'Genius' tea towel DIY by a Kmart shopper leaves the internet in awe!

Kmart, the budget-friendly haven for many Aussie shoppers, is a modern-day convenience that offers a wide range of affordable homewares. From furniture and bedding to kitchen supplies and more, this store is always within reach when searching for a great deal.

But every now and then, you stumble upon something unexpected! And it seems that even Kmart shoppers have a knack for making their purchases go the extra mile.

One shopper, in particular, has captivated the internet with her creative DIY project involving Kmart's unbelievably low-priced $2 tea towels.

When she shared her creation on a Facebook group dedicated to Kmart enthusiasts, it left everyone scratching their heads. Her ingenious idea involved transforming those humble tea towels into stunning microwave 'bowl cosies'.

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 2.46.16 PM.png
A Kmart shopper recently shared her 'genius' trick of transforming a tea towel into a microwave 'bowl cosy'. Credit: Facebook.

At first glance, the group members were equally baffled and intrigued by the mysterious item. Curious comments flooded in, asking, 'I feel a bit silly, but what is that used for?' and 'Someone, please explain what a microwave bowl holder is?'

After a while, the answers came pouring in—and, as it turns out, the mysterious fabric bowl has a 'very clever' purpose! A microwave bowl cosy simply sits under a bowl in the microwave, preventing you from burning your hands when taking it out. It's a heatproof holder for hot dishes!

Fellow Kmart shoppers in the Facebook group were amazed by this innovative idea, with one person admitting, 'I'm mind-blown. That's an amazing idea; I need one now!'

Another chimed in, 'I have to say I learned something today. Never knew such a thing as a microwave bowl cosy existed.'

Even the creative genius behind the idea confessed she'd only discovered it a few years ago at a market stall before deciding to make one for herself.

The Kmart shopper shared her simple pattern, purchased from Etsy, for crafting the 'very easy' bowl holder while emphasising that every material used (including the thread) must be 100% cotton for the cosy to remain heatproof.

If you're interested in trying your hand at making microwave cosies, we've got the perfect tutorial video for you to follow! Just click on the video below and let the step-by-step instructions guide you.

Credit: Teresa DownUnder.

As you can imagine, this game-changing revelation sent fellow Kmart fans running out the door to replicate this appealing project.

One excited commenter said, 'What a clever idea. Off to Kmart, I go!'

Others appreciated the safer alternative, commenting, 'This is a great idea. So much better than living dangerously with a tea towel as I do.'

Key Takeaways

• Kmart shoppers have used the $2 tea towels to create DIY projects such as tote bags, zipper pouches, and kids' clothes.
  • A Kmart shopper recently shared her 'genius' trick of transforming a tea towel into a microwave 'bowl cosy'.
  • The microwave bowl cosy is used to prevent burning your hands when removing a hot bowl from the microwave.
  • The crafty shopper used a simple pattern from Etsy to create the 'very easy' microwave bowl cosy, sparking interest among other DIY enthusiasts.

At the Seniors Discount Club, we love sharing tips, tricks and crafty ideas like this to make life easier for our members. Never underestimate the power of creativity and simplicity!

So, next time you're heating a bowl of soup or enjoying a delicious warming porridge, don't burn your fingers! Try this fantastic tea towel trick, and create your microwave bowl cosy!

Members, we'd love to hear your thoughts! Are you willing to try this exciting do-it-yourself project? Give it a try, and let us know how it turns out. Feel free to share your progress and updates in the comments section below. We can't wait to hear from you!

Sponsored
Kmart, the budget-friendly haven for many Aussie shoppers, is a modern-day convenience that offers a wide range of affordable homewares. From furniture and bedding to kitchen supplies and more, this store is always within reach when searching for a great deal.

But every now and then, you stumble upon something unexpected! And it seems that even Kmart shoppers have a knack for making their purchases go the extra mile.

One shopper, in particular, has captivated the internet with her creative DIY project involving Kmart's unbelievably low-priced $2 tea towels.

When she shared her creation on a Facebook group dedicated to Kmart enthusiasts, it left everyone scratching their heads. Her ingenious idea involved transforming those humble tea towels into stunning microwave 'bowl cosies'.

