Aussie mum falls victim to Coles rewards points scam, sparks nationwide warning

In an increasingly digital age, where online shopping and rewards programs have become integral parts of daily life, instances of scams and fraudulent activities targeting unsuspecting consumers have also proliferated.

Recently, one Aussie mum’s cautionary tale serves as a stark reminder of the potential risks associated with loyalty programs offered by major retailers.

Her experience highlights the importance of vigilance and awareness when engaging with such schemes to avoid falling victim to deceptive tactics.

During a hectic day, Sar Nimarota, a business owner from Wollongong, NSW, found herself ensnared in a scammer's web.

A text message popped up on her phone, seemingly from Coles, urging her to redeem her rewards points as they are ‘expiring soon’.

‘Like many working people and parents, I was in the middle of a couple of different things and quite focussed, and I saw this text message, and it said you have Coles rewards points,’ Ms Nimarota shared.

‘Normally I would have noticed that the number didn't say Coles, but because I was busy my guard was down, and I just didn’t compute, and I clicked the link—first mistake.’

Web version scam alert - 14 May.png
An Australian mother fell victim to a text scam claiming to be from Coles, leading her to disclose personal banking information. Credits: ACMA

The link led her to a website that bore the hallmarks of the Coles brand, complete with familiar colours and logos.

It was a convincing facade, one that prompted Ms Nimarota to ‘use’ her points before they vanished into the ether.

‘That’s when they got me because it was all branded Coles and it looked like a Coles site. It didn't look unusual. And because it said I had points and they were expiring soon I just didn’t compute and thought I better use them,’ the mum recalled.

The scam site offered her the chance to purchase a case of beer, which she could pay for almost entirely with her ‘points’, leaving just $1.50 to be covered by her bank card.

‘You almost had a little dopamine hit because you thought you could get something for nothing,’ she said.

‘I thought, I'll get my husband a case of beer, and it will be delivered. Fantastic. That's a nice treat for him. I even texted him and said, I managed to get you beer with Coles reward points. It took three days for the penny to drop.’

It wasn't until a few days later, when a similar text arrived, that the realisation hit her.

‘My heart dropped in my stomach, it’s not Coles. I’ve allowed myself to be scammed,’ she recounted.

Ms Nimarota contacted her bank immediately to cancel her cards, change her passwords, and set up two-factor authentication to safeguard her accounts.

Determined to prevent others from falling into the same trap, she took to social media to share her experience.

Her warning resonated with many as comments like, ‘Other people said, me too, me too, me too. Other people said, “I've seen that. I was about to click on it. Thank you so much,”’ flooded in from others who had encountered the scam or narrowly avoided it thanks to her alert.

Ms Nimarota acknowledged feeling embarrassed for being deceived by the scam but emphasised its prevalence and urged fellow Australians to remain alert to the signs of similar scams.

‘I'm 43. I've got a big business, and I'm just a busy woman who let her guard down. And when you let your guard down and are trusting, you can learn a lesson,’ she shared.

The New South Wales Police recently posted on social media advising individuals against clicking on any links sent by scammers posing as representatives of Coles.

Additionally, the National Anti-Scam Centre has cautioned Australians about a message scam targeting Qantas Frequent Flyer and Telstra loyalty programs.

According to Scamwatch, there have been 209 reports of such scams in the last four months.

‘While the vast majority of reports to Scamwatch received so far are in relation to Qantas Frequent Flyer, Telstra and Coles loyalty programs, it is important for Australians to be aware that any loyalty program could be referred to in this type of scam,’ Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) Deputy Chair Catriona Lowe warned.

Scamwatch provides essential advice on its website to help individuals steer clear of falling victim to scams.

The guidance includes three key steps: ‘STOP’, which encourages individuals to take their time before divulging any personal information; ‘THINK’, prompting recipients to question the authenticity of the message; and ‘PROTECT’, advising swift action if any suspicion arises.

In case of doubt, individuals were urged to reach out to the company mentioned in the loyalty program message for verification and report any scams to Scamwatch promptly.

