Aussies can't believe how much this popular stadium snack costs - is it really worth it?

We Aussies are a passionate bunch, especially when it comes to our sports teams. There's nothing we love more than getting together with mates to watch our favourite athletes take on the competition – whether it's at the local pub or at the stadium.

Unfortunately, as any avid sports fan knows all too well, prices for food and drinks at stadiums can be pretty outrageous. And according to a recent post on Reddit, things are no different over at Optus Stadium in Perth.

An attendee of a recent event took to the social media platform to share a photo of the stadium's snack bar menu, and let's just say people were not impressed by what they saw...

Many users were left scratching their heads after they took notice of the exorbitant prices of snacks, which range from $6 for a bag of Cherry Ripes to $8 for a packet of Snickers. Elsewhere on the menu, the price for a small bag of chips is $5.50, and a bag of lollies goes for $6.20.

7973ddd0-71d6-11ed-ba7f-b8e6809a9986

The Optus Stadium in Perth faced criticism for its rates for snacks. Credit: Reddit.

'Something as simple as paying $6 for a Cherry Ripe can leave you with a sour taste in your mouth and puts you off attending other events at the stadium in the future,' the Reddit user wrote in their post.

Others took the opportunity to compare the prices of the items to their retail price in supermarkets.

One user shared: 'A Woolworths special-price Cherry Ripe costs only $1 (or less), while a regular-price Cherry Ripe costs $2 at Coles.'

Regardless, several took to the comments to express their rage over the 'extremely high' prices of snacks in the stadium.

One person wrote: 'Honestly, that's revolting.'

'That price is totally f***king outrageous,' another said.

Meanwhile, other sports enthusiasts speculated that the expensive snacks may cause attendance at sporting events to drop.

'Selling or bidding on the rights to sell food (have a choke point monopoly) in these places may help the stadium once every rental renewal cycle but overall it discourages people from turning up to events,' another said.

An Optus Stadium representative also addressed the fan’s post, claiming that spectators have been paying the same amount for years.

'The chocolate bar price at the stadium has been the same since the venue's opening in 2018,' the spokesperson remarked.

Optus Stadium also acknowledged that not everyone has the capability to purchase snacks while attending their events. Because of this, the representative said that the establishment has now updated its guidelines, allowing spectators to bring their own food into events (as long as it doesn't contain glass or sealed bottles).

Key Takeaways

• Spectators at Optus Stadium in Perth, Australia are outraged by the high prices of food at the venue's snack bar.
  • A representative of Optus Stadium said that the prices have been the same since the venue opened in 2018.
  • Redditors were stunned by the venue's pricing, with many pointing out that the prices are 'ridiculous'.

So, if you're planning on attending any sporting events there in future, make sure you take advantage of this new rule before heading off – your wallet will definitely thank you for it!

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think stadiums are overcharging attendees for food and drinks?

Sponsored
Some friends of ours have jointly operated a stall at Optus Stadium since 2018. They barely make a profit when the stadium is less than 75% full during functions and games. This is due to the exorbitant leases they have to pay. They lost EVERYTHING during shutdowns, when the stadium was empty, but they still had to pay their leases. And, as everyone knows, WA had VERY LONG shutdowns. Even when the AFL grand final was there, they only came out with a meagre profit. The amount that they have to pay employees is beyond ridiculous, due to most functions and games being either on weekends, public holidays or during off-peak times attracting overtime rates, hence the reason they are in a "joint venture", to limit labour costs as much as possible.
I thought Melbourne and NSW had the longest lockdowns followed by Queensland.

I thought WA just locked everyone else out

Reactions: Ricci
We Aussies are a passionate bunch, especially when it comes to our sports teams. There's nothing we love more than getting together with mates to watch our favourite athletes take on the competition – whether it's at the local pub or at the stadium.

Unfortunately, as any avid sports fan knows all too well, prices for food and drinks at stadiums can be pretty outrageous. And according to a recent post on Reddit, things are no different over at Optus Stadium in Perth.

An attendee of a recent event took to the social media platform to share a photo of the stadium's snack bar menu, and let's just say people were not impressed by what they saw...

