Aussie lives at risk as critical medications disappear from shelves amid national shortage crisis

Imagine living with a chronic illness, relying on vital maintenance medications to manage your symptoms and maintain a decent quality of life. Now, imagine those medications suddenly disappearing from store shelves and pharmacies, leaving you in a desperate search for a lifeline. Unfortunately, this nightmare scenario is currently playing out for many Australians as a national shortage of crucial pharmaceuticals hits home.

One concerned Aussie recently took to Reddit to raise the alarm about the shortage of Ditropan (also known as oxybutynin) and other medications, wondering why there seemed to be little to no media coverage of the crisis. As it turns out, they're not alone in their struggle to access life-sustaining drugs, with reports of shortages and supply issues affecting patients across the country.

They said: ‘My wife has MS. As a result, she needs a lot of medications. One of those is a continence drug called Ditropan. It is THE gold standard for continence drugs. Anyway, Australia ran out of stock about two months ago and the best estimate is that it won’t be available again until mid-December.

‘The alternative drugs just don’t work as well – thus, there are currently hundreds of thousands of Australians with continence issues who are now forced into wearing adult diapers as a result of this shortage because the country is COMPLETELY out. Not even hospitals have any left. I was talking to a doctor friend about this and she confirmed the hospitals are out too, but she also said she’s hearing about issues with other drug supplies as well (diabetes, for example).

‘Are others also affected by the Ditropan issue, or other medications? Would be good to hear from others if key medications are suddenly scarce, or other items you’ve noticed.’

They continued: ‘This takes away my wife’s ability to control a basic function of life, strips her of dignity with wetting herself/bed requiring diapers and is putting a huge additional physical strain on her as she needs to go to the bathroom far more often, making her very tired (and fatigue is a huge issue in MS already). If there are broader supply chain issues facing medical supplies, it would be good to understand what is ‘at risk’ produce.’

pexels-polina-tankilevitch-3873209.jpg
Aussies are finding it difficult to get medications that are necessary in the management of their conditions. Credit: Polina Tankilevitch/Pexels

Other Redditors shared similar frustrations in procuring drugs they or their loved ones rely on.

A parent shared: ‘One of our daughter's epilepsy medications called Keppra is always a gamble. We keep two unopened bottles in stock, but often, the pharmacy has it on backorder. At one point during 2020, there was no stock available for 3 months and we were a week away from taking her into the hospital to access their stash. We found one pharmacy that had the only stock in all of SEQ – they had multiple families driving 3 hours or more to come and get a bottle.’

Another commented: ‘My wife is on Ditropan because of Parkinsonism, so we felt the shortage of that drug. The doctor put her on a patch that has the same medication and that did work but she has trouble keeping patches on, they don't stick very well to her skin. The upshot of that is we burned through a lot of patches. However, our local chemist can now get Ditropan in, so we have the pills back now. I had to get a new prescription for it but we got there in the end. Basically, I kept asking the chemist when they expected it back in so we learned about it being available pretty quickly.’

A Redditor wrote: ‘My mother has diabetes and usually takes a weekly injection called Trulicity. All pharmacies I have called say it is out of stock and has been for about a month.’

Another user whose parent uses Trulicity, a drug for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, commented: ‘Same, my mother said she can't get hers until at least December probably. She had to go back on metformin, and she's losing a ton of progress on her health. It's heartbreaking and I don't know what to do other than despair.’

Some psychotropic medications are also harder to find: ‘There have been shortages on some antidepressants recently, which is terrifying. Ceasing them abruptly has awful side effects and you can't just switch types if yours is out of stock.’

The situation has become so desperate for some, it’s forcing them to think outside the box: ‘I've been in a situation like yours, where a partner needs a drug for quality of life issue. I ended up (long story) speaking with the manufacturer overseas, speaking with the local importers, and eventually was put onto another importer who was in the process of getting an alternative brought in. Might be worth keeping your ear out for anyone importing the same thing from another source.’

The Guardian previously reported on the ‘dire’ shortage in Australia of more than 300 medications, including those typically prescribed for diabetes, hormone replacement, depression, nausea, and stroke. While drug shortages happen occasionally, the pandemic has exacerbated the situation as it has affected global supply chains. The then-president of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Karen Price said: ‘What we’re finding is that we’re suddenly getting patients saying I can’t get that medication or the pharmacist has changed it, so this is becoming an increasing problem.’

The problem is international – several countries in Europe are also facing shortages in widely used medications – but the impact is perhaps more felt in the country because Australia is highly dependent on imports for its supply. As much as 90 per cent of medications in the country are imported, mostly from the US and Europe. Manufacturers, in turn, rely on China and India for the production of active ingredients.

There are section 19A medications, which are drugs not on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) but are approved for import and supply in Australia in cases of shortages. However, they are not always affordable to the people who need them.

