Aussie entrepreneur slams ALDI’s $50 dupe of product, says store ‘blatantly copied’ design

When passion and innovation meet the marketplace, it's a beautiful thing.

Entrepreneurs pour their hearts and souls into creating products they believe in and enhance people's lives.

However, one success story took an unexpected turn when a retail giant came into the picture with a strikingly similar product.

Julia Sakr is a Sydney-based entrepreneur whose love for her dog Barney led her to create a range of dog beds back in 2019.

Her mission was simple yet profound: to design comfortable pet beds that are supportive of canine joints and muscles.

Barney Bed, named affectionately after her beloved canine companion, has since then been a hit across Australia and beyond.

It quickly became a sensation, with its stylish design and premium quality capturing the hearts of dog owners, including A-list celebrities like Reese Witherspoon, Khloe Kardashian, and Scott Disick.

compressed-barney bed.jpeg
Barney Bed is Julia’s love letter to her beloved dog, and her commitment to make high-quality pet beds. Image Credit: Barney Bed

With prices starting at $255, these beds represented an investment in quality and sustainability, a luxury pet owners were willing to pay for.

However, Julia’s dream took a ‘heartbreaking’ hit when she discovered a new range of dog beds at ALDI, priced at a mere $49.99, that bore an uncanny resemblance to her Barney Beds.

For Julia, the similarities were hard to ignore: the shape, the plush appearance, the machine-washable covers.

It was a classic David versus Goliath scenario, with the small business owner facing off against a multinational corporation.

In a video posted on social media, Julia expressed her dismay, pointing out the differences between her product and ALDI's version.

‘It is super easy for your dog to latch on, there is no protective covering on the foam either,’ she said.

‘This means pee and saliva can easily leak through and the fabric is also thin and cheap.’

In creating Barney Bed, Julia said she wanted to address the common issues pet owners raised through features such as the 'chin rest' and memory foam that cater to the comfort and health of dogs.

She also mentioned her beds are designed to last, unlike its supermarket copy.

‘(The beds) are made with luxurious products and memory foam, and they don’t sag or flatten over time,’ she shared.

The entrepreneur's frustration is palpable as she acknowledges that while not everyone can afford a Barney Bed, it's the blatant copying of her design by ALDI that stings the most.

She believes in fair competition and the right of consumers to choose, but when a design that she claims to be the first of its kind in the world is replicated, it feels like a blow to her originality and hard work.

As of writing, ALDI has yet to respond to Julia’s statements.

Julia's story is a testament to the challenges small businesses face in a world where big players can easily overshadow them.

Yet, it's also a reminder of the value of authenticity and the importance of supporting local entrepreneurs who bring innovation and care to their products.
Key Takeaways

• Julia Sakr, founder of Barney Bed, is 'heartbroken' over an ALDI product similar to her dog beds.
  • Barney Bed is a stylish and supportive bed for dogs' joints and muscles with famous clientele.
  • Julia pointed out the differences in quality between her product and the cheaper ALDI version in a video.
  • She accused ALDI of copying the design of her Barney Bed, a brand with a reputation for durability.
What advice would you give Julia and other small business owners in similar situations? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
The same thing happened to me. I made an unique cave dog bed, sold a lot only to find 2 years later they were for sale at a fraction of the price in stores. Unable to compete, I sold the unique pattern and sewing instructions to people instead and donated the proceeds to a dog rescue and quit the business

Two different markets, I don't see the problem.
The people buying the ALDI product would never be looking to pay $255 for a dog bed.
You get what you pay for. It is impossible in Australia to manufacture and sell anything in competition with cheap overseas imports.
All you can do is keep making a quality product and the people who can afford it will buy it.A quality product will outlast half a dozen or more cheaper ones but unfortunately many people just do not have the funds to pay that much in one go.
Now, I love my dogs but $255 plus each for a bed is a step too far I reckon. :(

What happened to the Doghouse outside? Dogs sleeping inside is wrong as far as I am concerned., especially big dogs. The little ones inside are ok with a bed for them.

What happened to the Doghouse outside? Dogs sleeping inside is wrong as far as I am concerned., especially big dogs. The little ones inside are ok with a bed for them.
My dog sleeps inside, he’s family. I don’t understand people having a dog and it living outside. There doesn’t seem a point to it. Mine at the moment is sprawled out asleep on the couch and I wouldn’t have it any other way - and he‘s a Lab not a small dog

My dog sleeps inside, he’s family. I don’t understand people having a dog and it living outside. There doesn’t seem a point to it. Mine at the moment is sprawled out asleep on the couch and I wouldn’t have it any other way - and he‘s a Lab not a small dog

Reactions: PeterV1802
Can one copyright a bed? That would create problems!

If one looks at the design of a ship, is that design copyright of the designer?The paperwork design might be but we have been building ships and and beds for thousands of years. Copyright a wheel, anyone?

Reactions: Ricci and Frida1944
the knock off will last for as long as the store warranty cover does. Cheap knock offs just don't last, so the savings are a false economy. You always buy the best possible quality you can afford. Knock off are not made to a quality, just a price.

Reactions: Ricci
$255 is a bit extreme for a dog bed.
Sometimes you pay for the bragging rights to a name rather than the product.
This woman has to come into the real world - there are knock-off products everywhere you look.
As far as Aldi is concerned I have always found the quality of their products pretty good, and am sure their dog bed is just as good, if not superior to, any other on the market.

With most of us having a hard time these days to afford even the basics. why would you spend so much on your dog? Don't get me wrong I love both my dogs but having them live inside is a no no for me. They are both large & well behaved but are dangerous for someone with limited mobility, I also have a very keen sense of smell & it has rained a lot here in Queensland & i can't stand the smell of wet dog.

l thought if you patent something no-one could copy it! . l have a eight month old German Shepherd and she sleeps in the foyer as she chews everything up in the house.She took her bed outside that she had chewed a piece out of so my son brought in next minute she took it out again and hide it under a tree.She still has it and she is not getting a new one till she stops chewing

Did she register her design and get an authorized patent for it. If not then anyone can make one similar, as long as there is at least one difference and she will not legally be able to stop this happening or fight against it.

l thought if you patent something no-one could copy it! . l have a eight month old German Shepherd and she sleeps in the foyer as she chews everything up in the house.She took her bed outside that she had chewed a piece out of so my son brought in next minute she took it out again and hide it under a tree.She still has it and she is not getting a new one till she stops chewing
Unfortunately patents are very expensive and just as easily broken. Only a slight alteration will void a patent.
Asian companies take no notice of patents and it is too expensive to take it to court to fight.

As I said before. A COPY of an item (Product) can be made as long as there is at least one difference in the design. As in this case "the material is different" buy if the size and shape is the same then the Australian Product Regulation (Patent) is broken and the inventor has a right to claim action as such.