Aussies are turning to crime to cope with the rising cost of living! Study finds almost 4 million people steal from supermarkets and servos

The cost of living has been rising steadily for years and shows no signs of slowing down. This has put a lot of financial pressure on Aussies, causing them to seek out any means necessary to make ends meet. Unfortunately, this has led to some questionable methods.

Fresh reports from the Finder National Survey revealed that an alarming number of Australians steal at self-serve checkouts in supermarkets and petrol stations due to the never-ending consequences of inflation on purchasing power, with over four million admitting to stealing essentials in the previous year.

The study also found that around two million consumers self-scan goods like avocados and pass them off as less expensive vegetables like onions.

The study concluded that one in five Australians, or 3.8 million people, admitted to stealing anything. This included 10% of shoppers who lied about what they had scanned and 9% of shoppers who stole using self-serve checkouts and 6% of drivers who claimed they had driven off without paying for petrol.

On the brighter side, the Finder study also found out that consumers were on the cautious side when it came to leaving a café or restaurant without paying, with 98% admitting they had never done it.

It also revealed that 81% of consumers claimed they had not lied at checkouts, stolen petrol, or skipped paying the bill at a restaurant.

TSGYWUCoGFJ_mYBCKYwn-pqEhijfbb_1niJ7e0RtS5USYb4iWNXMgleKpifM_pQ1rVsUUojUOlZgtohvkfHEkzMmveZgT4lda9ZXxcO7IyX5JHcqdi9t_cMMX4Ex1TUYFCB8MRJE8TDW5kyTj0HRj2fbncMj_Il4XObnnjYHldFnUXxt69NQ37xz

It was said that many Australians resort to stealing from supermarket stores through self-serve registers to cut down their costs. Credit: Shutterstock/Dr Victor Wong.

The study results come after consumer prices increased by more than 6% over the previous year as inflation reached its highest level in two decades.

Finance expert Richard Whitten, who served as the advisor for the study, pointed out that Australians are resorting to 'stealing' to survive, stressing that some consumers struggle to pay for essentials and noting that the typical shopper spends $526.86 a month on groceries.

He explained: 'A lot of people are doing it tough as the cost of essentials like petrol, rent and energy have risen sharply.'

'The result is a growing subset of Australians who are stealing consumables to survive.'

Prices for fruits, vegetables, cereal, bread, eggs, oils, and butter have all increased significantly in the past year. Vegetable prices have increased the most, with prices jumping 7.3% nationally during the past three months due to widespread flooding in southeast Queensland and New South Wales.

Representatives of grocery retailers confirmed that they are making every effort to stop consumers from stealing goods worth billions of dollars each year.

Coles and Woolworths have added security cameras and sophisticated scanning equipment that can identify every last feature of a product, right down to the kind of apple a customer is weighing.

nZj-LWjSGMQ86YTsIW6duZ9ZmI4C02Z_tj6KTaBGatkIf_Vmyg0-4WEzytQCfox1KUgE0ZLBn-N7eTbzTMMM3noQTcUK-tIwy4QZrU5TrCpOyFvzCRauAPZ9bbPGwDfC9mDFVojG9yNE6RSmZs3UktfNHl_B5TIj8TtDUU32L1WqL43QU3U7dJ4A

According to the study, 6% of drivers admitted to leaving the petrol station without paying in the last year. Credit: Shutterstock/Vladyslav Starozhylov.

It was said that the two retailers have suffered the most loss over theft, with Woolworths losing up to $1 billion annually and Coles predicting to lose $891 million annually.

Meanwhile, Mr Whitten suggested a safer way to reduce expenses.

'Loyalty doesn't pay – shop around for the best deal on all your expenses. Simple switches could save you hundreds of dollars a year.'

'If you're really struggling to make ends meet, contact your bill providers and ask them about their hardship policies or payment plans. They can work with you to alleviate some stress and get on the front foot.'

The choices we make each day have an ethical component to them. While it can't be denied that many of our decisions are made to save money, it’s clear some Aussies resort to unethical practices to achieve this goal. This is obviously not the best option.

If you’re struggling with food insecurity, please don’t hesitate to ask for help. The Foodbank website can help direct you to your nearest charity locations. We all need help sometimes, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.

We also recommend regularly checking out the Money Saving Hacks section of the SDC website for tips on how to cut down on costs.

What’s your best money-saving hack? Share it with us in the comments.

• Wow
Reactions: Zoya, RTS and Ricci
Sponsored
I can honestly say that I have never knowingly stolen anything. In my book, if you can't afford to pay for it you can't have it, simple. It's hard sometimes but at the end of the day you have to live with yourself and I know that I can sleep soundly every night with a guilt free conscience,:)

The cost of living has been rising steadily for years and shows no signs of slowing down. This has put a lot of financial pressure on Aussies, causing them to seek out any means necessary to make ends meet. Unfortunately, this has led to some questionable methods.

Fresh reports from the Finder National Survey revealed that an alarming number of Australians steal at self-serve checkouts in supermarkets and petrol stations due to the never-ending consequences of inflation on purchasing power, with over four million admitting to stealing essentials in the previous year.

The study also found that around two million consumers self-scan goods like avocados and pass them off as less expensive vegetables like onions.

