Aussie mum shares shocking price disparity between Coles and ALDI—'It's disgusting’

In the age of soaring living costs, where every cent counts, savvy shopping has become more than just a skill—it's a necessity.

For those who are always on the lookout for ways to stretch their dollars, a recent comparison between supermarket giants Coles and ALDI by an Aussie mum has shed light on the significant price disparities that can affect your weekly budget.

Budget-conscious shopper Lidia has always been strategic about her grocery trips.

She typically starts at ALDI, where she fills her cart with the bulk of her shopping list, and then heads to Coles for the remaining items.

However, her latest shopping experience left her—and now the internet—astonished.

After a substantial haul of over 35 items from ALDI, which included a variety of fresh produce, pantry staples, and household items, Lidia spent a total of $255.

She said, ‘This is enough to make me seven meals for the week...we're trying to eat more vegetable-based meals and I already have some schnitzels frozen so we don't need too much meat this week.’

1_20240424_081129_0000.png
A shopper was shocked at the alarming price difference between Coles and ALDI. Image Source: Facebook

Lidia's cart was brimming with three types of cheese, a bag of avocados, mince meat, cucumbers, yoghurt, cauliflower, peas, frozen chips, paddle pops, sweet potatoes, apples, onions, lemons, berries, and much more.

She even picked up snacks for the kids' lunchboxes and a few indulgent treats like muffins and hot cross buns.

But the real shock came when Lidia visited Coles for a few additional items.

Despite only picking up a handful of products, including bread, carrots, and tuna, her bill at Coles came to a staggering $78.

The stark contrast between the two receipts highlighted a concern many Australians share: the rising cost of living and how it's reflected in our grocery bills.

Lidia said, ‘I just find it so interesting. I actually can't believe the price gouging. It's disgusting and shame on Coles and Woolies for making people have to do this. Good on you, ALDI.’

Lidia's experience, which she shared in a video posted on social media, has resonated with many shoppers.

The clip has been viewed over 1.5 million times, sparking a conversation about the value for money offered by different supermarkets.

Many viewers echoed Lidia's sentiments, expressing their surprise at the price differences and sharing their strategies for keeping grocery costs down.

One viewer said, ‘You don't realise how ripped off you are shopping at Woolies and Coles until you go to ALDI!’

‘ALDI is amazing. It's my go-to shop and has better food anyway,’ another agreed.

Other viewers shared their experiences when shopping at ALDI.

‘So true, I was scared to buy veg because everyone is complaining that it's so expensive. I went to ALDI and got a whole cauliflower, two potatoes, a tomato and a jar of minced garlic for just over $7,’ said one viewer.

While some shoppers swear by ALDI for its affordability, others raised concerns about the quality of produce or the lack of variety compared to other supermarkets.

One viewer said, ‘Every time I buy fruit from ALDI it's gone bad within 24 hours.’

In response to the video, a Coles spokesperson said, ‘We are working hard to keep grocery prices affordable for customers, particularly as they face escalating living costs with higher mortgages and rents and increasing expenses like energy and fuel.’

They added, ‘We are always looking for ways to lower the cost of groceries and invest in value through campaigns like Great Value Hands Down and thousands of weekly specials.’

Source: TikTok / @jlhz22

As the cost of living continues to rise and the effects of inflation are felt across the nation, many find themselves under financial pressure.

To help you cope with this pressure, we’ve compiled a list of genius money-saving tips from experts to help you slash your grocery bill. Read about it here!
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian mum documented a significant price discrepancy between her grocery bills at ALDI and Coles, with ALDI being considerably cheaper for a large haul of items.
  • The shopper's ALDI purchase included over 35 items and cost $255, while a much smaller selection of additional items at Coles came to $78.
  • The price contrast was shared in a video that spread like wildfire on social media, sparking discussion about supermarket pricing and budgeting.
  • A Coles spokesperson addressed the issue, stating the supermarket is committed to keeping grocery prices affordable and highlighted their value campaigns and weekly specials.
Have you noticed a difference in prices between supermarkets? Do you have any tips for saving money on groceries? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below!

Sponsored
Coles used to be my first stop, but no more big shop Aldi what can’t get there which isn’t much Coles . I don’t understand why Aldi can reduce goods so much. I don’t mean just overseas products but well known Australian

Coles used to be my first stop, but no more big shop Aldi what can’t get there which isn’t much Coles . I don’t understand why Aldi can reduce goods so much. I don’t mean just overseas products but well known Australian made.
Simple Isis. Because their mark up is not as excessive as Coles and Woolworths.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Visually, the ALDI items looked about 3 times the Coles things.

