Aussie family left in $375k debt over Christmas after bank error

Disclaimer: Names with an asterisk (*) have been changed for privacy purposes.

Preparing for the Christmas season will always bring a flurry of financial activity – from buying presents, and booking holiday trips, to planning feasts. And although it can be a lot to take in, the festive cheer more than makes up for the hassle.

But for one Queensland family, what was supposed to be a joyous holiday turned into an incredibly stressful time after a banking blunder resulted in them being left nearly $375,000 in debt and unable to access their funds over the Christmas period.

Aaron*, a dad-of-one from Queensland, was angry and frustrated after discovering a discrepancy in his NAB account, which had more than $108,000 of his own money sitting in it.

Because of the bank error, Aaron’s* account was overdrawn, and he couldn’t get a single cent out during the time that his funds were inaccessible.

bank1.jpg
The family couldn’t enjoy their Christmas break. Credit: Ono Kosuki

Aaron* works as the owner of his own business, so he needed to scrounge together enough money to pay his 12 employees.

To make matters worse, the bank was unreachable because of the multiple public holidays, which impacted their ability to assign Aaron* a case officer.

He said: ‘With all the public holidays, these two weeks have been the highest amount this year for wages; it’s a 30 to 40 per cent increase in a week.’

To patch up the problem, he was forced to use all his savings just to pay for his staff’s wages. The dad took out huge business loans and sold some of his cryptocurrency assets worth $8,000.

Then, he borrowed money from his own 8-year-old daughter’s bank account which had $4,000. The money was saved from her Christmas money, payments Aaron* had initially put in, and cash from collecting recyclable cans.

bank2.jpg
The dad had to borrow money from his daughter’s account. Credit: Dovis/Pexels

However, this left him with one more problem: he had another pay run due the next week and had no more funds to give.

Luckily, once he explained the situation to his workers, they offered to go a week without pay and to just give them their salary when he can. But Aaron* refused and tried to find another way to pay his staff what they were owed.

To ensure he had enough funds the following week, Aaron* ‘raced’ to change his bank details so his clients can deposit invoices into the new account.

This raised suspicions and many questioned him if his account had been hacked, and Aaron* had to explain how his previous account was overdrawn.

‘I’ve copped enough embarrassment,’ shared Aaron*. He explained how he had to tell his clients and how they thought he was attempting to scam them of their money.

‘They’re ringing to ask why we are changing our bank account on New Year’s Eve,’ he added.

Aaron* also fell behind on repayments for a Tesla car he bought for his partner, and subsequently was unable to pick it up on time.

bank3.jpg
His clients thought he was scamming them. Credit: Monstera/Pexels

When Aaron* raised the issue to NAB, they initially thought it was because he recently made a big purchase.

‘He (the NAB officer) was talking about my settlement, and I said “I don’t have one”. My house settled two-and-a-half years ago, I don’t have anything to settle,’ Aaron* told reporters. NAB then thought it was a security breach, but once they looked at his bank statement, they didn’t find any suspicious activity.

After countless phone calls, a NAB employee finally told him that the issue was due to a human error where ‘a hold for an amount of $374,962 was incorrectly placed’ on his account. After that, NAB was able to lift the hold.

A spokesperson for NAB said that this was a one-off mistake and that it had not happened to anyone else ‘as far as they know’.

‘This issue was caused by a human error and the account has now been returned to normal. We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused,’ they said. They added that they are currently working with Aaron* to fix losses as a result of the issue.
Key Takeaways

• A Queensland dad was left $375,000 in debt and unable to access his funds due to a bank error.
  • He had to liquidate his cryptocurrency assets, take out business loans and even borrow his eight-year-old daughter's money to pay his staff wages.
  • NAB sought to make things right as quickly as possible and is now compensating the dad for his losses.
If you have any tips to share about how to remain vigilant when it comes to banking errors and spotting potential financial scams, please let us know in the comments below. Stay vigilant!

