Aussie traveller in Japan is gobsmacked by glass public bathrooms

We here at the SDC love learning about different cultures, and there's no better way to do that than by travelling the world! Every country has its own customs and quirks, and it can be eye-opening to see how other people live.

Even if you're a seasoned traveller, there's always something new to learn. Just ask this Australian woman who was recently shocked by what she saw while travelling in Japan.

Aussie traveller Sarah Betts found it slightly ‘unnerving’ to use completely transparent toilets when she travelled to Japan.

She uploaded a video to her TikTok which showed how the public glass bathrooms mist over once the door is locked. She admitted she was ‘nervous’ to try it out, and her followers were quick to share their shock over the ‘bizarre’ toilets.

‘You can see straight into this public bathroom,’ Sarah shared.

japan.jpg
Sarah said the glass bathroom is only transparent if unoccupied. Credit: Ryutaro Tsukata in Pexels

She added: ‘Let me just tell you I was a little bit nervous to go to the bathroom in Japan because I didn't want anyone watching me.’

Sarah reassured everyone that once the door is locked, the glass ‘mists over’ and nobody can see inside.

‘It felt kind of weird though. Would you use it?’ She asked her followers.

Most of her followers said they’d ‘never trust these’ bathrooms, for fear of it malfunctioning.

‘I saw these while I was in Japan and despite how much I needed to go, I went to the station instead,’ shared one woman.

‘I went in one of those and forgot to lock it,’ added another.

Someone wrote that they’d be so scared, to which Sarah replied that she ‘wouldn’t want it to malfunction, that’s for sure’.

japan2.jpg
Would you use one of these toilets? Credit: Sarah Betts/TikTok

One woman asked why the bathroom was made this way in the first place, and another user pointed out that it makes it easier for others to see if it’s occupied.

‘But it’s still so extra,’ the user said.

Others joked around in the comments section.

‘With my luck, I’ll be halfway through doing my business and it malfunctions,’ said one amused user.

Another woman commented: ‘I would be too afraid of forgetting to lock it.’

‘Imagine if the power got cut out,’ a man added.

Someone else joked: ‘I have stage fright.’

Some people said that they would use it, provided that they have someone else stand by in case it malfunctions.

‘I would but someone’s gotta make sure they don’t see me.’

Sarah has been documenting her adventures in Japan, where she also compares the food and cost difference to Australia.

You can watch her video below:

Key Takeaways

• An Australian woman was surprised to see that people in Japan use transparent toilets that fog over when in use.
  • Sarah Betts uploaded a video of the toilets to her popular TikTok account, and her followers were shocked to see the 'bizarre' toilets.
  • Many of her followers said they would not be keen to try out the 'risky' toilets.
What can you say about this, members? If you found one of these, would you be willing to try it? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
When we visited our son and family in Tokyo we found on the main Bullet trains as well as Japanese toilets there were also English style, and at most of the toilets in resteraunts ect. had old people outside selling toilet paper; lesson learnt always have sheets of toilet paper in your pockets or the ladies in their handbags and learn to squat.

When we visited our son and family in Tokyo we found on the main Bullet trains as well as Japanese toilets there were also English style, and at most of the toilets in resteraunts ect. had old people outside selling toilet paper; lesson learnt always have sheets of toilet paper in your pockets or the ladies in their handbags and learn to squat.
I remember when I was a kid we had to pay to use public toilets, not much different than having to buy the toilet paper :)

We here at the SDC love learning about different cultures, and there's no better way to do that than by travelling the world! Every country has its own customs and quirks, and it can be eye-opening to see how other people live.

Even if you're a seasoned traveller, there's always something new to learn. Just ask this Australian woman who was recently shocked by what she saw while travelling in Japan.

Aussie traveller Sarah Betts found it slightly ‘unnerving’ to use completely transparent toilets when she travelled to Japan.

She uploaded a video to her TikTok which showed how the public glass bathrooms mist over once the door is locked. She admitted she was ‘nervous’ to try it out, and her followers were quick to share their shock over the ‘bizarre’ toilets.

‘You can see straight into this public bathroom,’ Sarah shared.

View attachment 9387
Sarah said the glass bathroom is only transparent if unoccupied. Credit: Ryutaro Tsukata in Pexels

She added: ‘Let me just tell you I was a little bit nervous to go to the bathroom in Japan because I didn't want anyone watching me.’

Sarah reassured everyone that once the door is locked, the glass ‘mists over’ and nobody can see inside.

‘It felt kind of weird though. Would you use it?’ She asked her followers.

Most of her followers said they’d ‘never trust these’ bathrooms, for fear of it malfunctioning.

‘I saw these while I was in Japan and despite how much I needed to go, I went to the station instead,’ shared one woman.

‘I went in one of those and forgot to lock it,’ added another.

Someone wrote that they’d be so scared, to which Sarah replied that she ‘wouldn’t want it to malfunction, that’s for sure’.