I agree that the comparisons should be with 'like' items.

The ALDI Catalogue has these comparisons weekly, the only problem is that ALDI is comparing known name brands to ALDI's generics.

To be fair, ALDI should compare a basket of its items to a basket of Coles and Woolworths generic branded items.
Can you please list the Aldi's generic Brands.?
You can then be able to prove your point.
The coles and Woollies generic brands are listed and shown on the products itself but unless I am wrong, I haven't seen a generic brand's name on any of the ALDI's products.
Can you please lead me to it.?

Since when is 3 loaves of bread, 9 cans of tuna, kabana, veges & some sauces a handful of groceries. Aldi is ok if you want to buy brands you have never heard of. I have a fussy family who will only eat certain brand food. A lot of Aldi products are produced overseas, so you are not supporting Australian made.
What exactly is made in Australia these days.
Most products in Coles and Woolies come from overseas as well. What's the difference.
Just because you don't know the names of the brands doesn't make them inferior.
My husband used to have the same idea, I bought ALDI products, didn't tell him and he didn't notice any differences.
Canstar and Choice constantly pick ALDI products as the best Maybe your family should give them a try.
I save between $30 and $50 per fortnight shopping at Aldi.

Reactions: Kelpie
I agree with you re ALDI. It used to sell many items at a marked difference (cheaper). Over some years though, it's increased lots of its prices to be a cent or five cheaper.
How come then that the other day I bought bananas and a lot of other goods from Coles and then when I went to Aldi two products Coles does not have I saw that the bananas there were $2 a Kg cheaper.
There are a lot of goods that I usually buy which Coles and Woollies does not supply anymore. They used to, but not anymore.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Despite only picking up a handful of products, including bread, carrots, and tuna, her bill at Coles came to a staggering $78.

This is the only reference to the purchases made at Coles. No quantities are mentioned.
As such I can only determine that that particular poster has made it all up. He or she has failed to respond to my query as yet. And that speacks for plenty, although I am still open for a reply from that poster.

From my observation, apples are not being compared to apples. The report MAY be designed to show Aldi in a more favourable light but who knows.

In my experience, the price gap between equivalent items at Aldi when compared to Woolworths/Coles has been steadily decreasing over recent years.

For example:- 1 litre generic long life milk - Aldi $1.59 W/C $1.60
1.25 litre generic sugar free soft drink - Aldi $1.15 W/C $1.20
2 litre generic vaniila ice cream - Aldi $4.99 W/C $4.99

With respect to another store, namely Spudshed in Perth, they had Dr Oeckter Pizza varieties for $2.99. Woolworths $8.50! Rump steak is just $15.99/kg.

With just being here a week, I have discovered a gem in the West! It might be a 15 minute drive to get there but Spudshed is my go to supermarket!
Welcome to the West.
I think I mentioned Spud Shed to you in an earlier post.
I split my shop between them and Aldi. Save heaps.😘

From my observation, apples are not being compared to apples. The report MAY be designed to show Aldi in a more favourable light but who knows.

In my experience, the price gap between equivalent items at Aldi when compared to Woolworths/Coles has been steadily decreasing over recent years.

With respect to another store, namely Spudshed in Perth, they had Dr Oeckter Pizza varieties for $2.99. Woolworths $8.50! Rump steak is just $15.99/kg.

With just being here a week, I have discovered a gem in the West! It might be a 15 minute drive to get there but Spudshed is my go to supermarket!
Love Spudshed.

Why would she not buy bread, carrots and tuna with her shop at Aldi if it’s so much cheaper?
I must buy the wrong items because whenever I shop at Aldi all my items are only 1c cheaper than Coles and I won’t pack my own bags to save 1c.
Well raising toats alone is about $1 or $2 dollars cheaper and IMHo it is much better. My daughter used to buy it from Coles but not anymore after me telling here and started buying at Aldi ever since. And you can't say that the Raising toast is not made in Australia either. And I find their bread better too although I am buying my bread most of the time from the local baker to support his business, (let alone the huge size vanilla slices). I get 5 huge breadrolls and I mean huge, bigger than the old hamburgers flat rolls, for $2 where you buy smaller ones for coles or Wollies for about $3 or $4 dollars.