View attachment 22846
A Kmart shopper recently shared her 'genius' trick of transforming a tea towel into a microwave 'bowl cosy'. Credit: Facebook.

At first glance, the group members were equally baffled and intrigued by the mysterious item. Curious comments flooded in, asking, 'I feel a bit silly, but what is that used for?' and 'Someone, please explain what a microwave bowl holder is?'

After a while, the answers came pouring in—and, as it turns out, the mysterious fabric bowl has a 'very clever' purpose! A microwave bowl cosy simply sits under a bowl in the microwave, preventing you from burning your hands when taking it out. It's a heatproof holder for hot dishes!

Fellow Kmart shoppers in the Facebook group were amazed by this innovative idea, with one person admitting, 'I'm mind-blown. That's an amazing idea; I need one now!'

Another chimed in, 'I have to say I learned something today. Never knew such a thing as a microwave bowl cosy existed.'

Even the creative genius behind the idea confessed she'd only discovered it a few years ago at a market stall before deciding to make one for herself.

The Kmart shopper shared her simple pattern, purchased from Etsy, for crafting the 'very easy' bowl holder while emphasising that every material used (including the thread) must be 100% cotton for the cosy to remain heatproof.

If you're interested in trying your hand at making microwave cosies, we've got the perfect tutorial video for you to follow! Just click on the video below and let the step-by-step instructions guide you.

As you can imagine, this game-changing revelation sent fellow Kmart fans running out the door to replicate this appealing project.

Others appreciated the safer alternative, commenting, 'This is a great idea. So much better than living dangerously with a tea towel as I do.'

Key Takeaways

• Kmart shoppers have used the $2 tea towels to create DIY projects such as tote bags, zipper pouches, and kids' clothes.
  • A Kmart shopper recently shared her 'genius' trick of transforming a tea towel into a microwave 'bowl cosy'.
  • The microwave bowl cosy is used to prevent burning your hands when removing a hot bowl from the microwave.
  • The crafty shopper used a simple pattern from Etsy to create the 'very easy' microwave bowl cosy, sparking interest among other DIY enthusiasts.

At the Seniors Discount Club, we love sharing tips, tricks and crafty ideas like this to make life easier for our members. Never underestimate the power of creativity and simplicity!

So, next time you're heating a bowl of soup or enjoying a delicious warming porridge, don't burn your fingers! Try this fantastic tea towel trick, and create your microwave bowl cosy!

Members, we'd love to hear your thoughts! Are you willing to try this exciting do-it-yourself project? Give it a try, and let us know how it turns out. Feel free to share your progress and updates in the comments section below. We can't wait to hear from you!

These have been around for years so not someone's new idea but clever to copy the design. They sre very useful item to have handy in the kitchen.

View attachment 22846

Key Takeaways

I've had my 4 for donkey years. You can either make them yourself or go to a weekend arts & crafts market and buy them.

View attachment 22846

Key Takeaways

Good grief these are not new. I have a few of them. Bought them at the local furniture and decorator store. You can also find them at markets and they do larger ones for large bowls.

Reactions: Helenmac and Jennie

View attachment 22846

Key Takeaways

I have never understood the bowl cosy. If I heat a bowl in the microwave I just place a bread & butter plate under it. It is not hot like the bowl is. Waste of time & space & money to buy these daft things!!!!

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk

View attachment 22846

Key Takeaways

Is there a pattern for this that can be shared. It would make great gifts for Birthdays, Christmas, etc

View attachment 22846

Key Takeaways

Love em!

Reactions: Zoya
Handy - but too time consuming to make. Just use a plate underneath your bowl. I just use silicone gloves or even just tea towels.

Reactions: Zoya
She obviously knew it wasn't a new idea as she bought the pattern from Etsy, I think it was more about the fact that she used tea towels for it.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
Such hyperbole for something been around for years and just 'discovered' by a new generation. However do they think we managed before they put this on social media?

Reactions: Helenmac
I was given one as a gift, but ended up throwing it away as I didn't feel safe using it.

The first time I heated a bowl of soup, the bowl slid around inside the holder and I almost spilt the lot.

Looks like a good idea, but too much hassle to make. Would be happy to buy one and try it out.