Aussie linen brand enters administration faces uncertain future

As we navigate the ever-changing retail landscape, it's with a heavy heart that we report on the latest development that may affect many Australian homes.

Lorraine Lea Linen, a popular name in home textiles that has graced our bedrooms and living spaces for nearly four decades, has entered voluntary administration.

This news comes as a shock to many who have come to rely on Lorraine Lea's reputation for high-quality, affordable linen and homewares.

The company took a step many businesses dread: it appointed Andrew Yeo and Tim Bradd of Pitcher Partners Melbourne as administrators.

'Lorraine Lea Linen is an iconic National brand many Australians have in their homes,' Yeo expressed.

1724987790465.png
Lorraine Lea Linen, a well-known Australian brand, has entered administration after almost 40 years. Credit: Facebook

‘It’s obviously a sad moment for the business owners, given they fought through the COVID lockdowns, which hit the business hard, but they have made the decision to enter Administration.’

‘Our role as Administrators is to realise the stock to pay creditors - and we have been overwhelmed by the response from customers.’

The company had been battling the economic repercussions of the COVID-19 lockdowns, which significantly impacted its operations.

Despite the challenges, the owners fought valiantly to keep the business afloat.

However, the time came to face the reality of the situation and make the tough call.

As administrators, Yeo and Bradd's immediate responsibility is liquidating the stock to repay creditors.

The response from customers has been nothing short of remarkable, with nearly 4000 orders placed in the wake of a 50 per cent off sitewide sale aimed at clearing stock.

‘Since Monday afternoon when we launched the 50 per cent off all stock clearance, we have had nearly 4000 orders and more are arriving every hour. Well over $1 million of quality linen and towels have been sold in just three days,’ Yeo reported.

‘We are now also preparing the company for sale, and we are optimistic of a positive outcome given the strong brand name for Lorraine Lea.’

‘There is a clear market for high-quality linen, and this is an opportunity for someone to take on an iconic local business that is well-loved by many.’

Founded in 1986 by Peter and Heather Ryan in their Melbourne home, Lorraine Lea built a unique direct-selling industry using social media and home styling events to connect independent stylists with customers.

At its peak, the company boasted 1300 stylists and hosted over 40,000 parties, touching the lives of hundreds of thousands of customers across all states and territories.

In other acquisition news, the Quinn family purchased the Iconic Australian dessert brand Sara Lee Australia after it entered voluntary administration last year.

Administrators and employees are pleased with the sale process, highlighting the support of staff and consumers during the transition. Read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Lorraine Lea Linen, an iconic Australian linen company, has entered voluntary administration after nearly 40 years in business.
  • Andrew Yeo and Tim Bradd from Pitcher Partners Melbourne have been appointed as administrators.
  • Despite the company's struggles during COVID lockdowns, they have seen a significant response from customers during a 50 per cent off clearance sale.
  • The administrators are preparing the company for sale, highlighting its strong brand name and market presence in high-quality linen. Interested parties are encouraged to get in touch with the administrators.
How do you think this development might affect your own experiences with homewares or shopping for similar products in the future? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I live in NSW and at one stage was Queen of party plan parties including selling and being an active demonstrator for Tupperware, Bessemer and Designer kids but this one I have never heard off
I’ll bet you prepared yummy nibbles at your parties! Pity I couldn’t have gone to them. I was a sucker for purchasing things (sometimes not even needing them😆). The more trouble the person went to host the parties, the more items I purchased. 😄

I’ll bet you prepared yummy nibbles at your parties! Pity I couldn’t have gone to them. I was a sucker for purchasing things (sometimes not even needing them😆). The more trouble the person went to host the parties, the more items I purchased. 😄
I went over the top I actually served food. I would have the parties just before lunch or around 3pm then after serve actual food. Eg lasagne and salad with marinated chicken wings and always pavlova for desert.

I then went on to becoming a demonstrator in Tupperware and Bessemer and always very honest.
Any pieces I felt were not worth it or didnt work I would tell them while demonstrating . Eg the bread container for bread . The bread always went mouldy quickly.

I had one lady comment at a party that she had a cupboard full of Tupperware that she never used. I told her to have a pantry party and if I didn't use and organise her pantry using her already purchased items I would then give her any item free up to $100.
She booked a party and was so amazed how I organised her pantry using most of her already purchased items that she went on to spend $200.

I always sat with each and every customer and asked why they were purchasing what they were. I went beyond what I needed to which is why I did very well.

It's the same as when I worked in my last job as a bridal consultant I sold two and had even sold 3 dresses to the one bride. A dress for a pre wedding photo shoot, one for the ceremony and one for the reception.

I also had returning brides for either a renewal of their vows or in some cases a second wedding. I have looked after many sisters who's weddings were over a 10 year period

I really miss working

Reactions: DLHM
I went over the top I actually served food. I would have the parties just before lunch or around 3pm then after serve actual food. Eg lasagne and salad with marinated chicken wings and always pavlova for desert.

I then went on to becoming a demonstrator in Tupperware and Bessemer and always very honest.
Any pieces I felt were not worth it or didnt work I would tell them while demonstrating . Eg the bread container for bread . The bread always went mouldy quickly.

I had one lady comment at a party that she had a cupboard full of Tupperware that she never used. I told her to have a pantry party and if I didn't use and organise her pantry using her already purchased items I would then give her any item free up to $100.
She booked a party and was so amazed how I organised her pantry using most of her already purchased items that she went on to spend $200.

I always sat with each and every customer and asked why they were purchasing what they were. I went beyond what I needed to which is why I did very well.

It's the same as when I worked in my last job as a bridal consultant I sold two and had even sold 3 dresses to the one bride. A dress for a pre wedding photo shoot, one for the ceremony and one for the reception.

I also had returning brides for either a renewal of their vows or in some cases a second wedding. I have looked after many sisters who's weddings were over a 10 year period

I really miss working
I could just imagine you’d have been perfect for the parties @Suzanne rose, in all aspects. It’s no wonder you did so well and would’ve been respected for your work.

And the food! I’ve never been to any parties that were so well catered for! 👍🏻

Reactions: Suzanne rose

I really miss working
😢me too

• Sad
I wished I had enjoyed working. Hated it so much I retired early.
I absolutely hated my first job which was at Coles in the fruit n veg department.
Loved my second job which was working at two Darrell Lea shops , Roselands and Hurstville in the early 80s.
When I had my 2nd child I chose party plan , that way I could work around my kids and hubby looking after them. And I loved that job as well but top of my list was being a bridal consultant. It gave me so much joy helping brides find their perfect dress.
On top of that The money was amazing $35 an hour plus 2 % commission on every dress that averaged $20 to $40 a dress. I usually sold 3 to 4 a day and at least 5 on a Saturday my record was 11 dresses in one day. Sale gowns commission was $100. In some weeks I made $1000 just in commission

• Love
I absolutely hated my first job which was at Coles in the fruit n veg department.
Loved my second job which was working at two Darrell Lea shops , Roselands and Hurstville in the early 80s.
When I had my 2nd child I chose party plan , that way I could work around my kids and hubby looking after them. And I loved that job as well but top of my list was being a bridal consultant. It gave me so much joy helping brides find their perfect dress.
On top of that The money was amazing $35 an hour plus 2 % commission on every dress that averaged $20 to $40 a dress. I usually sold 3 to 4 a day and at least 5 on a Saturday my record was 11 dresses in one day. Sale gowns commission was $100. In some weeks I made $1000 just in commission
No wonder you miss working, I worked 3 jobs some weeks but never made that much🤑