Aussie tenant fights back as real estate agent charges $550 for repairs

When renting property, you should know your rights and duties. So, if you feel your landlord is asking too much money for mere damages, you need to do something about it!

Case in point: an Australian renter was charged $550 for a minor chip in the kitchen benchtop of her former flat—a request that seemed a little too high for supposed natural ‘wear and tear’.

The woman shared a picture of the benchtop taken two weeks post-move on social media, with the image distinctly displaying the minor chip.

She then mentioned that the damage was due to her partner accidentally dropping a ‘Pyrex bowl’.

‘The quote they gave me just seemed unusually high. I’ve gotten two separate quotes now, with the lowest being $286. It just seems they’re pulling numbers out of their a**.’

The woman further shared that her agent sent her the original repair quote in an informal email.

Although she was willing to get the damage fixed, she worried there was no official bill or proof of the repair.

9077799c3226fa070aa4bc96ed8d7139.jpg
An Aussie renter asked to reimburse rental agents $550 for kitchen benchtop repair. Image sources: Reddit

Moreover, the agent had requested to withdraw their bond claim.

She sought advice on the best course of action without overpaying for the damage.

What is considered ‘fair wear and tear’ in rentals?

In Australia, rental properties account for ‘wear and tear’ due to ageing and regular use.

Tenants Victoria states renters and their guests shouldn't cause intentional or negligent damage to the property or common areas, but instances of fair ‘wear and tear’ are not considered this type of damage.

However, several factors can influence the distinction between ‘wear and tear’ and damage, including the length of the tenant’s residency and the age, extent, and location of the affected area.

In most cases, the difference depends on typical usage. If items degrade naturally due to regular use, they are typically categorised as fair wear and tear.

antique-2149780_1280.jpg
As per Consumer Affairs Victoria, renters are not authorised to arrange and cover the expenses of urgent repairs exceeding $2500. Image source: Pixabay

‘For example, minor scuff marks on walls or floors, marks caused by foot traffic on carpets, or worn and faded curtains or blinds are all considered fair wear and tear under the Consumer Affairs Victoria guidelines.’

How to dispute property damage claims

When dealing with disputes as a tenant, start by thoroughly reviewing your lease agreement.

Pay close attention to sections concerning property condition, maintenance, and tenant responsibilities.

Document any damage with clear, dated photos or videos, including pre-existing issues and the specific damage in question—this will serve as key evidence.

Communicate with your real estate agent (through a letter or an email), outlining why the repair bill is unreasonable and asserting your tenant rights.

Always try to negotiate a more reasonable cost or a 50/50 cost-sharing arrangement.

If negotiations fail, consider applying to the tribunal to dispute the repair cost, especially if it conflicts with your weekly rent.

In complex or contentious situations, seeking legal advice or assistance from a tenant's advocacy organisation can be beneficial.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie tenant is disputing a $550 repair bill for a minor chip in her kitchen benchtop, claiming that the cost is too high for the level of damage.
  • The issue has reopened discussions on what constitutes fair wear and tear in a rental property, with the tenant also criticising the lack of an invoice or proof of repair.
  • According to Tenants Victoria, damage does not include fair wear and tear, but the definition of these terms can vary depending on several aspects, such as the property's age, the damage's size, and its location.
  • For tenants in a similar situation, understanding lease terms, documenting the damage, negotiating for an acceptable cost, and seeking legal advice are recommended steps to handle potential disputes.
Members, if you were the renter in this story, how would you feel about spending $550 for wear and tear repairs? And speaking of wear and tear, how do you define it from your own perspective? Share your insights and opinions in the comments below—we’re all ears!

Reactions: Chris and Ezzy
Sponsored
The cause of the damage and the composition of the countertops should be investigated as some of the countertops are fake and merely compressed sand bound together by a resin and over time are useless.

As far as the landlord and tenant association goes they are a waste of time and are a toothless tiger... they sit on the fence....

I am not sure how they would repair that damage. If it's just the front strip it would probably be in the $200 range, however if the top of the bench is damaged then the whole bench top would need to be relaminated which could cost a lot more. Tradies charge ridiculous amounts these days, but you are definitely allowed to see the quote or request more than one
Bench tops are a contentious issue. We had very bad damage to a kitchen bench top, two burn marks from hot pots, cut marks from knives and a large piece chipped from the front.
The whole top needed to be relaminated the bond didn't even cover it. The other problem being that like any manufactured item, e.g., tiles, vinyl flooring, curtains, carpet, etc it is impossible to match the colour 100% because if the dye lots.

Reactions: Ezzy and IAN3005
I am not sure how they would repair that damage. If it's just the front strip it would probably be in the $200 range, however if the top of the bench is damaged then the whole bench top would need to be relaminated which could cost a lot more. Tradies charge ridiculous amounts these days, but you are definitely allowed to see the quote or request more than one
Bench tops are a contentious issue. We had very bad damage to a kitchen bench top, two burn marks from hot pots, cut marks from knives and a large piece chipped from the front.
The whole top needed to be relaminated the bond didn't even cover it. The other problem being that like any manufactured item, e.g., tiles, vinyl flooring, curtains, carpet, etc it is impossible to match the colour 100% because if the dye lots.
Get an Asian to do the job.... halve the price and a better job.....

