Aussie loses almost $300,000 to elaborate romance scam - Make sure you don't fall for it!

In today's fast-paced world, it's become increasingly common for people to find romantic connections through various online platforms. However, as with all good things, there is a dark side to this modern form of courtship – romance scams.

Queensland native Paul Reed found out the hard way just how dangerous these scams can be when he was tricked out of nearly $300,000 by a sophisticated fraudster.

Paul's story began with an innocent request on LinkedIn, but as time went on, it evolved into a friendship - and then something more serious. He said: ‘It sort of grew into a friendship, and then it started getting a bit heavier.’

‘They get you when you're vulnerable. And when they find out what you've got, they'll try and take everything, every single dollar.’

scam1.jpg
The man said he was almost swindled out of $300,000. Credit: Thirdman/Pexels

The scammer eventually convinced Paul that she needed his help to access her locked multi-million-dollar bank account.

Despite having a bad feeling about it from the start, Paul was reassured by fake receipts, phone calls, and even video calls with the woman and a pretend bank employee.

But things took a drastic turn when Australian police, suspecting Paul was a money mule, came knocking on his door.

‘He was under the impression that the female he had been talking with on LinkedIn was, in fact, real, and it wasn’t until he was actually shown pictures of the potential suspects based in Nigeria that his world came crashing down,’ Queensland Police representative Ian Wells said.

‘It's very hard to talk about because I am ashamed,’ said Paul.

scam2.jpg
This isn’t an isolated case. Credit: picjumbo.com/Pexels

This kind of twisted ‘love story’ is, unfortunately, not an isolated case. According to the ACCC, Australians were swindled out of $210 million in romance scams just last year alone. For a deep dive into romance scams, you can read the details in this article.

Mr Wells also had a warning for those looking for love online: ‘Please do not transfer any amount of money, especially if you have just met them online.’

Paul also shared this story in the hope that those looking for love won’t end up heartbroken and broke instead.

‘If you're looking for love, try and find it the old-fashioned way,’ Paul said.

‘It's a killer; it really is.’

We’ve seen our fair share of scams over the years, yet it seems the digital age has only increased the number of cunning strategies used by fraudsters.

While finding a romantic connection online may seem like a convenient and efficient way to meet someone new, it's crucial to remain cautious.

Some tips we want to share with our members include:
  • Remember that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
  • Trust your instincts, and don't be afraid to say no or walk away.
  • Keep personal information private, and be cautious with what you share online.
  • Verify the person's identity through alternative channels, such as a video chat or phone call.
  • Be wary of requests for money, regardless of the reasons given.
Stay safe out there, dear readers, and always keep your wits about you when seeking companionship online.

Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland man was swindled out of nearly $300,000 in a sophisticated romance scam that started on LinkedIn.
  • The scammer posed as a woman who claimed she needed help accessing her locked multi-million dollar bank account.
  • Fake receipts, phone and video calls with the woman and a pretend bank employee reassured the victim while the thieves used his bank account to launder money.
  • Data from the ACCC shows romance scams swindled Australians out of $210 million last year.
Have you or someone you know ever been a victim of a romance scam? Share your experience, as well as tips on how to stay safe online, in the comments below.

Sponsored
In today's fast-paced world, it's become increasingly common for people to find romantic connections through various online platforms. However, as with all good things, there is a dark side to this modern form of courtship – romance scams.

Queensland native Paul Reed found out the hard way just how dangerous these scams can be when he was tricked out of nearly $300,000 by a sophisticated fraudster.

Paul's story began with an innocent request on LinkedIn, but as time went on, it evolved into a friendship - and then something more serious. He said: ‘It sort of grew into a friendship, and then it started getting a bit heavier.’

‘They get you when you're vulnerable. And when they find out what you've got, they'll try and take everything, every single dollar.’

View attachment 20944

The scammer eventually convinced Paul that she needed his help to access her locked multi-million-dollar bank account.

Despite having a bad feeling about it from the start, Paul was reassured by fake receipts, phone calls, and even video calls with the woman and a pretend bank employee.

But things took a drastic turn when Australian police, suspecting Paul was a money mule, came knocking on his door.

‘He was under the impression that the female he had been talking with on LinkedIn was, in fact, real, and it wasn’t until he was actually shown pictures of the potential suspects based in Nigeria that his world came crashing down,’ Queensland Police representative Ian Wells said.

View attachment 20945

This kind of twisted ‘love story’ is, unfortunately, not an isolated case. According to the ACCC, Australians were swindled out of $210 million in romance scams just last year alone. For a deep dive into romance scams, you can read the details in this article.

Mr Wells also had a warning for those looking for love online: ‘Please do not transfer any amount of money, especially if you have just met them online.’

Paul also shared this story in the hope that those looking for love won’t end up heartbroken and broke instead.

We’ve seen our fair share of scams over the years, yet it seems the digital age has only increased the number of cunning strategies used by fraudsters.

While finding a romantic connection online may seem like a convenient and efficient way to meet someone new, it's crucial to remain cautious.

• Keep personal information private, and be cautious with what you share online.
  • Verify the person's identity through alternative channels, such as a video chat or phone call.
Stay safe out there, dear readers, and always keep your wits about you when seeking companionship online.

Key Takeaways

• A Queensland man was swindled out of nearly $300,000 in a sophisticated romance scam that started on LinkedIn.
  • The scammer posed as a woman who claimed she needed help accessing her locked multi-million dollar bank account.
  • Fake receipts, phone and video calls with the woman and a pretend bank employee reassured the victim while the thieves used his bank account to launder money.
  • Data from the ACCC shows romance scams swindled Australians out of $210 million last year.
Have you or someone you know ever been a victim of a romance scam? Share your experience, as well as tips on how to stay safe online, in the comments below.