The study concluded that one in five Australians, or 3.8 million people, admitted to stealing anything. This included 10% of shoppers who lied about what they had scanned and 9% of shoppers who stole using self-serve checkouts and 6% of drivers who claimed they had driven off without paying for petrol.

On the brighter side, the Finder study also found out that consumers were on the cautious side when it came to leaving a café or restaurant without paying, with 98% admitting they had never done it.

It also revealed that 81% of consumers claimed they had not lied at checkouts, stolen petrol, or skipped paying the bill at a restaurant.

TSGYWUCoGFJ_mYBCKYwn-pqEhijfbb_1niJ7e0RtS5USYb4iWNXMgleKpifM_pQ1rVsUUojUOlZgtohvkfHEkzMmveZgT4lda9ZXxcO7IyX5JHcqdi9t_cMMX4Ex1TUYFCB8MRJE8TDW5kyTj0HRj2fbncMj_Il4XObnnjYHldFnUXxt69NQ37xz

It was said that many Australians resort to stealing from supermarket stores through self-serve registers to cut down their costs. Credit: Shutterstock/Dr Victor Wong.

The study results come after consumer prices increased by more than 6% over the previous year as inflation reached its highest level in two decades.

Finance expert Richard Whitten, who served as the advisor for the study, pointed out that Australians are resorting to 'stealing' to survive, stressing that some consumers struggle to pay for essentials and noting that the typical shopper spends $526.86 a month on groceries.

He explained: 'A lot of people are doing it tough as the cost of essentials like petrol, rent and energy have risen sharply.'

'The result is a growing subset of Australians who are stealing consumables to survive.'

Prices for fruits, vegetables, cereal, bread, eggs, oils, and butter have all increased significantly in the past year. Vegetable prices have increased the most, with prices jumping 7.3% nationally during the past three months due to widespread flooding in southeast Queensland and New South Wales.

Representatives of grocery retailers confirmed that they are making every effort to stop consumers from stealing goods worth billions of dollars each year.

Coles and Woolworths have added security cameras and sophisticated scanning equipment that can identify every last feature of a product, right down to the kind of apple a customer is weighing.

nZj-LWjSGMQ86YTsIW6duZ9ZmI4C02Z_tj6KTaBGatkIf_Vmyg0-4WEzytQCfox1KUgE0ZLBn-N7eTbzTMMM3noQTcUK-tIwy4QZrU5TrCpOyFvzCRauAPZ9bbPGwDfC9mDFVojG9yNE6RSmZs3UktfNHl_B5TIj8TtDUU32L1WqL43QU3U7dJ4A

According to the study, 6% of drivers admitted to leaving the petrol station without paying in the last year. Credit: Shutterstock/Vladyslav Starozhylov.

It was said that the two retailers have suffered the most loss over theft, with Woolworths losing up to $1 billion annually and Coles predicting to lose $891 million annually.

'Loyalty doesn't pay – shop around for the best deal on all your expenses. Simple switches could save you hundreds of dollars a year.'

'If you're really struggling to make ends meet, contact your bill providers and ask them about their hardship policies or payment plans. They can work with you to alleviate some stress and get on the front foot.'

The choices we make each day have an ethical component to them. While it can't be denied that many of our decisions are made to save money, it’s clear some Aussies resort to unethical practices to achieve this goal. This is obviously not the best option.

If you’re struggling with food insecurity, please don’t hesitate to ask for help. The Foodbank website can help direct you to your nearest charity locations. We all need help sometimes, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.

We also recommend regularly checking out the Money Saving Hacks section of the SDC website for tips on how to cut down on costs.

Perhaps some see it as a way of fighting back? Fighting what you ask? The false advertising on packaging.. The false labelling of products as “healthy” when they contain sugar and carbohydrates. The food you buy but when you get it home is rotten. The charges for a bag. The practice of price gouging our farmers.

Supermarkets are not the most ethical in this world. The same people would not behave like this in a corner shop!

in Italy it is no longer a crime to shoplift food from a supermarket to feed a starving family.

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I stole something! I have occasionally found something in my trolley that I forgot to put through in the supermarket, I always go back and explain and pay for it. I usually get surprised looks from the staff!

One I make a point of not using self-checkout. Two I like to think that my name is worth more than having my collar felt for a couple of dollars-worth of goods.

Reactions: debjane and Ricci
'Australians are resorting to stealing to survive' ? 'Some consumers struggle to pay for essentials' & 'the typical shopper spends $526.86 a month on groceries' ........ all of those statements are garbage!! Firstly, Australians (!!) are NOT stealing - it's only dishonest people who steal. Period! The words 'struggle', 'essential' & typical' are generalisations & every person would interpret struggle, essential and typical differently.
Secondly, I wouldn't steal even if I was starving and I have! Many years back when things were tough, my husband and I existed on Nice biscuits & a cup of tea several nights every week in order to make ends meet. Struggle? Well, life is a bloody struggle for many people - just in varying degrees. Essential? What that means to me could be the total opposite of what it means to someone else. Essential for me is catfood (for my cats, not me!) and whatever I can bloody well afford for myself! $526.86 a month on groceries...... what? who? per person? per couple?? per family? Ooooh! I feel a bit cross!! Going to have a cup of tea & a TimTam right now (cos not broke!)

• Love
Reactions: debjane and Ricci