As such I can only determine that that particular poster has made it all up. He or she has failed to respond to my query as yet. And that speacks for plenty, although I am still open for a reply from that poster.
Oh well! I just replied to support your comment.

It is apparent that some forum posters (not just SDC) selectively read, don't read the full article or "insert" their own words to support their false narrative.

Oh well! I just replied to support your comment.

It is apparent that some forum posters (not just SDC) selectively read, don't read the full article or "insert" their own words to support their false narrative.
I fully aree with your comment "don't read the full article or "insert" their own words to support their false narrative.".
Perhaps they might have a real method in their madness. Who knows.

The coles and Woollies generic brands are listed and shown on the products itself but unless I am wrong, I haven't seen a generic brand's name on any of the ALDI's products.
Aldi have Belmont brand biscuits, Almat laundry detergent, Remano pasta, etc. Never seen an Aldi branded product in the thousands of times I've shopped at Aldi.

Meanwhile, Woolworths have their Essentials brand and Coles Whatever brand - all generics.

Yes, You are all over it. It pays to shop around, Farmer Jacks are OK as well. Spud shed & F/Jacks don't have fancy stores thats why we save money.

Please compare apples with apples … buy the same products and make it a true comparison…..😵‍💫
Kay apples vs apples or in my case oat sachets vs oat sachets - Coles (10 sachets) 350g $6.30 or $1.80/100g vs Aldi (12 sachets) 420g $5.99 or $1.42/100g - the difference is only 31c in total price but 70g more from Aldi. Devondale Dairy Soft Butter 500g - Coles $7.50 - $1.50/100g Vs Aldi $5.99 - $1.19/100g - Difference $1.51 - Aldi cheaper by $1.82 for 2 items! Enough said when looking at a trolley full of groceries.

In order for the public to know just what is being discussed, Lidia should provide a full list (brands quantities etc) of what was bought were. Aldi has fooled the Australian Public since it arrived 1015 years ago. It sells generic products which are the same quality as generic products from Coles & Woolies. It then compares their generic with W/C premium branded goods. If you only bought generic fro W/C the bills would be equalised.
Congratulations ,Aldi, much better advertising & promotion. BUT no better quality or value when like for like.

Locally, once upon a time, Woolworths was the only supermarket. Sometimes the staff would be friendly, other times, you felt that you were a bother to them. Then, along came Aldi and the Woolworths staff took to smiling a lot more. At that time, Aldi's average prices were well below that of Woolworths. Then, along came Coles. All 3 supermarkets are within a stone's throw of each other so there's the luxury of choice so what I do is buy up all the weekly specials at Coles and Woolworths and then off to Aldi for the rest of my shopping. Why? Because Aldi have not adopted self-serve checkouts where shoppers are persuaded that it's for their own convenience and get processed accordingly in a similar way to livestock. The reality is that it's a means to higher profits through reduction in staff numbers.
Shopping at Aldi recently, I purchased a capsicum When I was taking my shopping through the checkout, the operator picked the capsicum up, then put it to one side and told me he didn't think that it was fit for sale and got it changed for me. I can't remember that ever happening to me before and certainly not in Coles or Woolworths.
As far as value for money is concerned, the Aldi brand of beauty products, at sometimes half the price of other popular brands, have been proven to be just as effective. Other savings, apart from a number of staple items, are the dog treats the dog treats I buy, under $2 in Aldi and $3+ in Woolworths and Coles and tinned tomatoes $.90 in Aldi, over $1 in the other two supermarkets.
Apart from the savings, customer service, wider than standard aisles, and no threat from runaway trolleys in the carpark, it's fun to shop at Aldi. I've purchased all sorts of birthday and Xmas presents, indulged my dog with a luxury bed, collar and lead and stocked up with toys for the grandchildren when they visit.

Reactions: relljube and Kelpie
All of ALDI's own brands are generics.

ALDI owns the names of all it's products. It owns the rights to the names (Trademark).

The only items that are not ALDI items are known brands that ALDI stocks when it can't contract for with suppliers it deals with and package under its Trademarked named products.

Aldi have Belmont brand biscuits, Almat laundry detergent, Remano pasta, etc. Never seen an Aldi branded product in the thousands of times I've shopped at Aldi.

Meanwhile, Woolworths have their Essentials brand and Coles Whatever brand - all generics.
You just named some of them.

Belmont, Almat and Remano.

If they aren't generics, they'd be available in other stores. But they're not.