View attachment 20944

View attachment 20945

Key Takeaways

This woman needed help to unlock her multimillion dollar account??? Oh, give me a break.

A few weeks ago I had an answer to something I had made a comment on on facebook, there was a photograph of a beautiful 32 year old blond who said she liked the comments I made on face book and would I like to become her friend, she said she was having trouble with her Messenger and would I make contact through mine, instantly I thought Hi Hi here is going to be followed by a hard luck story and could I help her out, I said I do not make friends unless I know them and I have not heard from her again

Reactions: terri and Pink lion
It is not just romance scams getting your hard earned cash. I have become aware of emails detailing special groups in craft or quilting or lots of other groups that sound interesting to join with perhaps a very small charge. No problems and nomore charges, just sign in and for twelve months you get weekly or monthly emails with instructions re whatever you were interested in, but be aware I have then had my account debited for amounts over AU$300.00 for the next years fees when that first year has expired. No warning or request for money, just find that my account or Pay Pal has been debited for the future year. I now never accept membership of a craft or quilting group when offered free as this can and has happened to me.
Do take care members

It is not just romance scams getting your hard earned cash. I have become aware of emails detailing special groups in craft or quilting or lots of other groups that sound interesting to join with perhaps a very small charge. No problems and nomore charges, just sign in and for twelve months you get weekly or monthly emails with instructions re whatever you were interested in, but be aware I have then had my account debited for amounts over AU$300.00 for the next years fees when that first year has expired. No warning or request for money, just find that my account or Pay Pal has been debited for the future year. I now never accept membership of a craft or quilting group when offered free as this can and has happened to me.
Do take care members
I have joined quite a few online quilting and craft groups and have NEVER paid any membership fee! I wouldn't!

Furthermore if, at the off chance I was considering to join a group that charges fees, I would be reading their terms and condition to ensure I was not subscribing to something that has automatic renewals. And I certainly do not give anybody the opportunity to access my money. I make most of my payments through BPay and, if I pay an individual, Osko.

I just don't understand if a person has $300,000.00 that they do not contact their accountant and pay to assist their friend in need (as they must have one) that way at least a person with a banking issue, could be assisted by a professional who does not want to lose their clients' money. As after all the money is to be refunded in full right?

In the middle of typing this out, I received yet another call that hung up on me when I answered, so I block them.

Is this phone and hang up method, some Marketing Gurus way of finding who's at home? I have also had another Robotic voice while typing this with an Asian accent call just then, saying all of my phone and internet services will be cancelled if I don't contact them immediately. ha ha ha ha

Hilariously this is about the eight time since January, that I have deleted this message. So, its Nigeria, China and India mostly Phishing in the Bigpond and with politicians basically in it totally for themselves and corporations doing likewise, and clickbait scammers arriving daily, I feel that it's all a part of a board game and somehow, I move around the edge watching and hearing people being played.

It's such a funny (weird) world now, Hey guys.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
This afternoon I had a similar call about the internet being cancelled and they then hung up on me when answered. Then minutes later another call about some charity - didn’t listen any further & said I do not give to charities. Phone down. Then blocked the number. Calls these days coming in on landline & mobile. B***dy annoying. Many calls when answered there is a lag and then a voice before they disconnect from their end. If calls are recorded I know they are scammers and just put the phone down.

This afternoon I had a similar call about the internet being cancelled and they then hung up on me when answered. Then minutes later another call about some charity - didn’t listen any further & said I do not give to charities. Phone down. Then blocked the number. Calls these days coming in on landline & mobile. B***dy annoying. Many calls when answered there is a lag and then a voice before they disconnect from their end. If calls are recorded I know they are scammers and just put the phone down.

It would just take only a fortnight of our experiences, to similarly effect the prime minister and cabinet, and it would be resolved. No more scam calls.

America has Anti scam heroes like scam baiter and organizations geared towards eradicating it.

Only business and corporations get high level protection from them because they donate to govt and it appears politicians get this scam protection too but not us, it seems.

That's how progress seems to work here. if only a there was way where our leaders could adopt a leadership role and lead us not into temptation and deliver us from evil, for ever and ever, Ah men and Ah women, what an amazing country, what a progressive nation we all would be in.

Had another call from "Telstra" this afternoon, so I half covered the handset and yelled out to "Officer Brown" to track the call.

• Love
Reactions: Pink lion
Love it! Americans have a few internationally famous cyber warriors that harass scam centers, often retrieve stolen funds, expose them and delete all of their records.

Surely in this copycat world someone in Australia will step up and do likewise for us here, one day.

View attachment 20944

View attachment 20945

Key Takeaways

While one must in some way sympathise with this man surely he has eyes and ears and reads and see’s and hears all types of media whom are consistently warning people of these scams. And at this man’s age one would have to assume that man is not a complete idiot and should have known that he was being scammed. In my humble opinion he deserved what he got for allowing an unknown person to take his money.

Years ago my mother, well into her 80s at the time, had a company sell her broadband. Fortunately we visited that evening and she told us about it. Straight on the phone to the company and asked if they wanted to be on television next day about their impudence selling broadband to someone who didn’t even have a computer; in those days computers were the only appliance using broadband. Money refunded next day!

But some people are still very gullible in relation to giving out bank details, clicking on links etc in spite of all the warning info out there. Sorry for this man but PLEASE, PLEASE stay aware & don’t click on links. Phone your bank etc first before doing anything you are asked to do. Wasn’t the Million Dollar bank account this woman had enough to raise suspicion?

YES, I AGREE NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER, CLICK ON A LINK that you do not know and trust... That is how they get you!

Don't be fooled by seeing a television presenters face either as SCAMMERS use them as Phishing lures.