Last year, the federal government made an agreement with the pharmaceutical industry in an effort to mitigate the effects of drug shortages in Australia. The ‘Minimum Stockholding Requirements’ will require manufacturers to hold a minimum of either 4 or 6 months of stock in Australia for certain PBS-listed medicines. However, it won’t take effect until July 2023, and others have expressed disappointment that it took this long to come up with the deal.

In the meantime, Ditropan remains in short supply. The shortage is expected to be resolved by 19 January 2023, a month after the original estimate of mid-December. You can find other medications affected by the shortage on the Therapeutic Goods Administration database.

Are you affected by the national shortage of select pharmaceuticals? We’d love to hear about your experience in the comments.

Sponsored
I see that Edronax is affected, I hope my Pharmacist can supply it:confused:

Reactions: Ricci
Imagine living with a chronic illness, relying on vital maintenance medications to manage your symptoms and maintain a decent quality of life. Now, imagine those medications suddenly disappearing from store shelves and pharmacies, leaving you in a desperate search for a lifeline. Unfortunately, this nightmare scenario is currently playing out for many Australians as a national shortage of crucial pharmaceuticals hits home.

One concerned Aussie recently took to Reddit to raise the alarm about the shortage of Ditropan (also known as oxybutynin) and other medications, wondering why there seemed to be little to no media coverage of the crisis. As it turns out, they're not alone in their struggle to access life-sustaining drugs, with reports of shortages and supply issues affecting patients across the country.

They said: ‘My wife has MS. As a result, she needs a lot of medications. One of those is a continence drug called Ditropan. It is THE gold standard for continence drugs. Anyway, Australia ran out of stock about two months ago and the best estimate is that it won’t be available again until mid-December.

‘The alternative drugs just don’t work as well – thus, there are currently hundreds of thousands of Australians with continence issues who are now forced into wearing adult diapers as a result of this shortage because the country is COMPLETELY out. Not even hospitals have any left. I was talking to a doctor friend about this and she confirmed the hospitals are out too, but she also said she’s hearing about issues with other drug supplies as well (diabetes, for example).

‘Are others also affected by the Ditropan issue, or other medications? Would be good to hear from others if key medications are suddenly scarce, or other items you’ve noticed.’

They continued: ‘This takes away my wife’s ability to control a basic function of life, strips her of dignity with wetting herself/bed requiring diapers and is putting a huge additional physical strain on her as she needs to go to the bathroom far more often, making her very tired (and fatigue is a huge issue in MS already). If there are broader supply chain issues facing medical supplies, it would be good to understand what is ‘at risk’ produce.’

View attachment 10945
Aussies are finding it difficult to get medications that are necessary in the management of their conditions. Credit: Polina Tankilevitch/Pexels

Other Redditors shared similar frustrations in procuring drugs they or their loved ones rely on.

A parent shared: ‘One of our daughter's epilepsy medications called Keppra is always a gamble. We keep two unopened bottles in stock, but often, the pharmacy has it on backorder. At one point during 2020, there was no stock available for 3 months and we were a week away from taking her into the hospital to access their stash. We found one pharmacy that had the only stock in all of SEQ – they had multiple families driving 3 hours or more to come and get a bottle.’

Another commented: ‘My wife is on Ditropan because of Parkinsonism, so we felt the shortage of that drug. The doctor put her on a patch that has the same medication and that did work but she has trouble keeping patches on, they don't stick very well to her skin. The upshot of that is we burned through a lot of patches. However, our local chemist can now get Ditropan in, so we have the pills back now. I had to get a new prescription for it but we got there in the end. Basically, I kept asking the chemist when they expected it back in so we learned about it being available pretty quickly.’

A Redditor wrote: ‘My mother has diabetes and usually takes a weekly injection called Trulicity. All pharmacies I have called say it is out of stock and has been for about a month.’

Another user whose parent uses Trulicity, a drug for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, commented: ‘Same, my mother said she can't get hers until at least December probably. She had to go back on metformin, and she's losing a ton of progress on her health. It's heartbreaking and I don't know what to do other than despair.’

Some psychotropic medications are also harder to find: ‘There have been shortages on some antidepressants recently, which is terrifying. Ceasing them abruptly has awful side effects and you can't just switch types if yours is out of stock.’

The situation has become so desperate for some, it’s forcing them to think outside the box: ‘I've been in a situation like yours, where a partner needs a drug for quality of life issue. I ended up (long story) speaking with the manufacturer overseas, speaking with the local importers, and eventually was put onto another importer who was in the process of getting an alternative brought in. Might be worth keeping your ear out for anyone importing the same thing from another source.’

The Guardian previously reported on the ‘dire’ shortage in Australia of more than 300 medications, including those typically prescribed for diabetes, hormone replacement, depression, nausea, and stroke. While drug shortages happen occasionally, the pandemic has exacerbated the situation as it has affected global supply chains. The then-president of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Karen Price said: ‘What we’re finding is that we’re suddenly getting patients saying I can’t get that medication or the pharmacist has changed it, so this is becoming an increasing problem.’

