Aussie shopper slammed for her ‘inappropriate’ attire in supermarket - do you agree?

An Aussie woman’s video of her shopping in her gym clothes has gone viral on TikTok, sparking a heated debate about whether her attire was ‘appropriate’ or not.

nu-jGfO4-dW_uS7oXvQ1jsFJoYvTN3IublMDpoQw-mrlCFMO6VzBRMhmzKsirRnHBd5tr9IXSUYhEoj-A2CfLM3jyhMIa0tUOXbYuC5drQ-8DQz8Jd1zhih7cK6jdY6UV6V9O0of

A woman said she received ‘uncomfortable’ looks when she wore her gym clothes to the supermarket. Credit: TikTok/@sopheallen.

Sophie Allen, a fitness influencer and a certified personal trainer from Sydney, shared her video on TikTok, showing her grocery shopping at Woolies in her workout clothes.

“The hate you get being a female wearing a crop top in the supermarket just hits different,” she wrote, expressing that women still have to endure judgment from people because of their clothing choices.

In the clip, Sophie can be seen wearing a tight-fitting black sports top paired with purple workout leggings. She said she regularly gets ‘disapproving’ looks from fellow shoppers by merely walking down the grocery aisles.

“It happens anytime I go into a supermarket after a training session in my crop top. It’s so disappointing that in 2022 women are still being judged for their choice in clothing,” said the 31-year-old gym goer.

“It feels frustrating that we’re still expected to look, behave and present ourselves in a certain way to be deemed ‘acceptable’ by society.”

The TikTok video, now with over 1.8M views on the platform, sparked a heated debate among its viewers, arguing whether Sophie was in the wrong or not.

“Just throw on a damn shirt when going in public. The gym is one place, but going into a grocery store like that is another,” one person wrote.

Another person who is against the idea of wearing something so revealing in public said: “It’s like wearing a bathing suit to the movies. The outfit just doesn’t match the location.”

A third person agreed, saying, “It might be because you’re treating a public space like a private space. Have respect for other people when you’re out. It’s not all about you.”

Others also pointed out the difference between a ‘crop top’ and a ‘sports bra’, and Sophie might have been mistaking which is which.

However, many other TikTok users, mostly women, defended Sophie from the backlash.

“If wearing a sports bra makes someone uncomfortable, they are the problem,” wrote one person. Another chimed in and said, “She’s just hot – that’s why you have a problem.”

One woman commented and shared her similar experience, saying: “Omg YES! I feel so uncomfortable, but at the same time, what can I do? If I have to do groceries after the gym, I won’t change just for it.”

Sophie also responded to another woman’s comment and said, “If a man did this, it would be fine.”

Do you agree with Sophie? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Aussie shopper slammed for her ‘inappropriate’ attire in supermarket - do you agree?

An Aussie woman’s video of her shopping in her gym clothes has gone viral on TikTok, sparking a heated debate about whether her attire was ‘appropriate’ or not.

nu-jGfO4-dW_uS7oXvQ1jsFJoYvTN3IublMDpoQw-mrlCFMO6VzBRMhmzKsirRnHBd5tr9IXSUYhEoj-A2CfLM3jyhMIa0tUOXbYuC5drQ-8DQz8Jd1zhih7cK6jdY6UV6V9O0of

A woman said she received ‘uncomfortable’ looks when she wore her gym clothes to the supermarket. Credit: TikTok/@sopheallen.

Sophie Allen, a fitness influencer and a certified personal trainer from Sydney, shared her video on TikTok, showing her grocery shopping at Woolies in her workout clothes.

“The hate you get being a female wearing a crop top in the supermarket just hits different,” she wrote, expressing that women still have to endure judgment from people because of their clothing choices.

In the clip, Sophie can be seen wearing a tight-fitting black sports top paired with purple workout leggings. She said she regularly gets ‘disapproving’ looks from fellow shoppers by merely walking down the grocery aisles.

“It happens anytime I go into a supermarket after a training session in my crop top. It’s so disappointing that in 2022 women are still being judged for their choice in clothing,” said the 31-year-old gym goer.

“It feels frustrating that we’re still expected to look, behave and present ourselves in a certain way to be deemed ‘acceptable’ by society.”

The TikTok video, now with over 1.8M views on the platform, sparked a heated debate among its viewers, arguing whether Sophie was in the wrong or not.

“Just throw on a damn shirt when going in public. The gym is one place, but going into a grocery store like that is another,” one person wrote.

Another person who is against the idea of wearing something so revealing in public said: “It’s like wearing a bathing suit to the movies. The outfit just doesn’t match the location.”

A third person agreed, saying, “It might be because you’re treating a public space like a private space. Have respect for other people when you’re out. It’s not all about you.”

Others also pointed out the difference between a ‘crop top’ and a ‘sports bra’, and Sophie might have been mistaking which is which.

However, many other TikTok users, mostly women, defended Sophie from the backlash.

“If wearing a sports bra makes someone uncomfortable, they are the problem,” wrote one person. Another chimed in and said, “She’s just hot – that’s why you have a problem.”

One woman commented and shared her similar experience, saying: “Omg YES! I feel so uncomfortable, but at the same time, what can I do? If I have to do groceries after the gym, I won’t change just for it.”

Sophie also responded to another woman’s comment and said, “If a man did this, it would be fine.”

so many people are taking OFFENCE at everything all the sheep will be free to roam soon

For goodness sake whoever critisised this lady seriously needs to get a life ! She is perfectly respectable ... believe me if I could get my body back to that I would do the same !!

I don’t really care who wears what. I’m in the supermarket to shop. So long as private parts are covered, people can wear what they like.

Do you agree with Sophie? Share your thoughts with us in the comments belo

Seriously she looks very respectable compared to a lot of people walking around

se

Seriously as far as I can see she looks very respectable compared to a lot of people that are walking around leaving very little to the imagination

I've seen people come in their PJs .I'm too busy looking for my items as they keep changing where things are to worry about what people have on ,,They are wishing they looked as good

Hmmm, I'm rather cynical ...

I have no problem with Sophie Allen wearing gym/work clothes in the supermarket, but I do wonder how many dirty looks she really gets? The only evidence we have is this: She said she regularly gets ‘disapproving’ looks from fellow shoppers by merely walking down the grocery aisles.

When I'm busy shopping, I'm barely aware of the other customers, let alone whether they're looking at me and/or judging my appearance (or not).

I am, I must confess, nothing to look at, but The lady doth protest too much, methinks. (Hamlet, Act III, Scene II)

nothing wrong with thart, I've seen worse than that, and even worse with a man, that's not "indecent" or anything, not even "provocative". what I DO dissapprove of is people walking in shops and food places without anything on their feet, that's unhygenic for starters.

You know what this trolling needs to stop, the girl is covered, and yes everyone has probably seen worse. But how many kids need to be shamed into suicide by trolls complaining about what someone wore to the supermarket on their way home from work.

Reactions: Vinylted
After reading the original post, I took special note when out shopping on Friday, there were many young women (and a few men) wearing less and or more revealing attire at my local supermarket in suburban Melbourne. I only one's who looked inappropriate were the few that shouldn't have dressed like that.... 😑🤔

No no at all

The same clothes you see women wearing anywhere...do-gooders need to mind their own business...every time we go shopping, half the women we see are wearing leggings or tights...it's the modern thing...