Aussie renter horrified after receiving 'predatory' letter from real estate agent

‘Home is where the heart is,’ at least that’s how the saying goes. A house is a place where we can unwind and be safe from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives.

For most of us, homes are also a huge financial investment – it takes years of saving to buy one, and the renters out there will know only all too well how many hoops we need to jump through to be approved on a lease agreement.

As if that’s not bad enough, sometimes we encounter landlords and real estate agents who are a pain to deal with.

And this is exactly what happened to this Aussie renter who got a ‘shameless’ letter from a real estate agent.

One Melbourne tenant took to Reddit, a popular social media site, to share a letter they received from their agent:

realestate.jpg
Some Reddit users described the letter as ‘predatory’. Credit: Reddit

‘A real estate agent decided to drop this in my mailbox, gloating about the absurdly tight rental market,’ they captioned together with the image above.

The letter reads: ‘We have just leased a beautiful one bedroom, one bathroom, one car-space apartment for $475 per week in your area.’

‘This property was leased after just eight hours of being listed, and we received multiple exceptional applications,’ it continued.

The agent also added that this incident gave them ‘great confidence’ in the current market and the increased demand – despite the ongoing housing crisis in Australia.

This letter sparked outrage within the community, as thousands reacted to the tenant’s post.

One user angrily commented: ‘Just a big shout out to the Australian government for allowing this predatory and borderline criminal behaviour to continue to transpire.’

‘Set some laws, give them boundaries! Stop allowing real estate agents the freedom to do as they please and take advantage of the citizens of this country,’ they continued.

The same user admitted that they knew they were being a little emotional, but noted they were currently having trouble finding a home in their price range.

house1.JPG
The current housing crisis is affecting thousands of Australians. Credit: Jessica Bryant in Pexels

Many users had a hard time holding back their comments as well.

One person wrote that the real estate agent must’ve been the one who told the owner to set the asking price too high. ‘I have a friend who rents out their old family home and hasn’t raised the rent in years – every 6 months they get pressured by the agent to increase the rental rate.’

‘Real estate agents are the new 80s dodgy used car salespeople,’ someone else shared.

‘I would ring them up and ask how the f*** they sleep at night, the filthy greedy grubs,’ shared another.

While another agreed and wrote: ‘People are so bloody greedy and don’t care what sort of hardship they are causing.’

Still, some people weren’t as offended by the note.

One user commented that they didn’t think the agent was ‘gloating’.

‘They’re looking for people that might be wanting to rent out their home, and advertising that they can get a high rent for them if they do,’ they explained.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie renter has shared the ‘shameless’ letter they received from a real estate agent, sparking widespread anger on social media.
  • Thousands of Reddit users reacted to the post, outraged by the letter.
  • Others didn’t hold back in their criticism of the real estate agent, with one Reddit user saying: ‘Real estate agents are the new 80’s dodgy used car salespeople’.
What are your thoughts on this, folks? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
‘Home is where the heart is,’ at least that’s how the saying goes. A house is a place where we can unwind and be safe from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives.

For most of us, homes are also a huge financial investment – it takes years of saving to buy one, and the renters out there will know only all too well how many hoops we need to jump through to be approved on a lease agreement.

As if that’s not bad enough, sometimes we encounter landlords and real estate agents who are a pain to deal with.

And this is exactly what happened to this Aussie renter who got a ‘shameless’ letter from a real estate agent.

One Melbourne tenant took to Reddit, a popular social media site, to share a letter they received from their agent:

View attachment 8285

‘A real estate agent decided to drop this in my mailbox, gloating about the absurdly tight rental market,’ they captioned together with the image above.

The letter reads: ‘We have just leased a beautiful one bedroom, one bathroom, one car-space apartment for $475 per week in your area.’

‘This property was leased after just eight hours of being listed, and we received multiple exceptional applications,’ it continued.

The agent also added that this incident gave them ‘great confidence’ in the current market and the increased demand – despite the ongoing housing crisis in Australia.

This letter sparked outrage within the community, as thousands reacted to the tenant’s post.

One user angrily commented: ‘Just a big shout out to the Australian government for allowing this predatory and borderline criminal behaviour to continue to transpire.’

‘Set some laws, give them boundaries! Stop allowing real estate agents the freedom to do as they please and take advantage of the citizens of this country,’ they continued.

The same user admitted that they knew they were being a little emotional, but noted they were currently having trouble finding a home in their price range.

