Aussie renter horrified after receiving 'predatory' letter from real estate agent

‘Home is where the heart is,’ at least that’s how the saying goes. A house is a place where we can unwind and be safe from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives.

For most of us, homes are also a huge financial investment – it takes years of saving to buy one, and the renters out there will know only all too well how many hoops we need to jump through to be approved on a lease agreement.

As if that’s not bad enough, sometimes we encounter landlords and real estate agents who are a pain to deal with.

And this is exactly what happened to this Aussie renter who got a ‘shameless’ letter from a real estate agent.

One Melbourne tenant took to Reddit, a popular social media site, to share a letter they received from their agent:

realestate.jpg
Some Reddit users described the letter as ‘predatory’. Credit: Reddit

‘A real estate agent decided to drop this in my mailbox, gloating about the absurdly tight rental market,’ they captioned together with the image above.

The letter reads: ‘We have just leased a beautiful one bedroom, one bathroom, one car-space apartment for $475 per week in your area.’

‘This property was leased after just eight hours of being listed, and we received multiple exceptional applications,’ it continued.

The agent also added that this incident gave them ‘great confidence’ in the current market and the increased demand – despite the ongoing housing crisis in Australia.

This letter sparked outrage within the community, as thousands reacted to the tenant’s post.

One user angrily commented: ‘Just a big shout out to the Australian government for allowing this predatory and borderline criminal behaviour to continue to transpire.’

‘Set some laws, give them boundaries! Stop allowing real estate agents the freedom to do as they please and take advantage of the citizens of this country,’ they continued.

The same user admitted that they knew they were being a little emotional, but noted they were currently having trouble finding a home in their price range.

house1.JPG
The current housing crisis is affecting thousands of Australians. Credit: Jessica Bryant in Pexels

Many users had a hard time holding back their comments as well.

One person wrote that the real estate agent must’ve been the one who told the owner to set the asking price too high. ‘I have a friend who rents out their old family home and hasn’t raised the rent in years – every 6 months they get pressured by the agent to increase the rental rate.’

‘Real estate agents are the new 80s dodgy used car salespeople,’ someone else shared.

‘I would ring them up and ask how the f*** they sleep at night, the filthy greedy grubs,’ shared another.

While another agreed and wrote: ‘People are so bloody greedy and don’t care what sort of hardship they are causing.’

Still, some people weren’t as offended by the note.

One user commented that they didn’t think the agent was ‘gloating’.

‘They’re looking for people that might be wanting to rent out their home, and advertising that they can get a high rent for them if they do,’ they explained.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie renter has shared the ‘shameless’ letter they received from a real estate agent, sparking widespread anger on social media.
  • Thousands of Reddit users reacted to the post, outraged by the letter.
  • Others didn’t hold back in their criticism of the real estate agent, with one Reddit user saying: ‘Real estate agents are the new 80’s dodgy used car salespeople’.
What are your thoughts on this, folks? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
‘Home is where the heart is,’ at least that’s how the saying goes. A house is a place where we can unwind and be safe from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives.

For most of us, homes are also a huge financial investment – it takes years of saving to buy one, and the renters out there will know only all too well how many hoops we need to jump through to be approved on a lease agreement.

As if that’s not bad enough, sometimes we encounter landlords and real estate agents who are a pain to deal with.

And this is exactly what happened to this Aussie renter who got a ‘shameless’ letter from a real estate agent.

One Melbourne tenant took to Reddit, a popular social media site, to share a letter they received from their agent:

View attachment 8285

‘A real estate agent decided to drop this in my mailbox, gloating about the absurdly tight rental market,’ they captioned together with the image above.

The letter reads: ‘We have just leased a beautiful one bedroom, one bathroom, one car-space apartment for $475 per week in your area.’

‘This property was leased after just eight hours of being listed, and we received multiple exceptional applications,’ it continued.

The agent also added that this incident gave them ‘great confidence’ in the current market and the increased demand – despite the ongoing housing crisis in Australia.

This letter sparked outrage within the community, as thousands reacted to the tenant’s post.

One user angrily commented: ‘Just a big shout out to the Australian government for allowing this predatory and borderline criminal behaviour to continue to transpire.’

‘Set some laws, give them boundaries! Stop allowing real estate agents the freedom to do as they please and take advantage of the citizens of this country,’ they continued.

The same user admitted that they knew they were being a little emotional, but noted they were currently having trouble finding a home in their price range.

View attachment 8284
The current housing crisis is affecting thousands of Australians. Credit: Jessica Bryant in Pexels

One person wrote that the real estate agent must’ve been the one who told the owner to set the asking price too high. ‘I have a friend who rents out their old family home and hasn’t raised the rent in years – every 6 months they get pressured by the agent to increase the rental rate.’

‘Real estate agents are the new 80s dodgy used car salespeople,’ someone else shared.

‘I would ring them up and ask how the f*** they sleep at night, the filthy greedy grubs,’ shared another.

While another agreed and wrote: ‘People are so bloody greedy and don’t care what sort of hardship they are causing.’

‘They’re looking for people that might be wanting to rent out their home, and advertising that they can get a high rent for them if they do,’ they explained.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie renter has shared the ‘shameless’ letter they received from a real estate agent, sparking widespread anger on social media.
  • Others didn’t hold back in their criticism of the real estate agent, with one Reddit user saying: ‘Real estate agents are the new 80’s dodgy used car salespeople’.
What are your thoughts on this, folks? Share them with us in the comments below!
Stupid creature! Nothing predatory at all! Many agents, if not all, do exactly this quite often! I receive 3-4 of this type of marketing letter every six months from different real estate agents seeking me as a client to sell my home. It means Commission for them if you choose them, and potentially more Commission if I buy my next home through them.
Stop being such an ignorant “precious” uneducated child. It’s called MARKETING! Grow up!
Fed up w the younger ones constantly complaining about their INVENTED SLIGHTS.

