Aussie frustrated over common constant back-and-forths at restaurants–Find out why!

For many of us, going out for dinner is a chance to relax, maybe catch up with family or friends.

But there are some who prepare to face anxiety-inducing conversations each time they enter a restaurant, such as those living with allergies.

An Australian woman was faced with the reality of living with coeliac disease. Diagnosed with the disease in 2021, she had been feeling nauseous, vomiting after every meal, and suffering from migraines and fatigue for months. After endless tests, she received the diagnosis and the anxiety that came with it.

Dining at restaurants causes anxiety in some people living with allergies.

Her unease grew as she sat down for her first meal while travelling in Dundee, Scotland.

‘Would there be something I could have on the menu? Would there be cross-contamination that would end up with me feeling like I had food poisoning?’ She asked.

But, as soon as she sat down, the waitress rushed over and asked if there were any allergies at the table. To her surprise, the waitress was aware of coeliac disease and asked about cross-contamination.

SDC Images Rectangle (2).png
A waitress in Dundee, Scotland immediately asked if there were any allergies at the table and was aware of coeliac disease. Image source: Drazen Zigic on Freepik.

She was offered a dish that suited her needs, and this became the theme of her trip–the staff of each restaurant she visited asked her about her allergies and even went as far as pointing her in the direction of a fish and chip shop that had gluten-free food.

It was then she realised that the UK had introduced Natasha’s Law in October 2021, which required establishments to provide a full list of ingredients for all food produced and packed for sale in the same premises. This law was in response to the death of Natasha Ednan-Laperouse in 2016, a teenager who died from an allergic reaction to a prepackaged baguette that didn’t have an allergen warning.

This realisation made the Aussie traveller angry and frustrated and led her to question why every meal felt like an anxiety-inducing experience in Sydney and every meal in the UK was an enjoyable one.

Alexx Stuart, the founder of Low Tox Life, said some Australian businesses are better at handling dietary restrictions than others.

She said, ‘Hospitality groups such as Merivale, based in Sydney, follow strict protocols in terms of staff training and kitchens taking allergies very seriously.’

She added: ‘It’s not like that everywhere, however, and partly because there lacks a national standard on how food and drink service is marked on menus, and how food safety is trained, i.e., very little on allergens is policed and it’s still mostly up to the person who has the allergy to ask questions and seek assurances from operators.’

Ms Stuart said customers should take the initiative to talk to wait staff, and if they don’t have the answer, to ask to speak to the chef personally.

Allergies are becoming more and more prevalent. Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia reported that one in 10 babies have allergies, while one in 20 teenagers and one in 50 adults have food allergies.

It’s critical to stay vigilant when it comes to allergies, here are some signs and symptoms of Anaphylaxis (severe allergic reaction) you have to watch out for:

7dOFFVST4PpXuEE9vjjkMQfk9xKXt8aggZoFPvRpK4I6u9kIBaz1W8GzP6DHSqtbHNzfPrRXBdidg6kcuVOvOv6x122mQUH3y_-VRjv9TIEwNtSXjp3eOP5A8dWoryCtPx7B-ez_nrGd_6HIXqWh10Q

You may also watch the video below for a more in-depth discussion of the signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction:

Key Takeaways
  • An Australian woman diagnosed with coeliac disease has shared her frustration at eating out in Australia compared to her experience in Scotland.
  • The woman had more positive dining experiences in Scotland, where staff had a better understanding of coeliac disease, asked about possible allergies and were able to offer suitable meal options.
  • New laws introduced in the UK in 2021, known as Natasha's Law, require food produced and packed on the same premises to provide a full list of ingredients, contributing to a more inclusive and safe dining experience for those with allergies.
  • Australia's lack of similar standards and legislation leads to frustration and anxiety-inducing experiences for people with food intolerances or allergies when eating out.
For more information and advice on allergies, you may call Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia’s hotline at 1300 728 000 or in cases of emergency, immediately call 000.