These proactive measures aim to empower individuals to safeguard themselves against potential fraudulent activities.

As Australian consumers grapple with the repercussions of scams targeting popular loyalty programs like Coles Rewards Points, the broader context of rising cyber threats looms large.

Instances like this scam, which Ms Nimarota experienced, serve as poignant reminders of the need for heightened vigilance in navigating the digital landscape.

Against the backdrop of Australia's escalating battle against cyberattacks, the incident underscores the urgency for individuals to remain informed and proactive in safeguarding their online security.

This convergence of consumer vulnerability and the escalating cyber threat landscape underscores the imperative for collective action to mitigate the risks posed by malicious actors in cyberspace.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian mum was scammed by a text message claiming to be from Coles, which tricked her into providing personal banking details.
  • The scam involved a fake notification about expiring Coles rewards points and led to a phishing website designed to look like Coles' official site.
  • Coles warned on their website that they never ask for personal banking details in unsolicited communications, and authorities are urging people not to click on suspicious links.
  • Scamwatch reported numerous cases relating to loyalty program scams and advises the public to be vigilant, use two-factor authentication and change passwords regularly to protect against such scams.

Have you or someone you know encountered a similar scam? What measures do you employ to avoid being a victim of this scheme? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below.

Sponsored
Yes just this week alone, telstra, paypal, aust post and coles. Either by text or emails. I never click on the links, I always go through the apps and check for notifications. Easy to get caught though when your in a hurry and not focusing. Stay vigilant people.

Same scam I scored $214 from...
NEVER reply to the MESSAGE - contact the company through the GENUINE sites on Google etc.
I have contacted at least 5 sites this way, avoiding the scam.
Coles, PayPal, Commonwealth Bank, Australia Post, to name a few.

Received a couple of these as well...don't even shop with Coles! Told my husband that some gullible people WILL be scammed with this!

Reactions: Gsr
What exactly are Coles loyalty points? I thought they only used Flybuys. I keep getting messages saying my 3,200 points are about to expire which I constantly delete, along with my Telstra points when I’ve never ever had an account with them. Totally over scammers!

What exactly are Coles loyalty points? I thought they only used Flybuys. I keep getting messages saying my 3,200 points are about to expire which I constantly delete, along with my Telstra points when I’ve never ever had an account with them. Totally over scammers!
Scammers waiting for fish to bite. I get the rubbish texts as well and like you I just delete!

I mentioned this scam on this site a few weeks back..they asked for my credit card details..I knew then was scam..Coles doesn't ask for credit details.
Sorry to hear someone got caught in this.... kinda obvious scam to me.

Reactions: Gsr and Babbie
I’ve had a few of those texts and I’ve thought hang on. They’re on the card. Why would they send me a text like that? And I’ve just ignored them. Just deleted them off my phone. These people will go to any lengths to get your money did nothing but maggots. I know the federal police have court a lot of them But it doesn’t stop them. There are thousands of these maggots hanging around out there they disgust me. I feel so sorry for the people that gets swindled by these maggots.

Reactions: zero 2 and Gsr
Hey all you educated clever people out there. When you shop at coles(online or personal). If you use your flybuys card then points are allocated which are not from Coles - ACTUALLY FLYBUYS.
So any message about points from Coles will definitely be RUBBISH (SCAM).
Wake up everybody - it is really simple - even if you are a busy bee person !!!!!!!!!

And of course she clicked on the link. The one thing we have be told a thousands times not to do.
I got the same txt yesterday, so maybe that will be the end now that me fake points have expired.

There is another txt from TELSRA not TELSTRA claiming my points are about to expire. This guy can't even spell.

My loyalty points and subscriptions have run out on so many things I don't even have points or subscriptions to. In the bin with them.

I needed to visit Telstra re obtaining an e-statement. That was fixed but I was told I had many points. I didn’t know about points but was told you get points when you pay your account. I was given something that was worth $179.00. I gave it to me granddaughter as I had no use for it, whatever it was! She was happy with it!

Yep I've even had from banks..I've never banked with..go figure...