Aussie mum shows off creative side with $15 Kmart trick

Kmart has long been a treasure trove for savvy shoppers looking to spruce up their homes and wardrobes without breaking the bank.

Australians flock to their local Kmart not just for their low prices, but also for the potential for creativity that their products inspire.

One crafty mum, Skye Langeberg, has taken this potential to new heights, turning a simple $15 Easter tablecloth into a viral sensation.

Skye, a mother of two and a fashion design student at Curtin University, has shown that with a little ingenuity, even the most mundane items can be transformed into something extraordinary.

She purchased Kmart's Easter Tablecloth, adorned with playful bunnies and delicate floral patterns, and crafted it into a stunning collared shirt for her children.

The process, while 'easy' for someone with Skye's background, is still a remarkable feat given her busy life.

skye langeberg.PNG
Skye’s floral shirt for her children, made with a tablecloth from Kmart. Image Credit: Skye Langeberg

'I have made and designed dress shirts before... however with a two and four-year-old, I don't have a lot of free time, especially to draft a new pattern from scratch,' she shared.

By using a pattern from StyleArc called Rhys Overshirt and tweaking it slightly, Skye was able to create a beautiful garment that has captured the attention of thousands.

When Skye posted her work-in-progress on a popular Kmart Facebook group, the response was overwhelming.

The post quickly went viral, garnering over 1,800 reactions from admirers and fellow Kmart enthusiasts. Many parents praised her for her out-of-the-box thinking and impressive sewing skills.

Comments ranged from commendations on her talent to excitement from others inspired to start their own sewing projects.

‘This makes me so excited to start my sewing classes, they look amazing,’ one commented.

The community's response was not just one of admiration but also of encouragement, with several suggesting that Skye should consider turning her skill into a side hustle.

'Wow, you could sell these to people like me. Very cute and clever,' one commenter suggested.

Another added, 'Please tell me that you make tonnes of money out of this good skill? So creative.'

Skye's post is a testament to the versatility of Kmart's products and the creativity of its customers.

It's not the first time a Kmart item has been repurposed in such a fashion-forward way.

In another story, a shopper made headlines for crafting unique bucket hats out of Kmart tea towels.

For those feeling inspired, Kmart's current Easter range includes a special two-pack of tea towels for just $5, featuring a matching bunny and floral pattern that could be the next DIY project.

For those who are not as crafty, there's always the option to explore Kmart's range of affordable clothing and home goods you can repurpose like these creative shoppers did.

Key Takeaways

• A mum from a Kmart Facebook group transformed a $15 Easter tablecloth into an outfit for her child and shared the photos online.
  • Her post showing the Easter-themed shirts went viral, receiving a lot of praise for her creativity and sewing skills.
  • Skye Langeberg, who is currently studying Fashion Design, used a StyleArc pattern called Rhys Overshirt to create the shirts and altered it to fit her children.
  • Parents and other Kmart shoppers suggested she should turn her sewing ability into a side hustle, with many expressing admiration for her talent.

Have you tried any DIY projects with items from Kmart or other stores like Skye? We’d love to hear about it! Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
My wife made all our childrens' clothes when they were young, we only had my wage so money was tight lucky my wife could do many things, sew knit embroider draw paint etc etc etc