Aussie driver's defiant note and gold coins challenge cashless parking meters

In a world where technology is rapidly advancing, it's no surprise that even the most mundane aspects of our daily lives, like parking our cars, are getting a digital makeover.

But what happens when these changes don't align with everyone's lifestyle or abilities?

One Aussie driver has sparked a conversation about this issue with a clever and defiant response to the introduction of cashless parking meters.

The driver, who has become a folk hero online, left a note that supporters hailed as 'genius' in their car window. Alongside two gold coins, the message read:

'The introduction of a cashless payment system does not suit my lifestyle. I am willing to pay with these coins any day of the week. Please do not issue a fine against this vehicle. Yours sincerely, Owner of this vehicle.'

This rebellion resonated with many, especially those marginalised by the relentless march towards a cashless society.

1723776117810.png
Australian driver protests cashless parking meters with a note and two gold coins in their window. Credit: Reddit

The note, shared on social media, received a wave of support from commenters who pointed out the challenges the elderly face when adapting to new technologies.

‘My father may have a smartphone... but like, does he have any idea how to work it other than as a phone... this is unacceptable and discrimination against the older generation!’ one user empathised.

‘I've watched so many elderly people struggle with this because they can't download the app. It's disgraceful,’ another user said.

‘Yes, I only identify as a cash-paying citizen,’ a third added.

The conversation also highlighted the hidden costs of cashless transactions, which can be a nasty surprise for the unwary.

'I recently used my debit card for a $ 3-meter charge, and lo and behold, I got a .32 cent additional charge for doing so… you try and find that on the fine print on the meter...' a frustrated user shared.

‘Our government needs to amend laws to stop banks controlling these transactions.‘ another chimed in.

‘Governments should always ensure their constituents have the right to pay cash in our society. The fees imposed by the banks are all added into prices we are paying.’

‘Tired of banks running the economy, need to open a government bank and encourage the use of cash as a payment again.’

The debate around cash versus cashless payments is not new, but it has intensified as more services move online or become app-based.

Some argue that this shift is a form of discrimination against those who prefer cash or are not tech-savvy.

Others see it as an inevitable step towards efficiency and modernisation.

While a minority defended the move to cashless systems, suggesting that businesses have the right to choose their method of payment.

‘What people don't get is the method of payment, which is determined by the person selling the service or goods. If they don't want cash, then that's their choice.’ one said.

‘As a potential customer, you have the choice of using the service and paying in the way set out, or you cannot use the service and go elsewhere.’

‘One thing is certain, businesses that have convenience of payment, like apps and contactless, will do better than those that don't.’

‘Stop living in the past and modernise.’

In a news article about a cashless society, KFC customers were frustrated when a branch adopted a card-only policy.

A sign at the Morisset location stated that only 'contact-free' payments are accepted, leading to service denial for an elderly man who wished to pay with cash. Read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian driver has creatively protested against cashless parking meters by leaving a note and two gold coins in their car window.
  • The driver's action and message gained significant support on social media, especially among those who find the cashless system discriminatory or difficult to use.
  • Some commenters raised concerns about hidden fees associated with card payments and called for the right to pay with cash to be protected.
  • The debate over cash versus electronic payment methods prompted discussions about consumer choice and the need for businesses to offer multiple payment options for convenience.
Have you encountered similar issues with cashless systems, or do you embrace their convenience? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I embraced the cashless society during the COVID lockdown. I have since gone back to cash. There is that hidden card fee that really bugs me. I am finding I am reqally enjoying using cash again. It is legal tendeer!!!

Yes it is legal tender, but it is also legal for a business owner to set his own rules as to whether or not he will accept cash.
Time to change the law I think, or ban banks from charging a fee for card use.
They cut back on staff and close branches all over the place, saving a fortune by going digital and then charge us fees.
I think that's called double dipping.
But I doubt our p**s weak government will ever do anything about it.

What happened, did I miss something please, or has the "so called I know everything in their so called controlling seats behind computers" somehow made cash a NOT legal tender. How come coins etc. have been used for centuries, but in the last couple of years this has suddenly changed.

Sadly imo, the coming generation will be beholden to the corrupt Banking Industry more than ever b4 and are largely oblivious to it. The Banking RC highlighted this, but because they are untouchable not one charge was laid. To the person who said "‘One thing is certain, businesses that have convenience of payment, like apps and contactless, will do better than those that don't.’ No, the business that has the convenience of both will.

In My Humble Opinion cash will always be the top dog;;
when these fools who are pushing cashless wake up the trend will stop;;;;
what will drug dealers, dirty politicians or dirty cops do,,,, trade in bananas,,, what a thought you wouldn't be able to get a cheap banana at the green grocer any more;;;
that's In My Humble Opinion........

ANd when the net goes down, like it has in the past, you people that don't want cash can't buy anything, this world is run by banks and big pharma, I feel sorry for the young people, digging their own graves, wef is not a conspiracy theory.
Great! I will pay for my parking using five 500 mg Paracetamol tablets....

Yes it is legal tender, but it is also legal for a business owner to set his own rules as to whether or not he will accept cash.
Time to change the law I think, or ban banks from charging a fee for card use.
They cut back on staff and close branches all over the place, saving a fortune by going digital and then charge us fees.
I think that's called double dipping.
But I doubt our p**s weak government will ever do anything about it.
the govt CANT do much about it the banks virtually control the govt....just do as you are told. (and get used to it )

Reactions: Rob44
In My Humble Opinion cash will always be the top dog;;
when these fools who are pushing cashless wake up the trend will stop;;;;
what will drug dealers, dirty politicians or dirty cops do,,,, trade in bananas,,, what a thought you wouldn't be able to get a cheap banana at the green grocer any more;;;
that's In My Humble Opinion........
P.S. the drug dealers in my neighbourhood are already accepting credit card payment and crypto

NOT JUST phones can be a challenge for us oldies,.....but COMPUTERS as well. i DO NOT believe that we will go completely cashless. i went to my credit union the other day, i went straight to the teller to draw some money out, the teller said to me, there is a machine outside,.why did you come in hear, i said to her................BECAUSE I AM KEEPING YOU IN A JOB., she very quickly got the money out for me.

Didn’t anyone else find it interesting that the owner of the car had a ready made typed request to place on the windscreen. I pay using whatever method is available to me & certainly don’t have a stash of pre-prepared typed notes to put up when I’m cross about something.
I call that being organised and pre thinking. I may print one out to keep in my car "just incase" its required. Great idea.

NOT JUST phones can be a challenge for us oldies,.....but COMPUTERS as well. i DO NOT believe that we will go completely cashless. i went to my credit union the other day, i went straight to the teller to draw some money out, the teller said to me, there is a machine outside,.why did you come in hear, i said to her................BECAUSE I AM KEEPING YOU IN A JOB., she very quickly got the money out for me.
I said that to a teller when I got my first credit card in 1984. She seemed very surprised to hear that she could be replaced by a machine.