Aussie mum shares shocking price disparity between Coles and ALDI—'It's disgusting’

In the age of soaring living costs, where every cent counts, savvy shopping has become more than just a skill—it's a necessity.

For those who are always on the lookout for ways to stretch their dollars, a recent comparison between supermarket giants Coles and ALDI by an Aussie mum has shed light on the significant price disparities that can affect your weekly budget.

Budget-conscious shopper Lidia has always been strategic about her grocery trips.

She typically starts at ALDI, where she fills her cart with the bulk of her shopping list, and then heads to Coles for the remaining items.

However, her latest shopping experience left her—and now the internet—astonished.

After a substantial haul of over 35 items from ALDI, which included a variety of fresh produce, pantry staples, and household items, Lidia spent a total of $255.

She said, ‘This is enough to make me seven meals for the week...we're trying to eat more vegetable-based meals and I already have some schnitzels frozen so we don't need too much meat this week.’

1_20240424_081129_0000.png
A shopper was shocked at the alarming price difference between Coles and ALDI. Image Source: Facebook

Lidia's cart was brimming with three types of cheese, a bag of avocados, mince meat, cucumbers, yoghurt, cauliflower, peas, frozen chips, paddle pops, sweet potatoes, apples, onions, lemons, berries, and much more.

She even picked up snacks for the kids' lunchboxes and a few indulgent treats like muffins and hot cross buns.

But the real shock came when Lidia visited Coles for a few additional items.

Despite only picking up a handful of products, including bread, carrots, and tuna, her bill at Coles came to a staggering $78.

The stark contrast between the two receipts highlighted a concern many Australians share: the rising cost of living and how it's reflected in our grocery bills.

Lidia said, ‘I just find it so interesting. I actually can't believe the price gouging. It's disgusting and shame on Coles and Woolies for making people have to do this. Good on you, ALDI.’

Lidia's experience, which she shared in a video posted on social media, has resonated with many shoppers.

The clip has been viewed over 1.5 million times, sparking a conversation about the value for money offered by different supermarkets.

Many viewers echoed Lidia's sentiments, expressing their surprise at the price differences and sharing their strategies for keeping grocery costs down.

One viewer said, ‘You don't realise how ripped off you are shopping at Woolies and Coles until you go to ALDI!’

‘ALDI is amazing. It's my go-to shop and has better food anyway,’ another agreed.

Other viewers shared their experiences when shopping at ALDI.

‘So true, I was scared to buy veg because everyone is complaining that it's so expensive. I went to ALDI and got a whole cauliflower, two potatoes, a tomato and a jar of minced garlic for just over $7,’ said one viewer.

While some shoppers swear by ALDI for its affordability, others raised concerns about the quality of produce or the lack of variety compared to other supermarkets.

One viewer said, ‘Every time I buy fruit from ALDI it's gone bad within 24 hours.’

In response to the video, a Coles spokesperson said, ‘We are working hard to keep grocery prices affordable for customers, particularly as they face escalating living costs with higher mortgages and rents and increasing expenses like energy and fuel.’

They added, ‘We are always looking for ways to lower the cost of groceries and invest in value through campaigns like Great Value Hands Down and thousands of weekly specials.’

Source: TikTok / @jlhz22

As the cost of living continues to rise and the effects of inflation are felt across the nation, many find themselves under financial pressure.

To help you cope with this pressure, we’ve compiled a list of genius money-saving tips from experts to help you slash your grocery bill. Read about it here!
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian mum documented a significant price discrepancy between her grocery bills at ALDI and Coles, with ALDI being considerably cheaper for a large haul of items.
  • The shopper's ALDI purchase included over 35 items and cost $255, while a much smaller selection of additional items at Coles came to $78.
  • The price contrast was shared in a video that spread like wildfire on social media, sparking discussion about supermarket pricing and budgeting.
  • A Coles spokesperson addressed the issue, stating the supermarket is committed to keeping grocery prices affordable and highlighted their value campaigns and weekly specials.
Have you noticed a difference in prices between supermarkets? Do you have any tips for saving money on groceries? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below!

Sponsored
All of ALDI's own brands are generics.

ALDI owns the names of all it's products. It owns the rights to the names (Trademark).

The only items that are not ALDI items are known brands that ALDI stocks when it can't contract for with suppliers it deals with and package under its Trademarked named products.
It means nothing and you are evading the real question.
Coles and Woolworths are showing which products are generic and therefore they bears their own names upon it. ALDI does not. Youl also stated that Aldi own the right to the names but do Coles and Wollies state the same.?
Also, some of the biscuits brands someone or you mentioned which I buy form ALDI as I can't get them anymore from Coles or Woollies are made in the Netherland and it states that it is a related company (or something like it) of theirs where Coles or Woollies does not show anything of the kind that I can see.
Coles and Woollies practically contracted a few abattoirs around Australia and local butchers are now excluded to use those facilities thus make the costs to local butchers increased dramatically which IMHO it could be treated as a monoply factor. How do I know that.? Well once upon a time a few butchers used to come to my properties each Sunday morning and buy vealers selected by themselves and butchered them with the local abattoir. Now they are not allowed anymore because they would have to send the cattle to an abttoirs 300 to500 Km away and then freight them back to their butcher shops. And guess who call the shots with those abattoirs.?
Talk about Democracy and fairness. None.

You just named some of them.

Belmont, Almat and Remano.

If they aren't generics, they'd be available in other stores. But they're not.
Reason being that Belmont at least, as I don't know the others, are made in the Netherland. I just looked at the packets of the biscuits which I very much like and can't buy them at Coles or Woollies. They used to sell them some years ago but not anymore.
At the same time Coles and Woollies are selling Arnots Biscuits which are now made in NZ (To he best of my knowledge) and they are wholly owned by Campbell's an American Company.

Do they sell Ostrich brand suppositories at your supermarket?

DIRECTIONS FOR USE

Stick head in sand

Insert Ostrich* Brand suppository into appropriate orifice

Wait 20 to 25 minutes to take effect

Find suitable receptacle for disposal of resultant excreta - QUICKLY

Enjoy the feeling of not being full of shit
This has been a discussion about food and groceries and viewpoints about them.

Your comments are rude and unwarranted.

Please stop.

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch