Aussie lady shares a five-second hack to dry clothes during winter faster and save on money!

One of the things we love about Australia is how we can make the most out of the free fresh air and sunshine by using our solar-powered clothes dryer (aka our clothesline or hills hoist) to save money. Why spend on a dryer and pay for electricity when you can dry your clothes naturally?

However, come winter time we often don’t have that luxury anymore. Drying laundry outside when the weather is wet and cold is similar to watching paint dry on a wall - it is deadly slow and tedious, and unexpected rain can really put a damper (sorry, but you know we can't resist a good pun) on things.

No need to worry - dryer-related electricity bills (or the alternative - smelly socks and musty laundry) during winter is a thing of the past now that an Aussie homeowner has shared her simple money-saving hack.

Her post on the popular Facebook group, Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia, shows us how we can greatly shorten the drying time of our damp clothes. This one easy act that takes only five seconds to set up will leave your clothes dry and ready to fold in no time.

I-qBH6lkEtx4sXjN-u7ZaASy-J9UWGZOjFrRj1VI3vyFm7NJ4lJmdBpFJZc4rXIzwMWwiWzZCjwt0SAeze0AsqnfPsk5NODt264umLtfTeL3Daay8YBSj2KfcFWK4VC0xQd_cYFwYCGJdcfCk_P_j1E

Draping a larger piece of clothing on the opposite end of your clothes rack should trap the heat and dry your clothes quicker. Credit: Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia/Facebook

This Aussie lady notes that this is the perfect hack for homeowners who dry their laundry inside and in front of their fans and heaters. She advises placing your wet laundry on a clotheshorse and making sure that it is a safe distance from your heat source, whether it be your radiator, fan heater, or heat pump.

To maximise this setup, this homeowner suggests that you hang a larger piece of clothing on the far end of the clothes rack, which should be at the opposite side to your heat source. By doing so, she explains that you can effectively trap the hot air and keep it circulating around the wet laundry which dries your clothes quicker than simply allowing the hot air to ‘escape’ out the back. Think of the money and time you can save with just one simple act!

‘To help if you dry clothes near a heater, turn sideways and block the other end with a larger piece, adjusting as needed,’ the Aussie woman shares. ‘The heat doesn't blow through as quickly, so the clothes dry faster and you stay warm without guilt!’

Just like us, members of the Facebook group had their minds blown by this super ‘simple but effective’ hack, as described by one. ‘Have just bought a clothes horse to save on the dryer.’

‘This is mega inspiring,’ said another.

‘Instant dryer,’ posted a third. ‘Drying clothes, staying warm, and saving money and resources. Just like our grannies did!’

A few other tips were contributed as well.

‘Wrap a sheet around three sides and the top. Instant dryer,’ someone suggested. It was seconded by another user, who says, ‘I find putting something on top works well too.’

‘I used to put a sheet over the lot to keep the heat in and dry them quicker, especially if you can put them over a heating duct,’ someone else added.

Note: Don’t forget to place your clothes a metre away from your heat source to avoid accidents.

A few other tips for indoor drying that you may find useful:
  1. Hang your clothes during the evening. By doing so, your clothes will dry while you sleep and will be ready for folding during the morning.

2. Be mindful when hanging your laundry. Placement is everything, and something as simple as leaving space between your items can help avoid dampness and dry your clothes in a jiffy.

3. Use an iron and tea towels. This hack isn’t ideal for drying an entire load of wet laundry, but can definitely do the job if you need to dry an item or two in no time.

Simply place the item of clothing in between two tea towels, and lay them down on your ironing board. Continue by ironing the top tea towel layer from edge to edge. By doing so, the tea towels absorb moisture and protect your wet item of clothing from direct heat. Your item of clothing will not only be dry but also wrinkle-free, which is a welcome added bonus!
Will you be using any of these ideas to see you through the rest of winter? What other thrifty tips can you share to save on your electricity bills? Leave them for other members down below!

Sponsored
We are in a temporary residence whilst our new build is being completed. Some days when I use to wash I just cannot use the clothesline as the owners of the property are using it. We bought an airing rack!! Firstly to hang our towels on to dry for the next use as the bathroom where we are doesn't offer any good drying. I have found that the drying rack will hold very comfortably 2/3 days of clothes. pegged in early afternoon and left for 24 hours they dry beautifully., 4/5 hours with the heater on late afternoon and night then overnight in the residual heat. We are usually out all the next morning so after lunch I fold them and put away.. Also another hack I read on here was to give everything a second spin and it's amazing how much more water you do get out of things. I did my sheets the other day hung them out and two hours later they were dry!! The line here is sun compromised for a lot of the day but wow this hack worked. They still dried in 24 hours hanging on the airing rack too as did the towels and jeans. Thank you for all these hacks some are really worth giving a try.

