopper generously shared with the enthusiastic community of the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group.

Let’s pause here for a collective ‘Aha!’ moment. Who would have thought a gift card could double as a golden ticket to bypass membership fees?

According to the would-be undercover shopper, this little-known trick makes a pleasing alternative for those who want to sample the delights of Costco without the financial commitment of membership. 'It's a good way for people who want to go and have a look and purchase a few things without the membership fees. [It] also makes a fun gift for non-members as they get the gift card and the novelty of the Costco shopping experience.'

View attachment 26088
Costco Services Source: Seniors Discount Club

The trick is confirmed as legitimate on Costco's official website, which states that gift cards can be purchased by existing members and bestowed upon non-members. These gift cards can be loaded with anywhere between $25 and $999.99, depending on the generosity of the gifter, and they don't come with an expiration date.

However, there's a small catch. The precious gift cards are not valid for online purchases, nor can they be used for petrol at Costco's fuel stations. We suppose even the best strategies come with some limitations.

What's more, if your shopping spree extends over the allocated gift card amount, do not fear! Many commenters confirmed that you simply pay the difference at the checkout. One commented, 'I went Friday… my mum got me a $25 voucher. My shopping was $146 and I paid the difference on my card.'

With other shoppers chiming in with their successful exploits, it seems this savvy hack works wonders, surprising many users who failed to use this loophole before.

Key Takeaways

• A savvy Australian shopper has shared a hack to shop at Costco without having to pay the annual membership fee.
  • The shopper revealed that non-members can enter the store and make purchases using gift cards bought by Costco members.
  • The gift cards can be loaded between $25 and $999.99 and do not expire, although they cannot be used for online purchases or to purchase petrol.
  • Other shoppers who had used this hack confirmed that it worked, sharing their experiences in the comments section of the post.
While we don't encourage deception, this kind of ingenuity certainly makes shopping even more of an adventure! Call it 'smart' or 'inventive'; it's a trick in the book for every budget-conscious Aussie out there.

Remember, dear members, at the Seniors Discount Club, we’re always tuned in for the latest shopping hacks, tips, and trickles of wisdom to keep helping you save. So grab those gift cards, and let the savings spree begin at Costco time!

Quick note: The Seniors Discount Club always recommends understanding and respecting the terms and conditions of any store's policy. Always research and ask questions to ensure you're playing by the rules! Happy shopping!

Are there any Costco members out there who can comment on its cost-effectiveness compared to Woolies, Coles, and, crucially, ALDI? Tell us below!
The petrol savings are worth the membership!

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Paying the membership fee would be fine if Costco Australia had the same rebate rules as other countries. In other countries, you pay with a Costco American Express Credit Card and they rebate 3% back on every $1 spent AND an additional 3% back is rebated by Costco. Getting 6% back easily pays the membership and for big spenders, a HUGE amount over the membership fee is rebated. (Rebate % may have changed now.) I'd hoped Costco Australia would do the same rebates but they haven't (and I'm sure never will because Aussies have already joined without the rebates). If Aussies held off joining, Costco 'may' have offered Australia the same (or similar) rebates. I've watched the prices of Costco Australia for years and never joined in Australia because the overseas prices and rebate deals are FAR BETTER than anything ever offered in Oz. It's too bad because I use to be a Costco regular. There were amazing deals to be had overseas...but not in Australia. Watch your prices if shopping at Costco. They're often not 'deals' at all.