Sponsored
What he must have gone through over the Christmas period must have been an absolute nightmare. No one wants to cope with that kind of embarrassment. Obviously a very capable businessman having to even TELL his employees his situation must have been SO confronting poor man. Privacy is so important to us all.
Banks should be above reproach & you can bet on it, they won't give that gentleman ALL he 's privy to. Money speaks all languages & that gentleman is worth "just more than an apology." Gone are the days when an apology was enough. I would have been a wreck. My holiday ruined that I had been looking towards all year. To have the next week of wages staring me ahead. ohhh, even a positive thinker would be concerned. I would NOT give the culprit @ the Bank a 2nd chance. You are paid to do your job. The repercussions that incident caused, the searching & red faces, ugh!!!

Preparing for the Christmas season will always bring a flurry of financial activity – from buying presents, and booking holiday trips, to planning feasts. And although it can be a lot to take in, the festive cheer more than makes up for the hassle.

But for one Queensland family, what was supposed to be a joyous holiday turned into an incredibly stressful time after a banking blunder resulted in them being left nearly $375,000 in debt and unable to access their funds over the Christmas period.

Aaron*, a dad-of-one from Queensland, was angry and frustrated after discovering a discrepancy in his NAB account, which had more than $108,000 of his own money sitting in it.

Because of the bank error, Aaron’s* account was overdrawn, and he couldn’t get a single cent out during the time that his funds were inaccessible.

View attachment 11205

Aaron* works as the owner of his own business, so he needed to scrounge together enough money to pay his 12 employees.

To make matters worse, the bank was unreachable because of the multiple public holidays, which impacted their ability to assign Aaron* a case officer.

He said: ‘With all the public holidays, these two weeks have been the highest amount this year for wages; it’s a 30 to 40 per cent increase in a week.’

To patch up the problem, he was forced to use all his savings just to pay for his staff’s wages. The dad took out huge business loans and sold some of his cryptocurrency assets worth $8,000.

Then, he borrowed money from his own 8-year-old daughter’s bank account which had $4,000. The money was saved from her Christmas money, payments Aaron* had initially put in, and cash from collecting recyclable cans.

View attachment 11206

However, this left him with one more problem: he had another pay run due the next week and had no more funds to give.

Luckily, once he explained the situation to his workers, they offered to go a week without pay and to just give them their salary when he can. But Aaron* refused and tried to find another way to pay his staff what they were owed.

To ensure he had enough funds the following week, Aaron* ‘raced’ to change his bank details so his clients can deposit invoices into the new account.

This raised suspicions and many questioned him if his account had been hacked, and Aaron* had to explain how his previous account was overdrawn.

‘I’ve copped enough embarrassment,’ shared Aaron*. He explained how he had to tell his clients and how they thought he was attempting to scam them of their money.

‘They’re ringing to ask why we are changing our bank account on New Year’s Eve,’ he added.

Aaron* also fell behind on repayments for a Tesla car he bought for his partner, and subsequently was unable to pick it up on time.

View attachment 11207

When Aaron* raised the issue to NAB, they initially thought it was because he recently made a big purchase.

‘He (the NAB officer) was talking about my settlement, and I said “I don’t have one”. My house settled two-and-a-half years ago, I don’t have anything to settle,’ Aaron* told reporters. NAB then thought it was a security breach, but once they looked at his bank statement, they didn’t find any suspicious activity.

After countless phone calls, a NAB employee finally told him that the issue was due to a human error where ‘a hold for an amount of $374,962 was incorrectly placed’ on his account. After that, NAB was able to lift the hold.

A spokesperson for NAB said that this was a one-off mistake and that it had not happened to anyone else ‘as far as they know’.

‘This issue was caused by a human error and the account has now been returned to normal. We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused,’ they said. They added that they are currently working with Aaron* to fix losses as a result of the issue.
Key Takeaways

• A Queensland dad was left $375,000 in debt and unable to access his funds due to a bank error.
  • He had to liquidate his cryptocurrency assets, take out business loans and even borrow his eight-year-old daughter's money to pay his staff wages.
  • NAB sought to make things right as quickly as possible and is now compensating the dad for his losses.
If you have any tips to share about how to remain vigilant when it comes to banking errors and spotting potential financial scams, please let us know in the comments below. Stay vigilant!
This poor man! He obviously has a heart of gold himself after still paying his employees as he knew the hardship he was going through at the time and didn’t want that for them. If there are any issues resulting from this human error NAB should step in and help. Not good enough. I feel bad for his daughter as well.