The problem is international – several countries in Europe are also facing shortages in widely used medications – but the impact is perhaps more felt in the country because Australia is highly dependent on imports for its supply. As much as 90 per cent of medications in the country are imported, mostly from the US and Europe. Manufacturers, in turn, rely on China and India for the production of active ingredients.

There are section 19A medications, which are drugs not on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) but are approved for import and supply in Australia in cases of shortages. However, they are not always affordable to the people who need them.

Last year, the federal government made an agreement with the pharmaceutical industry in an effort to mitigate the effects of drug shortages in Australia. The ‘Minimum Stockholding Requirements’ will require manufacturers to hold a minimum of either 4 or 6 months of stock in Australia for certain PBS-listed medicines. However, it won’t take effect until July 2023, and others have expressed disappointment that it took this long to come up with the deal.

In the meantime, Ditropan remains in short supply. The shortage is expected to be resolved by 19 January 2023, a month after the original estimate of mid-December. You can find other medications affected by the shortage on the Therapeutic Goods Administration database.

Are you affected by the national shortage of select pharmaceuticals? We’d love to hear about your experience in the comments.
Being a diabetic, I was using a drug called Ozempic, Trulicity could also help.
But supply has run out not only because they cannot get it in from the supplier, but also because there was an added demand for them as doctors were prescribing them to be used for weight loss.

But supply has run out not only because they cannot get it in from the supplier, but also because there was an added demand for them as doctors were prescribing them to be used for weight loss.
My friend in Canberra is totally out of her diabetic meds and is being told she has to wait, not a satisfactory situation when she could go into a coma or worse.

I had to go off Ozempic as there was no supply back in august, still can't get it or Trulicity (which is the weaker of the 2 injections) so diabetes is out of order and being on Chemo pushes the BGL's even higher.

Taking Jardiance tablets to try to achieve the same effect was not fun giving me bladder probs (known side effect) so they had to go. Facing levels fasting of 22 is not good, toes are already losing feeling and kidney function is around 38 and decreasing

I haven't been able to get Trulicity for more than six months and it doesn't look good going forward either. No-one seems to know when it will be back on the shelves and readily available. I have had to juggle my other insulin amounts in an effort to keep my blood sugars level but it hasn't been particularly successful. My Doctor tells me there is something new coming to the market in 2023 that will work a lot better for me but once again no-one knows when or if there will be plentiful supplies. :(

View attachment 10945

So many have to rely on drugs for health these days. We have opted for better eating, though other half isn't all that keen we know we can work around shortages if they come along. Some cannot but could use a low carb diet for spinning out medication such as for type 1 diabetes and epilepsy (trial and error I think with this but has been show to not only reduce seizures but prevent them. Much of our health issues these days are due to eating too much processed foods and also foods our bodies don't process well. 80% of western population is not able to eat a plant based diet or even a partial plant based diet. First thing to get rid of is seed oils like canola and grains of any kind

I have used Byetta for years but it is no longer produced. I have to take Ozempic but have been unable to access it. My pharmacist is hoping that by the end of January there will not be a problem. I only have one injection of Byetta left! It should NOT be allowed to be supplied by doctors who prescribe it to fat people for weight loss.

I have used Byetta for years but it is no longer produced. I have to take Ozempic but have been unable to access it. My pharmacist is hoping that by the end of January there will not be a problem. I only have one injection of Byetta left! It should NOT be allowed to be supplied by doctors who prescribe it to fat people for weight loss.
Yes I totally agree with you. There are so many other ways to lose weight so it should be exclusively for diabetics

I am a Diabetic on insulin, tablets and Ozempic. I missed out for some months on Ozempic but luckily my chemist has found a supplier and can get 6 per month for his "v.i.p." (as he calls us) diabetic customers. He refuses to give it to anyone who isn't a diabetic. I have been there and seen ppl try and bribe him into giving it to them!!!! I feel so bad for other ppl who can't get it :(

Reactions: Strawb and Ricci

View attachment 10945

Its being done on purpose by big pharma forcing people onto an alternative medicine and maybe getting ready to release a newer products of the same stuff with a different name and a higher price

• Sad
I hope that your doctor sticks to his principles and keeps it for diabetics only.
I am a Diabetic on insulin, tablets and Ozempic. I missed out for some months on Ozempic but luckily my chemist has found a supplier and can get 6 per month for his "v.i.p." (as he calls us) diabetic customers. He refuses to give it to anyone who isn't a diabetic. I have been there and seen ppl try and bribe him into giving it to them!!!! I feel so bad for other ppl who can't get it :(

• Love
Reactions: Tipsy and Ricci
I hope that your doctor sticks to his principles and keeps it for diabetics only.
So do I, and this sort of thing is exactly what big pharma and the One world order wants, to get what you need you will have to play ball and be under their total control