Reactions: Luckyus and Ricci

View attachment 8285

View attachment 8284

Key Takeaways

Really? Why is this letter even being shared?

I use this sort of mailing to keep an eye on property prices in my area. I have no intention of selling or moving but it's good to know the local state of play! :)

View attachment 8285

View attachment 8284

Key Takeaways

That realestate company belongs in a rubbish bin with that letter hope they get a lot of bad feedback

Sorry I'm not seeing the fuss.

As I was reading I was expecting to read that the place that got rentered out was the writers place.

I'm not really seeing the point.

It's just like letters we also receive stating what houses have recently sold
I agree I can't see what the problem with the letter is

View attachment 8285

View attachment 8284

Key Takeaways

All seem to be related to Robin Hood, albeit Robin Bastards !!

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 8285

View attachment 8284

Key Takeaways

If they overcharge they should be over taxed ....Tax dept need to look into this

Unfortunately those desperate are trying so hard to rent & offer more than the asking price leaving those who cannot afford the high rentals homeless. It is a very sad world we live in these days for those who have & those who have not, & it is allowed to continue.

I'm new to this forum but I just had to chime in on this topic. That letter from the real estate agent sounds predatory and shameless. It's already hard enough for renters to find a decent and affordable place to live, let alone deal with agents who are just out to make a quick buck. I can't believe some people are defending the agent's actions, saying they're just trying to find more properties to rent out. If you want to find more reliable real estate investment options, check out https://thecontinuum-thiamsiewavenue.com.sg/. It's always good to have a trustworthy source of information.

Last edited:
All seem to be related to Robin Hood, albeit Robin Bastards !!
Oh for goodness sake! These letters have been used by real estate agents for YEARS! They are fishing for more business, that’s all!

I am staggered that the “oh so precious” cottonwool wrapped little twits are taking great offence at receiving this marketing tool from a R/E Agent!
What a pack of stupid, uneducated, ignorant, egocentric toddlers they are!
It is “marketing”, which their own breed developed into a fine art.
If they have no use for these letters, bin them!
How stupid these spoiled cretins are - to actually believe that they are personally being targeted. The marketing campaign goes out to hundreds of potential business opportunities- and that is what they are.
The R/E agents must advertise for more trade to stay viable, earn money, stay in business. Out of 1000 letters issued, they may achieve 5 interested inquiries. Those 5 will pay for the advert campaign, and may become a stream of rental income for the R/E agent.
That is why the letters are issued.
YOU are NOT personally being TARGETTED for special interest!
Suck it up, kiddies, you are not that important! If you were important, you would not get a standard marketing bulk mail out letter, you’d get an invitation for coffee!
Grow up! The world does not revolve around you, no matter how much cottonwool yr silly parents wrapped around you. People and businesses must use marketing to bring in new business in order to survive.
Just throw the letter in the recycle bin, like any normal person does, and stop being so bloody precious!
If you want to save money, stop buying coffees, stop buying yr lunch, stop going out every weekend for drinkies and learn to save instead of whingeing and blaming others.

I'm new to this forum but I just had to chime in on this topic. That letter from the real estate agent sounds predatory and shameless. It's already hard enough for renters to find a decent and affordable place to live, let alone deal with agents who are just out to make a quick buck. I can't believe some people are defending the agent's actions, saying they're just trying to find more properties to rent out. If you want to find more reliable real estate investment options, check out https://thecontinuum-thiamsiewavenue.com.sg/. It's always good to have a trustworthy source of information.
If you want to really analyse the word ‘predatory’, I believe, at a stretch, taking a really long bow and squinting into the distance, the letter could be classed as ‘predatory’. It’s marketing, pure and simple.
If I were to take your point to its natural conclusion, all advertising and marketing is predatory. Hubby and I are aged pensioners. Hubby is a ‘car and motorbike guy’. Before we were scammed out of our retirement savings, we had two nice cars, and a VERY nice motorbike. We now have one car which is 11 years old and we had to sell the bike so we had at least some savings to fall back on.
Every time we see ads on TV for the car we should be driving, we don’t whine to the TV channel, saying they’re upsetting us and preying on us because they know we can’t afford that car now. Only a fool would do that.
The point is, too many people are too willing to personalise everything, especially if they can have a whinge, and cast themselves in the role of the victim. It’s life people. It’s the luck of the draw. If you don’t like your circumstances, change them if you can, and accept them if you can’t.

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci
I understand that estate agents advertise their services - that's just business - but I take issue with respondents who seem to be saying (I hope I am wrong) that if you can't afford the rent then you don't deserve a roof over your head. I can't accept that. A civilised society looks after the vulnerable.

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci
I understand that estate agents advertise their services - that's just business - but I take issue with respondents who seem to be saying (I hope I am wrong) that if you can't afford the rent then you don't deserve a roof over your head. I can't accept that. A civilised society looks after the vulnerable.
I haven’t got that message from any of the respondents. Certainly there’s been criticism, but not along those lines. Life is difficult in this economy. Many millions of Aussies are hurting.
I think most people are sick of people taking offence where none is intended. Almost all of us could do that, but what would be the point? It is what it is. Accept it and move on.