View attachment 11205

View attachment 11206

View attachment 11207

Key Takeaways

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE 4 MAJOR BANKS AND ANY OF THE SUBSIDERIES.... THEY really dont care about real people just the criminal kind where they can make more profit laundering funds

this is not a one-off. i made a first time payment to my granddaughter and because they thought it"suspicious" place a hold of my account leaving me unable to draw funds or to meet my auto transfer obligations. i did not realise that the hold was on the account until after 5 days when i received an email from the gas supplier saying that insufficient funds were available to pay ... wait for it ... $10.00. i contacted NAB and was on hold for over 3 hours - because i could not access my online account i was unable to tell them what payments had been made and when and they "could not help me as i could be anyone phoning in". I had to phone back several times over the day to finally get someone to believe it was me and unlock my account. this happened approximately 6 - 9 months ago.

I HAD A CASE WITH THE ANZ A SCAMMER DEPOSITED $5,000,00 IN MY ACCOUNT INSTEAD OF $500.00 SO I SAW THIS AND TOLD THEM THEY ASKED ME TO REFUND $4500.00 WHICH ui DID i NO LONGER DONE THIS AND THE $5,000.00 DEPOSIT DISSAPERD FROM MY ACCOUNT I RANG THE BANK AND ASKED THEMHOW CPOULD THE $5,000.00 JUST DISAPPEAR FROM MY ACCOUNT EVEN THOUGH IT WAS SHOWING ONM MY STATEMENT THEY SAID IT HAD NOT BEEN PROCDESSED INTO MY ACCOUNT IT IS, HOW COME IT APPEARED FROM MY ACCOUNT STATEMENT THEY ACTED QUICKLY AND REVERESED THE $4,500.00 BACK INTO MY ACCOUMNT . BUT i CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW THERE IS $5,000.00 SHOWING ON MY STATEMENT BUT IT WAS NOT REALY THERE EVEN THOUGH i HAVE IT IN BLACK AND WHITE AS BEING IN MY ACCOUNT TOTAL LOSS TO ME WAS $500.00 CAN'T WORK IT OUT.

View attachment 11205

View attachment 11206

View attachment 11207

Key Takeaways

I can top that one. Some decades ago the Advance Bank told me I was $1,000,000 overdrawn. When they realised they had made a mistake they said they would correct. The next day another equal amount was debited to my account. That was resolved but back in the day there were government transaction taxes such as FID. It took months to resolve that issue as government don’t like giving money back.

this is not a one-off. i made a first time payment to my granddaughter and because they thought it"suspicious" place a hold of my account leaving me unable to draw funds or to meet my auto transfer obligations. i did not realise that the hold was on the account until after 5 days when i received an email from the gas supplier saying that insufficient funds were available to pay ... wait for it ... $10.00. i contacted NAB and was on hold for over 3 hours - because i could not access my online account i was unable to tell them what payments had been made and when and they "could not help me as i could be anyone phoning in". I had to phone back several times over the day to finally get someone to believe it was me and unlock my account. this happened approximately 6 - 9 months ago.
I've said this before I don't understand why the bank doesn't contact the customer on the day of suspicious transfers my bank does, why leave it 5 days and even then it wasn't the bank who called her it was her who called the bank

I can recommend Suncorp. I get a call when I pay a large bill every year and I've been transferring a good bit recently due to a change in our circumstances. I got the expected call about the unusual activity within hours.

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE 4 MAJOR BANKS AND ANY OF THE SUBSIDERIES.... THEY really dont care about real people just the criminal kind where they can make more profit laundering funds
Steady…Steady. You have right to hold and Express an opinion. Take care to stay away from instantiated statements which may verge on libel.

Reactions: Jill57
this guy ripped his kids "piggy bank" for 4k BUT nothing was mentioned about asking his PARTNER for a helping hand?

Sounds really like there is going to be a claim for some compensation

Reactions: Jen77au
this guy ripped his kids "piggy bank" for 4k BUT nothing was mentioned about asking his PARTNER for a helping hand?

Sounds really like there is going to be a claim for some compensation
And bought them a brand new Tesla!!

Reactions: ShannyN
please tell WHERE to bank as pensions MUST be paid into a bank