Aussie man explodes after 'overpaying' for one Macca's item

It's no secret that Australians often pay more for goods and services than our friends across the pond in the United States.

However, one Aussie customer couldn't contain his disbelief at the price of a fizzy drink at McDonald's.

Online content creator Daniel Amos took to social media to vent his frustration after visiting a Macca's branch in Sydney, leaving his wallet feeling lighter.

In a video he shared online, Daniel held up a large Coke for which he paid $5.40—and expressed his shock at the price tag.

'This is probably small in America. I've bought nothing else other than this Coke, and it was $5.40,' Daniel said in the video.

compressed-macca3.jpeg
Daniel Amos shared his differing experiences in an Australian McDonald's and compared it to its American counterpart. Image Credit: TikTok/Daniel Amos

He also highlighted the price difference between American McDonald's 'Dollar Menu', where a Coke of any size costs US$1 (A$1.51).

'Guess what? Unlike America, we don't get refills. So you buy this large Coke for $5.40 with nothing else,' he added.

'That has to be one of the most ridiculous things.'

The video struck a chord with many Aussies who felt the pinch of high prices. Comments flooded in from McDonald's fans, agreeing that Australians seem to be getting 'ripped off'.

'Welcome to Australia, mate; we get ripped off left, right and centre,' one commenter lamented.

However, only some were on Daniel's side.

Some pointed out the currency difference, noting that A$5.40 equates to about US$3.33, which they argued was a regular price.

Some comments also noted other differences between Aussie and American Culture.

'Yeah, but we have free healthcare,' another pointed out.

'Did you tip your server?' a third asked.

One commenter suggested, 'Start your restaurant and tell us how much the soft drinks cost to make it a viable business.'

In response to the outcry, McDonald's Australia defended their pricing.

'We're committed to providing our customers with great value across our menu and exceptional service every day, whether in our restaurants, drive-thru or McDelivery,' a McDonald's spokesperson said.

'Customers can take advantage of our year-round Loose Change Menu, which offers great savings: frozen beverages from $1, desserts from $1.50, and hamburgers from $2.00.'

Furthermore, McDonald's Australia also emphasised the MyMacca's loyalty program and various bundle deals as ways customers can save money.

This incident raises a broader question: Are we getting our money's worth when dining out or grabbing quick fast-food bites in Australia?

It's worth considering the factors contributing to the higher costs we face Down Under.

From the higher minimum wage to the costs associated with importing certain goods and the GST, there are many reasons why prices can be higher in Australia compared to the US.

Yet, it's also essential for consumers to be aware of the value they're getting and to speak up if they feel overcharged.

After all, every dollar counts, especially for those of us who are watching our spending.
Key Takeaways

• Online content creator Daniel Amos expressed intense outrage at the cost of a large Coke at McDonald's Australia and compared it to its American counterpart.
  • His video highlighting the price discrepancy went viral, with many Australians agreeing that local prices are a 'rip-off' compared to the US.
  • A McDonald's Australia spokesperson emphasised the company's commitment to providing great value and exceptional service and pointed towards their Loose Change Menu for other affordable options.
  • The discussion raised points about the differences in the cost of living, the value of the currency, and important services in Australia, suggesting these factors could contribute to the price differences.
Are the prices justified, or are we being taken for a ride? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below—we'd love to hear your take on this fizzy debate!

Sponsored
Don’t like it don’t buy it. A bottle of coke is $1.70 on special. Then you don’t pay for their rent, insurance, wages, etcc

McDonalds say to use their online app program to get deals.
Well ...... they are quick but the apps don't work,I had racked up a few point to get items but then the app wouldn't work anymore. When signing back in all points disappeared. They don't answer any emails you send them regarding problems. It happened 3 times, I gave up on mcdonalds now.
They are expensive & don't care about their customers ....

Reactions: Gsr
Welcome to Aus, if you don‘t like the prices here bugger off back to America, no need to have a rant on social media for your ten minutes of fame.

I think most people here know that in North America the apparent low cost of meals in eating establishments is because the staff get paid a pittance. They truly do rely on tips.

So much better here. No tipping expected because you know the wages are not so disgustingly poor as they are in USA and Canada. With currency comparison, we really don’t pay much more than they do.

Can’t see what all the fuss is about. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: Lolali
Free speech Gsr that's what social media etc is all about or maybe disconnect your internet. We all have to watch, listen to other rubbish & put up with it.
There's always something someone will annoy others about. Tomorrow's another day....

No value in Maccas any more.
Their prices have exceeded inflation, and the quality does not match the price asked.
They don't want people like us who notice the decline.
They cater to the ones who have no idea what Maccas quality used to be.
While people are willing to pay for poor fast food quality, Maccas will keep selling it to them.

Reactions: DLHM
$5.40 will get you a bloody good coffee the same size, next time order a LARGE meal deal and the coke will actually cost less.

Reactions: Ingot
Havetah feel for Amos though, It must be really hard coming up with new ideas all the time to spruik to those that are incapable of thinking for themselves. Creating outrage is exhausting work I imagine, especially if one is holding down a real job as well!

No doubt in my mind there are some aspects of social media that are valuable, I just don't see any value in so-called influencers, or is it manipulators, never quite sure on that one.

• Haha
Reactions: Ingot and DLHM
Havetah feel for Amos though, It must be really hard coming up with new ideas all the time to spruik to those that are incapable of thinking for themselves. Creating outrage is exhausting work I imagine, especially if one is holding down a real job as well!

No doubt in my mind there are some aspects of social media that are valuable, I just don't see any value in so-called influencers, or is it manipulators, never quite sure on that one.
Don't spend as much time on this site as I used to.
Plenty of other things to interest me that appeal.
eg am brushing up on my French, and surprised at how much is still in my head from 35 years ago.
Someone gave me an unused Linguaphone course when they heard I was going to France and New Caledonia. It did help a lot.

Off topic I know - but let me give a couple of quick links here to a couple of language teaching sites:

* https://www.duolingo.com/courses

* https://www.thefrenchexperiment.com/

* https://linguaphone.co.uk/

Linguaphone might be good for the grand-kids learning a language at school.
They might even top their class if they have motivation.
You could learn with them via Social media if that's an option.
Costs vary - from around $AU110 to $AU160.
Has not become much more expensive over time.

There are probably others.
Be aware there is no free lunch.
These courses will eventually lead you to paid sections, which I have easily avoided for now.

I'd appreciate links to other sites if people have found them useful too.
Anyone have tips to learning other languages?

I have heard that by learning another language, it helps people who have a little dementia, and may even prevent it.
Some say it's too late for me ... 😂😂

Reactions: Littleboy8