If you have any stories to share about allergies, and how they are treated by restaurants in Australia, please let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
For many of us, going out for dinner is a chance to relax, maybe catch up with family or friends.

But there are some who prepare to face anxiety-inducing conversations each time they enter a restaurant, such as those living with allergies.

An Australian woman was faced with the reality of living with coeliac disease. Diagnosed with the disease in 2021, she had been feeling nauseous, vomiting after every meal, and suffering from migraines and fatigue for months. After endless tests, she received the diagnosis and the anxiety that came with it.

Her unease grew as she sat down for her first meal while travelling in Dundee, Scotland.

‘Would there be something I could have on the menu? Would there be cross-contamination that would end up with me feeling like I had food poisoning?’ She asked.

But, as soon as she sat down, the waitress rushed over and asked if there were any allergies at the table. To her surprise, the waitress was aware of coeliac disease and asked about cross-contamination.

View attachment 28159
A waitress in Dundee, Scotland immediately asked if there were any allergies at the table and was aware of coeliac disease. Image source: Drazen Zigic on Freepik.

She was offered a dish that suited her needs, and this became the theme of her trip–the staff of each restaurant she visited asked her about her allergies and even went as far as pointing her in the direction of a fish and chip shop that had gluten-free food.

It was then she realised that the UK had introduced Natasha’s Law in October 2021, which required establishments to provide a full list of ingredients for all food produced and packed for sale in the same premises. This law was in response to the death of Natasha Ednan-Laperouse in 2016, a teenager who died from an allergic reaction to a prepackaged baguette that didn’t have an allergen warning.

This realisation made the Aussie traveller angry and frustrated and led her to question why every meal felt like an anxiety-inducing experience in Sydney and every meal in the UK was an enjoyable one.

Alexx Stuart, the founder of Low Tox Life, said some Australian businesses are better at handling dietary restrictions than others.

She said, ‘Hospitality groups such as Merivale, based in Sydney, follow strict protocols in terms of staff training and kitchens taking allergies very seriously.’

She added: ‘It’s not like that everywhere, however, and partly because there lacks a national standard on how food and drink service is marked on menus, and how food safety is trained, i.e., very little on allergens is policed and it’s still mostly up to the person who has the allergy to ask questions and seek assurances from operators.’

Ms Stuart said customers should take the initiative to talk to wait staff, and if they don’t have the answer, to ask to speak to the chef personally.

Allergies are becoming more and more prevalent. Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia reported that one in 10 babies have allergies, while one in 20 teenagers and one in 50 adults have food allergies.

It’s critical to stay vigilant when it comes to allergies, here are some signs and symptoms of Anaphylaxis (severe allergic reaction) you have to watch out for:

7dOFFVST4PpXuEE9vjjkMQfk9xKXt8aggZoFPvRpK4I6u9kIBaz1W8GzP6DHSqtbHNzfPrRXBdidg6kcuVOvOv6x122mQUH3y_-VRjv9TIEwNtSXjp3eOP5A8dWoryCtPx7B-ez_nrGd_6HIXqWh10Q

You may also watch the video below for a more in-depth discussion of the signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction:

Key Takeaways

• An Australian woman diagnosed with coeliac disease has shared her frustration at eating out in Australia compared to her experience in Scotland.
  • The woman had more positive dining experiences in Scotland, where staff had a better understanding of coeliac disease, asked about possible allergies and were able to offer suitable meal options.
  • New laws introduced in the UK in 2021, known as Natasha's Law, require food produced and packed on the same premises to provide a full list of ingredients, contributing to a more inclusive and safe dining experience for those with allergies.
  • Australia's lack of similar standards and legislation leads to frustration and anxiety-inducing experiences for people with food intolerances or allergies when eating out.
For more information and advice on allergies, you may call Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia’s hotline at 1300 728 000 or in cases of emergency, immediately call 000.

If you have any stories to share about allergies, and how they are treated by restaurants in Australia, please let us know in the comments below.

