Aussie mum shares Woolies cake hack – shockingly easy way to make an amazing cake!

Do you have an upcoming event that calls for a show-stopping cake, such as a birthday, a family reunion, a wedding, or any other kind of celebration? Or do you simply like to have one on hand in the fridge, pre-sliced and ready for those arvos when you just have to have something sweet with your tea?

No matter what your reason is, you can't deny that every day is better when there is cake involved!

Although you may not have the professional baking skills showcased by the participants on The Great Australian Bake Off, that doesn't mean you can't create a masterpiece in your own kitchen!

We'll show you how to make a show-stopping cake centrepiece in next to no time, with minimal effort, and no kitchen cleanup.

All you need is a little bit of imagination, and some pre-made cakes from our trusty supermarket Woolies – here's how!

WhqF5qt9tD-7osk6qZtbKBGS8ydEbEfVo3BgtkHa0U-lz0m3zWE-H4MmRMCqtKvoFX04PptRzRyrMoDUf_KbdZjzOPAlu2LnB7IQFJ6ZHAUxyVL4SJf7gRrRgCgfs8SmhB5gwPR_iLzS8qcUa5cJhoI

Aussie mum Donna posted on Facebook how to make a professional-looking cake with two Woolies mud cakes. Credit: Facebook.

By using two Chocolate Birthday Drip Cakes she bought from Woolies, Aussie mum Donna shared on Facebook how easy and simple it is to make a cake that looks like it was made by a pro. And for only $25 per cake, it's significantly cheaper than a professional custom cake.

'Hey, Woolies!! I just wanted to share another Woolies Cake Hack I did for my hubby's 50th Birthday,' she wrote on the wall of the official Facebook page for Woolworths Australia.

'I was quite impressed with my efforts. 2 x Woolies Drip Mud Cakes stacked on top of each other & decorated with lots of goodies! Such a cost-effective cake idea rather than paying a professional & the cake was moist & super yummy,' she added.

It wasn't surprising that the mum's post received a great deal of attention on social media, attracting many reactions and comments from fellow supermarket shoppers and DIYers. It even caught the eye of the Woolies team members who manage the Facebook page!

'Hey Donna, thanks for contacting us and sending us these photos. Your cake looks amazing! Have a great day,' they responded in kind.

On a different social media platform, another Aussie mum also shared her amazing transformation of Woolies' mud cakes. This time, the mum made it for a friend's 40th birthday.

'Love how it turned out!' she wrote on the video that has been watched almost 170,000 times on TikTok. The woman claimed that the whole thing only took her 30 minutes to make and only cost her around $50, including the two mini bottles of alcohol. What a bargain!

Here's how she did it:

First, remove the original icing from the two mud cakes. Then, wrap them in cling wrap and put them in the freezer for about 15 minutes.

Once the cakes have cooled and gotten firmer, it's time to put everything together. Take the cakes out of the freezer and take the plastic wrap off of them.

Spread a generous amount of icing on top of one cake, then put the other cake on top of it. When they are completely stable on top of one another, you can then ice the exterior of the two cakes.

The mum mentioned that when icing the cakes, it doesn't have to be neat – the imperfections are going to give it texture and personality!

After you've given the cake a good coating, surround it with cookie and cream wafers and secure them with a pretty ribbon.

All that's left are the toppings. Let your imagination run wild here!

The mum topped it off with yellow gummy bears, Ferrero Rocher candies, and little bottles of Jack Daniel's. A Happy Birthday cake topper was the last touch, but you could use any other holiday or special occasion you choose.

MW4kfbBaz98UxJ7by2iJmQxSbmVjxJpObvoyNChZnrW4e5MbjvQhWv2d6DlLg44JXlU3ahDmdBEFxrurMP_gduoZtCVffmsOElk6iGbbQJ8sg_Kw0xsEr1SJXI23QoqwH_9lgx40KUEYcKJIz3xRgJ4

One of our members shared her own creations using store-bought cakes. Credit: SDC/Suzanne rose.

Of course, these mums aren't the only ones showing off their cake decorating skills on social media. One of our very own members has also shared her own cake 'hack' using the mud cakes from Woolies, and it looks so amazing!

Member @Suzanne rose shared her Cheats Birthday Cake recipe with us on the forum, so go ahead and make sure to check that out!

Do you have other cake creations as well? Feel free to upload and share them with us in the Cooking/Recipes forum. We looove seeing what you make, members, so please go ahead and send more of them our way!

Sponsored
It would be cheaper to make your own cakes. $50 seems a lot. Great decorating idea, though.
You an buy cakes already completed exactly like these at a cidt of $150 up. That's why when I saw the cakes at Coles I jumped at it . I have never used 2 cakes as they are already very tall.

Cost all up around $30.

When you look at the cost of cake ingredients and electricity it's not that bad

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
These cake are available to buy complete at a cost of $150 up.

I first saw one at a party and asked where they got it from, when I checked it out was amazed how expensive it was.

It was only a couple weeks later I found the drip cake at Coles for $25 and thought I can decorate the cake similar to the one at the party at a fraction of the cost.

I would spend $10 to $15 just making the cake base so $25 for a beautiful perfectly iced tall cake is amazing.

We now have fun coming up with ideas.

Fresh flowers....different chocolates...themed toy cakes. It's endless what you can do in no time at all

Just wished they did a dairy free version

Reactions: Ricci
Happy to bake my own cakes and decorate them in times gone by.
Not any more, I don't have the dexterity now.
It's gone out the window with the years.
I appreciate a good cake, and admire people's abilities.
Two cakes is a lot of cake, you'd need a good 'do' to make it worthwhile!
Happy celebrating! 🍰

Reactions: Ricci