Aussies could pay an additional $1 per cup of coffee as sharp increase in import costs hits cafes

Aussies could pay an additional $1 per cup of coffee as sharp increase in import costs hits cafes
There's no doubt that Australia has some of the best coffee in the world; the reason why a lot of Aussies, even us here at the SDC, are self-confessed devotees of this classic beverage.

However, we might soon be spending a bit more on our daily dose of this caffeine-packed drink as prices are expected to spike in the coming days.

Rp9Hsx-3LUAPo-Ks8lZ79lnEkB1zogz-U_ctvhID_xkLBv3Za5waSc7o6y4K5JY8xJDwI0vRP7wi5eU4UcL6L4BUwZT7wryZ4mK83y2yodcYERgIEzYQbiK22v479JxfXL1WhQ0

The Cafe Owners and Baristas Association of Australia warned that Aussies will ‘definitely’ be expecting to pay an additional fee per cup of coffee as shipping costs increase. Credit: AAP Image.

The Cafe Owners and Baristas Association of Australia said that Aussies should'definitely' be expecting to pay an additional fee of up to $1 per cup of coffee, estimating an increase of around 50 cents to $1 per cup as freight and shipping costs are increasing indefinitely.

It was also reported that cafes in urban areas will be the most affected by the increase in freight and shipping costs.

The Cafe Owners and Baristas Association of Australia spokesman told NCA NewsWire: 'As things start to open back up again, I think we'll see it.'

He said that up to 25 per cent of cafes in Australia were forced to stop operations due to the continuous lockdowns.

GZ9wsUiGet6IMSNEqD4VLn1g-3CkSrpeVLDf1BR08QTbLHbjS_wpW8kCYEt4ON0f7DY7-ZNKk2Toa6-g_FyaRJFdhy35sV_mHXhT0IZFK4v82wwa5JbDpHMcPAuxC-UBwOmSmqk

An estimate of 25 per cent of cafes in Australia has stopped operations due to the continuous lockdowns. Credit: Getty Images.

'That's gonna level things out a bit so that the competition, especially in the inner city, probably won’t be as high … so you'll probably see $1 a cup going up,' he said.

Aside from the increase in freight and shipping costs, which doubled in the last year, bean production has also been affected in Brazil due to severe drought.

A number of cafes have already started selling coffee at a higher cost, including Bread Social in northern NSW, which has increased prices by five per cent for the first time in five years.

Bread Social Director Sam Saulwick told the ABC: 'We're having to make some quick and drastic changes to make sure that we aren't going backwards ourselves.'

'I think that's something you're going to see across the board.'

'I just don't think long term people are going to be able to weather those ongoing costs without passing it on.'

What are your opinions of this coffee price hike? Tell us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Firstly, the only coffee I drink is cappucchino if I am out for lunch (rarely these days) so no big problem for me. Secondly, my granddaughter has a coffee van so I get 'shouted' if I ever want one. Lucky me.

dose it feel like your going to be ripped off. $ 1 per cup. approximately 7 grams of coffee per cup ,that’s 140 cups per kg .multiplied by $1 = $140 increased profit. i hardly think that kind of increase is justified to cover increased costs.i pay$36 per kg for beans. i don’t think coffee shops could justify that increase. ☕