It’s v v frustrating. I hardly ever eat out now. It’s such a hassle. I have 3 intolerances and it’s a pain as wait staff have to keep checking with the chef. There’s usually v little choice in the end. When I was in Hosp it wasn’t fun either. Most GF bread and math contains soy or dairy so saying Gluten free doesn’t help when it still has my other nasties. I got a lovely salad one day. Nicely topped with cheese. Seriously. 😩
My our intolerances.

View attachment 28159

Key Takeaways

Well when I travelled to Japan with a v small group it was amazing. The tour organisers let every Ryokan and hotel where we stayed and restaurants we visited know my intolerances and they were all amazing. I had no reactions and the food was fantastic just as if it was prepared as usual. And we visited some small villages as well. I was blow away by the attention to detail when preparing my food. ❤️👏

Reactions: Lolali

View attachment 28159

Key Takeaways

Won't happen here unless there is money in it for the government!. We are fast becoming the unlucky country.

Reactions: SandyM
My daughter suffers From coeliac disease and the lack of understanding in Australian food outlets is woeful. Last Friday we went to lunch at Ricketts Point in Victoria where the menu had gluten free options but when questioned they fried the French fries in the same oil as normal chips which is so awful. It would have made my daughter very I’ll for days. They also served gluten free cakes using the same tongs for all cakes. They were too busy to hear our complaints. Now we have referr them to the local council food officer for these transgressions. Yes people, it really is serious.

Can we please get it right. Coeliac Disease is not an allergy. It is an autoimmune disease. By referring to it as an allergy or an intolerance you are downgrading the seriousness of this disease, and believe me, I am 77 years old and have lived with it all my life even though it took a long time to be diagnosed. Once it was recognised, and I had a wonderful GP, the last 20 years of my life have been wonderful. Hospitalised several times in my youth for "food poisoining", and really, that is what it is. Eternal vigilance is the catch cry of those of us who live with this disease and one little crumb exposes us to 46 different cancers we can die of, and among the top of pops is bowel cancer. So, when I come into your food premise, I am dicing with cancer. Good game of roulette. Please bear it in mind and take it as seriously as I do.

Reactions: Lynjw and ElleJay
Thankfully not an allergy, but I have fructose intolerance and I am always very stressed eating out. My worst foods are onion and garlic and they are seriously in EVERYTHING! It is not well understood and people often think you are just being fussy, but eating the wrong food can result in a reaction very similar to food poisoning. You can feel very sick for up to two days. I am basically limited to steak or fish when I am eating out, with no sauces or gravy!

• Sad
Reactions: Lynjw
It’s v v frustrating. I hardly ever eat out now. It’s such a hassle. I have 3 intolerances and it’s a pain as wait staff have to keep checking with the chef. There’s usually v little choice in the end. When I was in Hosp it wasn’t fun either. Most GF bread and math contains soy or dairy so saying Gluten free doesn’t help when it still has my other nasties. I got a lovely salad one day. Nicely topped with cheese. Seriously. 😩
My our intolerances.
Won't happen here unless there is money in it for the government!. We are fast becoming the unlucky country.
Totally agree

My brother is a chef in the UK and mentioned several years ago that there were 19 different allergies and intolerances he has to be aware of when preparing his menu!

• Wow
Reactions: Lynjw
Thankfully not an allergy, but I have fructose intolerance and I am always very stressed eating out. My worst foods are onion and garlic and they are seriously in EVERYTHING! It is not well understood and people often think you are just being fussy, but eating the wrong food can result in a reaction very similar to food poisoning. You can feel very sick for up to two days. I am basically limited to steak or fish when I am eating out, with no sauces or gravy!

I understand your problem. I have an allergy to tomato which is in so many dishes served by restaurants, some hidden in the dishes. Have had many trips to hospital after ingesting just a tiny amount due to cross contamination. Am also gluten sensitive, so dining causes me anxiety. Good luck.

Reactions: ElleJay