SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Aussie home baker claims Coles’ 40% Choc Chip Cookies DIY mix is just as good as the ready-made version!

A baking enthusiast was pleasantly surprised by her recent Coles purchase.

The woman claimed on Facebook that the supermarket chain’s bake-at-home mix of the cult favourite 40% choc chip cookies gave her the best-tasting cookies she’s ever made.

Her post came with a photo of freshly-made chocolate-loaded treats on a baking tray.

She explained that all it took was 16 minutes for her to achieve the perfect chocolate cookies.

The DIY mix from the Australian supermarket intrigued other sweet-toothed shoppers who had heard nothing but good things about the kit.

ZZr5ZWdee7IMElLJKY06S98kL9C3jPa5rYY68cqq1W5ox8X-eJR4rOSHhUZ2N75OP_Hh_YpGnmXFkXcrYYekmsx_idLYzaCV_mBykdzxXgO3aP9zKT2HpjEXitzAL-Xg-XxYIeFDs4H1ZArKv0A

Home bakers found a new favourite in Coles’ chocolate chip cookies baking mix. Credit: Facebook/DailyMail

Meanwhile, other home bakers supported her verdict by sharing their experiences with the product.

One woman said: 'I agree, I have made these before, and they are the best.’

The Coles 40% Choc Chip Cookies DIY mix was slow to gain popularity, probably owing to its confusing packaging.

Many had to do a double take before learning that the packs had pre-made cookies instead of a baking mix.

'I literally thought they were the already made ones and you put them in the oven as some hack to make them better,' one home baker commented.

Another shared: 'The packaging is almost Identical! I thought you just pulled the cookies out of the packet and put them on the tray like you had baked them. Then I saw where it says baking mix.’

Regardless, many fans claim that the cookie kits were just as good as the originals.

Some would rather have the ready-made box, though, as they are a tad cheaper (and also without the hassle!). The DIY cookie packs were sold for $4, while the store-bought treats can be bought at $3.50.

The 40% Choc Chip Cookies from Coles have plenty of fans from Australia and beyond.

Last month, a TikTok video of a man from New Zealand went viral after he was captured hoarding the Aussie favourites at a Melbourne Coles.

The clip shocked Aussies, but Kiwis were quick to explain in the comments.

‘NZ don’t have Coles cookies or Coles and some people in NZ crave for these. So if someone goes to Australia they would always ask to bring some back,’ one comment said.

The popularity of the supermarket chain’s chocolate cookies also led to other varieties, including a recently released gluten-free range.

The cookies come in various flavours, which include triple chocolate chip, chocolate chip, and chocolate chip dipped. Shoppers with gluten intolerances can purchase the chocolate chip variety in either 40g or 252g.

Speaking with news.com.au, a Coles spokesperson said: ‘We’re excited to bring the Coles Ultimate Gluten Free Cookie range, which is the top-selling Coles cookie, in a gluten-free version so our customers with dietary requirements can also enjoy the delicious and decadent chocolate flavours. We developed the range to taste as close to the original Coles Ultimate Chocolate Chip cookies as possible, using ingredients and gluten-free flour.’

The sweet treats are all made in Australia with 40% chocolate chips and desiccated coconut.

What do you reckon, members? Do you rate Coles Cookies, or do you prefer a different brand? Personally, we think nothing can beat homemade, so if you have the time and like to bake, check out the video recipe below:

We personally love the Aldi chocolate chop cookies! They are Divine!!! Our whole family love them too.

Attachments

• 20220808_151343.jpg
    20220808_151343.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Ricci
My 19 year old son loves the coles choc chip cookies . We called him the cookie monster as the cookies quickly disappeared. I wouldn't worry about buying the mix what's the point. You get the same ammount of cookies in the ready made ones

Reactions: johno cpfc