View attachment 9388
Would you use one of these toilets? Credit: Sarah Betts/TikTok

One woman asked why the bathroom was made this way in the first place, and another user pointed out that it makes it easier for others to see if it’s occupied.

‘But it’s still so extra,’ the user said.

Others joked around in the comments section.

‘With my luck, I’ll be halfway through doing my business and it malfunctions,’ said one amused user.

Another woman commented: ‘I would be too afraid of forgetting to lock it.’

‘Imagine if the power got cut out,’ a man added.

Someone else joked: ‘I have stage fright.’

Some people said that they would use it, provided that they have someone else stand by in case it malfunctions.

‘I would but someone’s gotta make sure they don’t see me.’

Sarah has been documenting her adventures in Japan, where she also compares the food and cost difference to Australia.

You can watch her video below:

Key Takeaways

• An Australian woman was surprised to see that people in Japan use transparent toilets that fog over when in use.
  • Sarah Betts uploaded a video of the toilets to her popular TikTok account, and her followers were shocked to see the 'bizarre' toilets.
  • Many of her followers said they would not be keen to try out the 'risky' toilets.
What can you say about this, members? If you found one of these, would you be willing to try it? Share your thoughts in the comments!

The western world is overly concerned about bits of flesh. We have all got these parts, there’s nothing new about them. Why everyone is so concerned beats me. What are others going to do with the information?

in Japan men and women bathe together without clothing. They are not so egotistical or arrogant about their bodies. The religious zealots of the western world made you all cringe at the sight of flesh. Time to get over it.

if a women wants to breast feed a baby it is perfectly natural thing. So is one relieving oneself.

• Angry
Reactions: terri and Helenmac
I remember when I was a kid we had to pay to use public toilets, not much different than having to buy the toilet paper :)

The western world is overly concerned about bits of flesh. We have all got these parts, there’s nothing new about them. Why everyone is so concerned beats me. What are others going to do with the information?

in Japan men and women bathe together without clothing. They are not so egotistical or arrogant about their bodies. The religious zealots of the western world made you all cringe at the sight of flesh. Time to get over it.

if a women wants to breast feed a baby it is perfectly natural thing. So is one relieving oneself.
I breast fed in public , didn't bother me although I would never sun bake topless at a beach and hubby wouldn't have liked it either. As for going to the toilet in public...definitely not there is just something you need to keep private.

My uncle and aunt travelled the world and loved most countries , one of their last was a trip to India and as they were on a tour bus they were mortified to see both men and women squatting in the street doing no 2 this might be natural to some but seriously this is Disgusting and animalistic

Last edited:
Reactions: debjane
I would be a bit scared to use these toilets, incase there was a malfunction or close up you could see inside.
I'm far from a prued but there are just some things you need to keep private.

I remember when I was little and needing to use coins to go to the bathroom.
I remember being with my grandmother and I went first and would make sure when I came out that I held open the door so she could go in.

Reactions: debjane and Vet543
I breast fed in public , didn't bother me although I would never sun bake topless at a beach and hubby wouldn't have liked it either. As for going to the toilet in public...definitely not there is just something you need to keep private.

My uncle and uncle travelled the world and loved most countries , one of their last was a trip to India and as they were on a tour bus they were mortified to see both men and women squatting in the street doing no 2 this might be natural to some but seriously this is Disgusting and animalistic
I’ve worked in teams designing and building sewage pumping stations and treatment plants. The western world world would be a very sick place without them. People don’t like to think of this infrastructure that is keeping them healthy, far more than all the medicines. They just want it to work. In India they don’t have the luxury of that infrastructure in rural areas. Needs be must!

I am far more critical of the “disgusting and animalistic“ behaviour of the Russians in Ukraine or the authoritarian regimes in Iran, China, N. Korea, Somalia and Ethiopia.

Reactions: terri and debjane
I’ve worked in teams designing and building sewage pumping stations and treatment plants. The western world world would be a very sick place without them. People don’t like to think of this infrastructure that is keeping them healthy, far more than all the medicines. They just want it to work. In India they don’t have the luxury of that infrastructure in rural areas. Needs be must!

I am far more critical of the “disgusting and animalistic“ behaviour of the Russians in Ukraine or the authoritarian regimes in Iran, China, N. Korea, Somalia and Ethiopia.
That's a whole other story

I would be a bit scared to use these toilets, incase there was a malfunction or close up you could see inside.
I'm far from a prued but there are just some things you need to keep private.

I remember when I was little and needing to use coins to go to the bathroom.
I remember being with my grandmother and I went first and would make sure when I came out that I held open the door so she could go in.
Me too ... Here I sit down-hearted ' Paid a penny and only Fa**ed'
Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves... Some people would say... Now I have a jar full of pennies and am still looking for the pounds ... any hints?

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Me too ... Here I sit down-hearted ' Paid a penny and only Fa**ed'
Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves... Some people would say... Now I have a jar full of pennies and am still looking for the pounds ... any hints?
I have a lot of extra pounds these days, but they call them 'kilos' now. But I get you meaning.

• Haha
Reactions: Loren