Aussie mum reminds everyone to clean their washing machine filters

Alana was left disgusted when she located a little-known filter in her washing machine. After popping it out, she was shocked by the amount of grime that poured out of her machine.

The filter was not even bigger than her palm, yet it was full of grime, dirt, lint, and accumulated hair.

The Aussie mum posted photos of her horrifying discovery on a dedicated cleaning Facebook group.

V4Lr5mqTchB1WCBzemchSubJ-HOWr51-Se36jxYJtKQyG9vSpjf5Y5yyAAXeBs9cIKVRtOY5fsEyJPx9MHVqMhIiB1oXJjC_n3UqMGD2O8mRe_GWncbse10GhEaIvCaITVjSgNMk

Alana had never cleaned her filter before as she wasn’t too concerned because her washing machine was just a few years old. Photos from Facebook.

After a few hours, hundreds of the Facebook group members commented, saying they didn’t know washing machines had filters.

One eager cleaner said and asked: “I didn’t even know washing machine filters were a thing. Where are they normally located?”

“Google your model to see where it’s located,” one helpful cleaner suggested.

“Mine is down the bottom right-hand side,” one member replied, with another saying: “Mine is located inside the barrel.”

Meanwhile, another Facebook post read: “Reminder to clean your washing machine filter. I bought this second-hand years ago and never thought to clean it until now. Found a bra underwire in there.”

One woman even claimed she found “half a $10 note” alongside a few gold coins in her washing machine.

Many members of the Facebook group were grateful to Alana for raising awareness, and to others for sharing their own tips on cleaning the filter.

One user suggested putting a baking dish under the filter to catch any debris passing through, while some said using toothbrushes and some good old-fashioned elbow grease will suffice.

Another person suggested that cleaning the filter should become part of one’s weekly routine, especially if they do a lot of washing.

You read it here first, folks! This is your reminder to check your washing machines and clean your filters.

Sponsored
I don't even know where mine is! I'd better go look at the instruction book. (If I can find it lol)

Reactions: Ricci

Alana was left disgusted when she located a little-known filter in her washing machine. After popping it out, she was shocked by the amount of grime that poured out of her machine.

The filter was not even bigger than her palm, yet it was full of grime, dirt, lint, and accumulated hair.

The Aussie mum posted photos of her horrifying discovery on a dedicated cleaning Facebook group.

V4Lr5mqTchB1WCBzemchSubJ-HOWr51-Se36jxYJtKQyG9vSpjf5Y5yyAAXeBs9cIKVRtOY5fsEyJPx9MHVqMhIiB1oXJjC_n3UqMGD2O8mRe_GWncbse10GhEaIvCaITVjSgNMk

Alana had never cleaned her filter before as she wasn’t too concerned because her washing machine was just a few years old. Photos from Facebook.

After a few hours, hundreds of the Facebook group members commented, saying they didn’t know washing machines had filters.

One eager cleaner said and asked: “I didn’t even know washing machine filters were a thing. Where are they normally located?”

“Mine is down the bottom right-hand side,” one member replied, with another saying: “Mine is located inside the barrel.”

Meanwhile, another Facebook post read: “Reminder to clean your washing machine filter. I bought this second-hand years ago and never thought to clean it until now. Found a bra underwire in there.”

One woman even claimed she found “half a $10 note” alongside a few gold coins in her washing machine.

Many members of the Facebook group were grateful to Alana for raising awareness, and to others for sharing their own tips on cleaning the filter.

One user suggested putting a baking dish under the filter to catch any debris passing through, while some said using toothbrushes and some good old-fashioned elbow grease will suffice.

Another person suggested that cleaning the filter should become part of one’s weekly routine, especially if they do a lot of washing.

You read it here first, folks! This is your reminder to check your washing machines and clean your filters.
I regularly cLean mine out, every couple of days.

I clean mine every week, don't get why anyone would wait a couple of yrs!
As a younger person I have to say... Sometimes you just don't know about these things. I had no idea that a washing machine had a filter until I saw this. We actually didn't have a washing machine growing up which is probably why I was never told

As a younger person I have to say... Sometimes you just don't know about these things. I had no idea that a washing machine had a filter until I saw this. We actually didn't have a washing machine growing up which is probably why I was never told
My parents didn't own a washing machine when I was growing up either, remember the old copper and washing day very well, but in the booklet instructions that came with the washing machine 3 of my children chipped in to buy me 3yrs ago (25yr old one finally died) it told me there are filters that need to be cleaned out on a regular basis. Even the one that was 25yrs old had those instructions in the booklet.

• Sad
Reactions: Lizzy, Ricci and Xe

Does nobody read the instruction manual that comes with the machine, it is clearly written.

I clean mine on a semi regular routine (when I think of it)! To date I have not made any exciting finds but I live in hope!