Aussie shoppers are ditching popular brands for generic alternatives amidst skyrocketing living costs

Recently, the cost of living in Australia has become a pressing concern for many households.

It's hardly shocking, then, that recent research discovered about 75 per cent of Australians have turned to generic supermarket brands in the past year to alleviate the mounting strain on their household budgets.

Joan Kane, a pensioner, is among the rising number of shoppers who are making the switch to more cost-effective alternatives.

She shared her insights with 9News, stating, 'It's just too expensive now to buy what you used to buy. You buy the cheapest brands and do what you can. I buy the home brand milk; it's cheaper. Those few dollars are better in my pocket. I feel sorry for the farmers, but I've got to look after my pennies.'

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 2.08.16 PM.png
More and more Aussies have been opting for generic brand products instead of popular brand-name items. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to a recent study conducted by Compare the Market, it turns out that almost three-quarters of Australians have hopped on the generic brand bandwagon in the past year.

But are these generic products comparable in quality to their name-brand counterparts? The consensus among shoppers is that, in most cases, the difference boils down to packaging and marketing, with the actual product being quite similar in quality.

Phillip Portman, a spokesperson for Compare the Market, explained the rationale for this trend, saying, 'A lot of people are feeling the pinch and are looking for more ways to claw back cash.'

The study examined 15 grocery staples featuring items such as pasta, teabags, cheese, and bread. The differences in cost between the home brand and popular Australian brand options at Woolworths were compared and analysed.

To the delight of those concerned about their budgets, the results revealed significant savings. Generics-filled shopping baskets were found to be around half the price of their branded counterparts. For instance, generic white bread was about $2 cheaper, while home-brand olive oil was $9 less expensive.

Portman went on to add, 'When you add that up over a month, it's over $200 in savings, so it's certainly something to consider.'

The study also discovered that consumers were more likely to opt for generic brands in staples like milk, eggs, bread, and butter. However, when it came to coffee, tea, cereal, and confectionery, shoppers seemed more inclined to pay a premium for their favourite brands.

Interestingly, experts suggest that brand loyalty isn't always the most budget-friendly option. When comparing teabags, for example, generic options were found to be roughly $6 cheaper. Similarly, a bulk packet of lollies from a generic label was half the price.

Phillip Portman summed it up neatly: 'If you are willing to make that switch, there are savings.'

Key Takeaways

• Nearly three-quarters of Australians have swapped brand name items for their generic alternatives in the past 12 months to ease the strain on their household budget.
  • New research from Compare the Market shows that about 75 per cent of Australians are choosing home brand options as the cost of living crisis escalates.
  • The study found that generics basket worked out to half the price of the brand products, potentially saving over $200 a month.
  • Shoppers were most likely to opt for generic brands for staples like milk, eggs, bread and butter while being less likely to switch out coffee, tea, cereal and confectionery.

If you're looking for clever ways to make your budget go further, now's the perfect moment to dive into the realm of homebrand products. Think about it: saving money while still relishing the very same items we love? That's what we call a double win!

So, are you also opting for those no-name alternatives instead of fancy brands? What items on your shopping list have you swapped out? And hey, do you have any other supermarket money-saving tips up your sleeve? Don't hold back—let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Recently, the cost of living in Australia has become a pressing concern for many households.

It's hardly shocking, then, that recent research discovered about 75 per cent of Australians have turned to generic supermarket brands in the past year to alleviate the mounting strain on their household budgets.

Joan Kane, a pensioner, is among the rising number of shoppers who are making the switch to more cost-effective alternatives.

She shared her insights with 9News, stating, 'It's just too expensive now to buy what you used to buy. You buy the cheapest brands and do what you can. I buy the home brand milk; it's cheaper. Those few dollars are better in my pocket. I feel sorry for the farmers, but I've got to look after my pennies.'

View attachment 23433
More and more Aussies have been opting for generic brand products instead of popular brand-name items. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to a recent study conducted by Compare the Market, it turns out that almost three-quarters of Australians have hopped on the generic brand bandwagon in the past year.

But are these generic products comparable in quality to their name-brand counterparts? The consensus among shoppers is that, in most cases, the difference boils down to packaging and marketing, with the actual product being quite similar in quality.

Phillip Portman, a spokesperson for Compare the Market, explained the rationale for this trend, saying, 'A lot of people are feeling the pinch and are looking for more ways to claw back cash.'