Get an Asian to do the job.... halve the price and a better job.....
Not always the case I'm afraid.
I have mentioned previously that in an earlier life I had a baby Manchester manufacturing business.
I once hired a young Asian girl, who was supposed to be a machinist.
She was the worst machinist I ever hired, she was too slow and very poor slipshod work and a lousy work ethic.
The only way you can survive in Australia, in the rag trade, is to provide a high quality product, that people will pay good money for.
Most fabric items out if Asia are very poor quality workmanship

Not always the case I'm afraid.
I have mentioned previously that in an earlier life I had a baby Manchester manufacturing business.
I once hired a young Asian girl, who was supposed to be a machinist.
She was the worst machinist I ever hired, she was too slow and very poor slipshod work and a lousy work ethic.
The only way you can survive in Australia, in the rag trade, is to provide a high quality product, that people will pay good money for.
Most fabric items out if Asia are very poor quality workmanship
Ha ha ha.... and older 1st generation Asian.... I should have clarified that in the first place.... those educated in the Aussie schools are useless as **** on a bull...

A proper quote is needed from the landlord/real estate. I would have fixed that myself, a little suitable putty/spac filler and matching paint, and you wouldn't have even noticed it.

Reactions: 52KID and Aussie
This is a little money making scam that real estate agents and their repair people use to keep some or all or your bond. They split the money between the repair man and the estate agent in charge of your rental. For anything out the ordinary wear and tear find your own repair man. I know of people who have been charged to repain a whole room because of small makr of scratch.
RENTERS BEWARE.

When renting property, you should know your rights and duties. So, if you feel your landlord is asking too much money for mere damages, you need to do something about it!

Case in point: an Australian renter was charged $550 for a minor chip in the kitchen benchtop of her former flat—a request that seemed a little too high for supposed natural ‘wear and tear’.

The woman shared a picture of the benchtop taken two weeks post-move on social media, with the image distinctly displaying the minor chip.

She then mentioned that the damage was due to her partner accidentally dropping a ‘Pyrex bowl’.

‘The quote they gave me just seemed unusually high. I’ve gotten two separate quotes now, with the lowest being $286. It just seems they’re pulling numbers out of their a**.’

The woman further shared that her agent sent her the original repair quote in an informal email.

Although she was willing to get the damage fixed, she worried there was no official bill or proof of the repair.

View attachment 31978
An Aussie renter asked to reimburse rental agents $550 for kitchen benchtop repair. Image sources: Reddit

She sought advice on the best course of action without overpaying for the damage.

In Australia, rental properties account for ‘wear and tear’ due to ageing and regular use.

Tenants Victoria states renters and their guests shouldn't cause intentional or negligent damage to the property or common areas, but instances of fair ‘wear and tear’ are not considered this type of damage.

However, several factors can influence the distinction between ‘wear and tear’ and damage, including the length of the tenant’s residency and the age, extent, and location of the affected area.

In most cases, the difference depends on typical usage. If items degrade naturally due to regular use, they are typically categorised as fair wear and tear.

View attachment 31977
As per Consumer Affairs Victoria, renters are not authorised to arrange and cover the expenses of urgent repairs exceeding $2500. Image source: Pixabay

‘For example, minor scuff marks on walls or floors, marks caused by foot traffic on carpets, or worn and faded curtains or blinds are all considered fair wear and tear under the Consumer Affairs Victoria guidelines.’

When dealing with disputes as a tenant, start by thoroughly reviewing your lease agreement.

Pay close attention to sections concerning property condition, maintenance, and tenant responsibilities.

Document any damage with clear, dated photos or videos, including pre-existing issues and the specific damage in question—this will serve as key evidence.

Communicate with your real estate agent (through a letter or an email), outlining why the repair bill is unreasonable and asserting your tenant rights.

Always try to negotiate a more reasonable cost or a 50/50 cost-sharing arrangement.

If negotiations fail, consider applying to the tribunal to dispute the repair cost, especially if it conflicts with your weekly rent.

In complex or contentious situations, seeking legal advice or assistance from a tenant's advocacy organisation can be beneficial.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie tenant is disputing a $550 repair bill for a minor chip in her kitchen benchtop, claiming that the cost is too high for the level of damage.
  • The issue has reopened discussions on what constitutes fair wear and tear in a rental property, with the tenant also criticising the lack of an invoice or proof of repair.
  • According to Tenants Victoria, damage does not include fair wear and tear, but the definition of these terms can vary depending on several aspects, such as the property's age, the damage's size, and its location.
  • For tenants in a similar situation, understanding lease terms, documenting the damage, negotiating for an acceptable cost, and seeking legal advice are recommended steps to handle potential disputes.
Members, if you were the renter in this story, how would you feel about spending $550 for wear and tear repairs? And speaking of wear and tear, how do you define it from your own perspective? Share your insights and opinions in the comments below—we’re all ears!
If I lost my or any significant of a bond then see what damage is done done via sledge hammer.

Reactions: Veggiepatch

View attachment 31978

View attachment 31977

Key Takeaways

Why do you even question this as wear and tear when the tennant admits that it was due to dropping the pyrex dish.

Is this a Benchtop or skirting on top of a Benchtops against the wall?

l would suggest this lady is dealing with a scrupulous Land Lord. A Real Estate agent who l did maintenance for did exactly the same to an elderly tenant. I told her l'd fix it for $20 whereas the estate agent wanted $500.

If this is wooden skirting in the photo it could be fixed with wood filler & painted for less than $50 if l was doing the job.

Reactions: IAN3005
Is this a Benchtop or skirting on top of a Benchtops against the wall?

l would suggest this lady is dealing with a scrupulous Land Lord. A Real Estate agent who l did maintenance for did exactly the same to an elderly tenant. I told her l'd fix it for $20 whereas the estate agent wanted $500.

If this is wooden skirting in the photo it could be fixed with wood filler & painted for less than $50 if l was doing the job.