View attachment 8284
The current housing crisis is affecting thousands of Australians. Credit: Jessica Bryant in Pexels

One person wrote that the real estate agent must’ve been the one who told the owner to set the asking price too high. ‘I have a friend who rents out their old family home and hasn’t raised the rent in years – every 6 months they get pressured by the agent to increase the rental rate.’

‘Real estate agents are the new 80s dodgy used car salespeople,’ someone else shared.

‘I would ring them up and ask how the f*** they sleep at night, the filthy greedy grubs,’ shared another.

While another agreed and wrote: ‘People are so bloody greedy and don’t care what sort of hardship they are causing.’

‘They’re looking for people that might be wanting to rent out their home, and advertising that they can get a high rent for them if they do,’ they explained.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie renter has shared the ‘shameless’ letter they received from a real estate agent, sparking widespread anger on social media.
  • Others didn’t hold back in their criticism of the real estate agent, with one Reddit user saying: ‘Real estate agents are the new 80’s dodgy used car salespeople’.
What are your thoughts on this, folks? Share them with us in the comments below!
'Emotional' doesn't come near to describing this rant. I would call it disturbing, and I worry for their emotional state. It is a simple piece of advertising, which all businesses do. If there is something in my mailbox I am not interested in reading, it goes in the recycle bin. Simple!

View attachment 8285

View attachment 8284

Key Takeaways

Same same, as you have been a great tenant, we have decided to raise the Rent $150 00 dollars a week to $600.00 aweek awesome have a Merry Xmas . We'll am off to purchase a tent, my wife will be able to stay with a friend, which is good as she is a Nurse and needs comfort because of her age

The clue is in the title Rental Market. It's a market and when supply is low prices go up. When the supply goes up, prices either come down or stabilise. If you want to get outraged about something then get outraged about the shortage of affordable housing, which is the underlying cause of the rent rises.

I believe it is the owner who sets the price for both rentals and sales.

Some owners have unrealistic expectations.

My hubby sold houses and alot if clients wanted more than what their house was worth..

Bottom line is if a client can't afford the rental or for sales they won't go ahead with it and the owner then will reduce the price.

I just asked my daughter to keep an eye out for a pamphlet of sold properties in her area as I want to maybe buy in her area as alot of my kids are buying near her.

I also like seeing what houses went for around me

View attachment 8285

View attachment 8284

Key Takeaways

I understand the concern and certainly don’t trust realestate agents they have too much power over the rental market. With the new rules in place they send you a “Notice of Termination- at end of lease”. Does this means if they get a better offer they can terminate your lease at end of contract without a reason by not offering a new lease. This is scary for age pensioners who have a limited income. There are no houses to rent and those that are available are way beyond the pension income. I understand that rents have to rise because of interest rates but please don’t put any more people in homeless shelters or on the streets because they can’t afford to pay rent AND eat

As with most things in life, the reactions to the letter are a matter of perception. Most apparently read it as the agent gloating. I read it as the agent trying to drum up business.

I agree that it must be so hard for young people now to rent, let alone get on the property ladder. However, no real estate agent would be stupid enough to want to piss off everyone in his local area.

View attachment 8285

View attachment 8284

Key Takeaways

It's business after all, obtaining the best market price. But it stings if your on receiving end. I've suffered a few rent rises. But fortunately, I talked to my real estate and explained my circumstances, they contacted the owner and I have been granted an extended lease with no price rise. So I'm extremely grateful. For those struggling, talk to your agent, give them the information and ask the questions. You never know, if you don't ask. Happy New Year everyone 🙂

View attachment 8285

View attachment 8284

Key Takeaways

Already seen this last week!

View attachment 8285

View attachment 8284

Key Takeaways

I don't know why people are getting so worked up about this. It's a letter box drop to see if there are any people wanting to rent out their properties. We get then in our mail box every couple of months. As for Real Estate agents they are up there with used car salesmen. It's time the Government put the brakes on them and legislated that rent increases should be no more than CPI.

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci
Seriously? This is nothin

View attachment 8285

View attachment 8284

Key Takeaways

Explain to me how this letter is 'predatory'? It is no more than a piece of advertising, stuck in every letterbox. 'This company wouldn't know whose letterbox these 'letters' go into. 'Predator' is a ridiculous word to use. How can a letter advertising a real estate agency be 'predatory? it wasn't stalking this person. It wasn't even targeting this person. Our world is going insane if a company can't advertise and celebrate their wins without being targeted as 'predators'.