Many users were left scratching their heads after they took notice of the exorbitant prices of snacks, which range from $6 for a bag of Cherry Ripes to $8 for a packet of Snickers. Elsewhere on the menu, the price for a small bag of chips is $5.50, and a bag of lollies goes for $6.20.

7973ddd0-71d6-11ed-ba7f-b8e6809a9986

The Optus Stadium in Perth faced criticism for its rates for snacks. Credit: Reddit.

'Something as simple as paying $6 for a Cherry Ripe can leave you with a sour taste in your mouth and puts you off attending other events at the stadium in the future,' the Reddit user wrote in their post.

Others took the opportunity to compare the prices of the items to their retail price in supermarkets.

One user shared: 'A Woolworths special-price Cherry Ripe costs only $1 (or less), while a regular-price Cherry Ripe costs $2 at Coles.'

Regardless, several took to the comments to express their rage over the 'extremely high' prices of snacks in the stadium.

One person wrote: 'Honestly, that's revolting.'

'That price is totally f***king outrageous,' another said.

Meanwhile, other sports enthusiasts speculated that the expensive snacks may cause attendance at sporting events to drop.

'Selling or bidding on the rights to sell food (have a choke point monopoly) in these places may help the stadium once every rental renewal cycle but overall it discourages people from turning up to events,' another said.

An Optus Stadium representative also addressed the fan’s post, claiming that spectators have been paying the same amount for years.

'The chocolate bar price at the stadium has been the same since the venue's opening in 2018,' the spokesperson remarked.

Optus Stadium also acknowledged that not everyone has the capability to purchase snacks while attending their events. Because of this, the representative said that the establishment has now updated its guidelines, allowing spectators to bring their own food into events (as long as it doesn't contain glass or sealed bottles).

Key Takeaways

• Spectators at Optus Stadium in Perth, Australia are outraged by the high prices of food at the venue's snack bar.
  • A representative of Optus Stadium said that the prices have been the same since the venue opened in 2018.
  • Redditors were stunned by the venue's pricing, with many pointing out that the prices are 'ridiculous'.

So, if you're planning on attending any sporting events there in future, make sure you take advantage of this new rule before heading off – your wallet will definitely thank you for it!

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think stadiums are overcharging attendees for food and drinks?
Whenever we go to the cinema Ihad a large shoulder bag would fit several drinks and snacks like maltesers only the generic version at half the price and my sons would go get the tickets and I would just walk in with all our goodies.
I went to Lang Park in Brisbane about 5 years ago to watch the Broncos play . My wife made a couple of ham/salad rolls and we also took 2 frozen bottles of water , plus 4 cans of Pepsi . I planned on having a couple of beers as well ,if I felt like it .
When we had one of the rolls and a can of Pepsi , I was surprised when 3 ,yes 3 , security guards turned up and demanded we give up the food and drink , or leave the ground . When I explained that security checked our bags when we entered the ground , they demanded I tell them which gate we entered through.
The guards told me they had observed us on CCTV .
On that day , I decided never to attend another game at Lang Park , and I had attended most State of Origin Games and probably 60% of Broncos home games .
Now , I attend every single Valleys Diehards games in the Brisbane Rugby League , and I buy all our food and drink at the clubs , as it is all priced reasonably

• Wow
Whenever we go to the cinema Ihad a large shoulder bag would fit several drinks and snacks like maltesers only the generic version at half the price and my sons would go get the tickets and I would just walk in with all our goodies.
I went to Lang Park in Brisbane about 5 years ago to watch the Broncos play . My wife made a couple of ham/salad rolls and we also took 2 frozen bottles of water , plus 4 cans of Pepsi . I planned on having a couple of beers as well ,if I felt like it .
When we had one of the rolls and a can of Pepsi , I was surprised when 3 ,yes 3 , security guards turned up and demanded we give up the food and drink , or leave the ground . When I explained that security checked our bags when we entered the ground , they demanded I tell them which gate we entered through.
The guards told me they had observed us on CCTV .
On that day , I decided never to attend another game at Lang Park , and I had attended most State of Origin Games and probably 60% of Broncos home games .
Now , I attend every single Valleys Diehards games in the Brisbane Rugby League , and I buy all our food and drink at the clubs , as it is all priced reasonably
That's how you do it