Aussie drivers might have to start paying fees to access this beach soon—find out why!

Australia's pristine beaches are a national treasure, beloved by locals and visitors alike.

However, in recent years some popular coastal spots have faced serious problems due to increasing visitor numbers and disrespectful behaviour.

Preston Beach near Perth has always been a magnet for beachgoers looking to enjoy the sun, surf, and sand with their four-wheel drives (4WDs) in tow.

The beach has seen a huge spike in visitors, with numbers growing so large that the small local council can no longer manage the impact.

104300-56.jpg
Preston Beach has recently seen a huge spike in visitors. Image source: Shire of Waroona.

According to Shire President Mike Walmsley, last summer saw widespread vandalism of public toilets, leaving them clogged or blocked.

Furthermore, rubbish was left behind, while some parked illegally on footpaths instead of designated areas.

'If I could describe to you the state of some of public toilets…it is mind boggling why people would go to such an effort to do what they do,' Walmsley said.

'The last thing we want to see is shut the beach altogether to 4WDs. The bottom line is our ratepayers are subsidising the cost of our visitors and we need to look at recovering the cost.'

The clean-up cost taxpayers over $6000 in just a few days.

The council is now contemplating how to balance the need for access and the preservation of this beautiful setting.

A beach-visitor management strategy is in the works, potentially introducing a fee for visitors, though it's suggested that local ratepayers would be exempt.

This isn't an isolated issue.

Nationwide, concerns about erosion, wildlife disturbance, and pollution caused by 4WD activities are prompting councils to reassess beach access conditions.

For example, it was previously reported that the Shire of Gingin council's proposal to prohibit 4WDs on Lancelin sand sparked a debate within the community about tourism versus environmental stewardship.

These measures have sparked a conversation amongst Australians regarding the balance between enjoying natural wonders and conserving them for future generations.

The proposed fees, if implemented, could fund the necessary clean-ups and maintenance, allowing beaches to remain open and enjoyable while also preserving the land.

Further south, the fragile dune system at Goolwa Beach was badly damaged by revellers celebrating the Christmas holidays in 2022.

Mayor Keith Parks claimed that it could take years for the popular beach to recover.

'The tracks made over the dunes by the 4WDs have opened up holes due to the high energy winds that this coastal area produces,' he said.

'It will still take many years to recover as the native vegetation is slow-growing.'
Key Takeaways
  • Preston Beach in Western Australia may soon introduce a permit system and fees for 4WD vehicles due to increased littering, vandalism, and misuse of facilities.
  • The spike in destructive visitor behaviour has resulted in substantial cleanup costs for local councils, including a $6,000 bill for repairing clogged public toilets.
  • Officials are considering management strategies to recover costs from visitors, while exempting local ratepayers from the beach access charges.
  • This issue reflected a broader challenge faced by Australian beaches, where increased 4WD activity raises concerns for environmental damage and community costs.
Members, what are your thoughts about permit systems and beach access fees? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Of another issue SDC, I will warn you one last time,
.... that if you do not remove my phone number from my title for response to posts, then I will be making a formal complaint to the Office of the Cyber Security Minister!

There are some beaches that are part of a National Park in NSW, that one pays to park there. Pay and show. I don`t see a problem with that. Considering the way some people do just leave their rubbish behind and toilet blocks look like an animal has gone rampart inside.

Reactions: IAN3005 and Ezzy
Of another issue SDC, I will warn you one last time,
.... that if you do not remove my phone number from my title for response to posts, then I will be making a formal complaint to the Office of the Cyber Security Minister!
Have you informed SDC what name you wish to go under? I am sure you will find a section to do this instead of advertising your issue here. Possibly write to SDC itself under the main contact heading?

I had occassion to use a toilet in a country town a few years ago & after washing my hands & drying them with a paper towel l was disgusted to see that someone had placed a baby's disposable nappy with excreta in it on top of the waste paper bin. Animals!!!

A lot of councils give residents a parking sticker as they already pay towards upkeep through their rates. Then tourists pay for parking which is then used for beach maintenance. Vandalism is a problem everywhere and you can bet it’s not done by adults but by young brats who would be let go by magistrates with a slap over the wrist. We will all rue the day they decided to give teens all rights with no responsibilities.

There are some beaches that are part of a National Park in NSW, that one pays to park there. Pay and show. I don`t see a problem with that. Considering the way some people do just leave their rubbish behind and toilet blocks look like an animal has gone rampart inside.
Some people are pigs.... look at the way the food courts are left in shopping centres..Oink, oink, oink

Have you informed SDC what name you wish to go under? I am sure you will find a section to do this instead of advertising your issue here. Possibly write to SDC itself under the main contact heading?
I remember this phone no a vindictive ex put his phone no up here ages ago and told us all to ring it.can anyone else remember I think s.rose and I were talking about ringing it. I can’t rememer her the name of the ex though.🤔