The study examined 15 grocery staples featuring items such as pasta, teabags, cheese, and bread. The differences in cost between the home brand and popular Australian brand options at Woolworths were compared and analysed.

To the delight of those concerned about their budgets, the results revealed significant savings. Generics-filled shopping baskets were found to be around half the price of their branded counterparts. For instance, generic white bread was about $2 cheaper, while home-brand olive oil was $9 less expensive.

Portman went on to add, 'When you add that up over a month, it's over $200 in savings, so it's certainly something to consider.'

The study also discovered that consumers were more likely to opt for generic brands in staples like milk, eggs, bread, and butter. However, when it came to coffee, tea, cereal, and confectionery, shoppers seemed more inclined to pay a premium for their favourite brands.

Interestingly, experts suggest that brand loyalty isn't always the most budget-friendly option. When comparing teabags, for example, generic options were found to be roughly $6 cheaper. Similarly, a bulk packet of lollies from a generic label was half the price.

Phillip Portman summed it up neatly: 'If you are willing to make that switch, there are savings.'

Key Takeaways

• Nearly three-quarters of Australians have swapped brand name items for their generic alternatives in the past 12 months to ease the strain on their household budget.
  • New research from Compare the Market shows that about 75 per cent of Australians are choosing home brand options as the cost of living crisis escalates.
  • The study found that generics basket worked out to half the price of the brand products, potentially saving over $200 a month.
  • Shoppers were most likely to opt for generic brands for staples like milk, eggs, bread and butter while being less likely to switch out coffee, tea, cereal and confectionery.

If you're looking for clever ways to make your budget go further, now's the perfect moment to dive into the realm of homebrand products. Think about it: saving money while still relishing the very same items we love? That's what we call a double win!

So, are you also opting for those no-name alternatives instead of fancy brands? What items on your shopping list have you swapped out? And hey, do you have any other supermarket money-saving tips up your sleeve? Don't hold back—let us know in the comments below!
Now watch the price of the generic start their steady climb towards the ceiling.

With people buying more homebrands Maybe this will make other brands reduce their prices .

My big tip is cook a meal that you can eat over 2 or even 3 days

I cooked a pasta sauce last week that was absolutely amazing , that you can use on top of spaghetti one night and on top of rice another and a third night in a baking dish with potato on top for a shepherds pie.

I will add this recipe later today

• Love
Reactions: RTS and Milica
Generic home brand dairy products are good, as they come from Australian dairy farms.
No matter what I cook for dinner, it always lasts for days with leftovers. Last night, I cooked a whole chicken in the air fryer. Had it with vegetables. So, the rest of the chicken will last for a couple of days. Tonight, I'm cooking turkey rissoles, so ditto with this as well. Air fryer roast vegetables are yummy.

I am the same, I have always bought the home brand dairy, but I also by a lot of home brand tinned lentils, beans, chickpeas, etc. To be perfectly honest I still live in the days where I really had to watch every cent I had. Even now if I can afford it I think twice whether or not do we need it.

Reactions: RTS and Milica
One thing I won't compromise on is my milk. As I am the only one who has milk, I always buy unhomogenised as I feel the cornflakes & milk set me up for the day so if I don't eat anything for lunch or dinner then I am not missing out on much. I drink water or green tea without milk so $4.00 for the milk is ok by me. I probably get 4 bottles a fortnight. As I get up to 16 meat meals a fortnight from Aldi & I use an air fryer to cook I don't often go without dinner unless it is a mince & pasta meal which I never eat either of

Reactions: Milica

View attachment 23433

Key Takeaways

Who makes the generic brands? Years ago a friend who worked in a bread making factory said that the only difference between a packet of popular Brand Name bread and the generic loaf of bread, was the bag it was in!

• Haha
Reactions: Milica
Who makes the generic brands? Years ago a friend who worked in a bread making factory said that the only difference between a packet of popular Brand Name bread and the generic loaf of bread, was the bag it was in!
All made by the same company, put into different labelled bags/boxes/bottles, called something just that little different in spelling but still the same. Even milk comes from cows, eggs from hens so there is no difference there. Pasta sometimes might take a little longer to cook with one brand but made the same way with flour etc. NO DIFFERENCE so come on, people, let us give the big named companies and supermarkets that sell their products a jolly good wake up call. No doubt generic items will eventually rise but the biggest profiteers will be the larger supermarket chains - the little man on the land will continue to suffer as always.

Reactions: Milica and Suemac