Wow. stop the world, someone has just come up with a brand new, ages old method of drying clothes. Were the people not paying attention at home, or at their grandparents, or friends homes, or other rellies. Were they wearing blinkers or blindfolds all the time they were indoors during winter?:rolleyes:o_O;)

We are in a temporary residence whilst our new build is being completed. Some days when I use to wash I just cannot use the clothesline as the owners of the property are using it. We bought an airing rack!! Firstly to hang our towels on to dry for the next use as the bathroom where we are doesn't offer any good drying. I have found that the drying rack will hold very comfortably 2/3 days of clothes. pegged in early afternoon and left for 24 hours they dry beautifully., 4/5 hours with the heater on late afternoon and night then overnight in the residual heat. We are usually out all the next morning so after lunch I fold them and put away.. Also another hack I read on here was to give everything a second spin and it's amazing how much more water you do get out of things. I did my sheets the other day hung them out and two hours later they were dry!! The line here is sun compromised for a lot of the day but wow this hack worked. They still dried in 24 hours hanging on the airing rack too as did the towels and jeans. Thank you for all these hacks some are really worth giving a try.
PS Justdon't roast a chicken whilst clothes are on the rack they tend to smell of it hahahahahaha

Reactions: Ricci
One of the things we love about Australia is how we can make the most out of the free fresh air and sunshine by using our solar-powered clothes dryer (aka our clothesline or hills hoist) to save money. Why spend on a dryer and pay for electricity when you can dry your clothes naturally?

However, come winter time we often don’t have that luxury anymore. Drying laundry outside when the weather is wet and cold is similar to watching paint dry on a wall - it is deadly slow and tedious, and unexpected rain can really put a damper (sorry, but you know we can't resist a good pun) on things.

No need to worry - dryer-related electricity bills (or the alternative - smelly socks and musty laundry) during winter is a thing of the past now that an Aussie homeowner has shared her simple money-saving hack.

Her post on the popular Facebook group, Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia, shows us how we can greatly shorten the drying time of our damp clothes. This one easy act that takes only five seconds to set up will leave your clothes dry and ready to fold in no time.

I-qBH6lkEtx4sXjN-u7ZaASy-J9UWGZOjFrRj1VI3vyFm7NJ4lJmdBpFJZc4rXIzwMWwiWzZCjwt0SAeze0AsqnfPsk5NODt264umLtfTeL3Daay8YBSj2KfcFWK4VC0xQd_cYFwYCGJdcfCk_P_j1E

Draping a larger piece of clothing on the opposite end of your clothes rack should trap the heat and dry your clothes quicker. Credit: Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia/Facebook

This Aussie lady notes that this is the perfect hack for homeowners who dry their laundry inside and in front of their fans and heaters. She advises placing your wet laundry on a clotheshorse and making sure that it is a safe distance from your heat source, whether it be your radiator, fan heater, or heat pump.

To maximise this setup, this homeowner suggests that you hang a larger piece of clothing on the far end of the clothes rack, which should be at the opposite side to your heat source. By doing so, she explains that you can effectively trap the hot air and keep it circulating around the wet laundry which dries your clothes quicker than simply allowing the hot air to ‘escape’ out the back. Think of the money and time you can save with just one simple act!

‘To help if you dry clothes near a heater, turn sideways and block the other end with a larger piece, adjusting as needed,’ the Aussie woman shares. ‘The heat doesn't blow through as quickly, so the clothes dry faster and you stay warm without guilt!’

Just like us, members of the Facebook group had their minds blown by this super ‘simple but effective’ hack, as described by one. ‘Have just bought a clothes horse to save on the dryer.’

‘This is mega inspiring,’ said another.

‘Instant dryer,’ posted a third. ‘Drying clothes, staying warm, and saving money and resources. Just like our grannies did!’

A few other tips were contributed as well.

‘Wrap a sheet around three sides and the top. Instant dryer,’ someone suggested. It was seconded by another user, who says, ‘I find putting something on top works well too.’

‘I used to put a sheet over the lot to keep the heat in and dry them quicker, especially if you can put them over a heating duct,’ someone else added.

Note: Don’t forget to place your clothes a metre away from your heat source to avoid accidents.

A few other tips for indoor drying that you may find useful:
  1. Hang your clothes during the evening. By doing so, your clothes will dry while you sleep and will be ready for folding during the morning.

2. Be mindful when hanging your laundry. Placement is everything, and something as simple as leaving space between your items can help avoid dampness and dry your clothes in a jiffy.

3. Use an iron and tea towels. This hack isn’t ideal for drying an entire load of wet laundry, but can definitely do the job if you need to dry an item or two in no time.

Simply place the item of clothing in between two tea towels, and lay them down on your ironing board. Continue by ironing the top tea towel layer from edge to edge. By doing so, the tea towels absorb moisture and protect your wet item of clothing from direct heat. Your item of clothing will not only be dry but also wrinkle-free, which is a welcome added bonus!
Will you be using any of these ideas to see you through the rest of winter? What other thrifty tips can you share to save on your electricity bills? Leave them for other members down below!
As a kid growing up in Scotland my Mum did this in the winter time. The only problem is that it blocks the heat flow from the source so while your clothes are drying you are still cold

Reactions: Thecla and terri