Aussie diners speak up about an ‘insidious’ dining trend – ‘It has no place here in Australia!’

Among the many long-term effects of COVID-19 are heightened hygiene measures and the digitalisation of nearly everything. But not everyone is on board with the digital shift, especially one particular trend that has become evident in multiple restaurants across the country.

Deemed as an opportunistic strategy that restaurants are using to boost their bottom line, several Australians slammed the digital payment system that forces customers to enter a percentage tip before they place their order.

In a Reddit thread, a user claimed that an option to tip staff 10 per cent is usually selected as the default option, which may easily mislead customers who aren’t tech-savvy or diners who are in a rush into accidentally tipping.

‘It seems to me that more and more places are using digital payment as a means to promote tipping in Australia. When you pay by card, you have to go through the tipping questions before being able to pay.’ the Reddit post read.

id54hncBRwqdoel4VmuXDdiYyl7HzQMCAxPEdI_1iH4-cG0nBq8adgy-6sc0YHTSVnAn_gVdnmsXMsZonBb5szVwfxUzGFgobF2fsbrePyMt8Fyxk-s0mPhOJbnzwcUdStqPdqE3QeL4kAkwT1SwD-yy0Bo9lM4f1knrbloifDayNY378eBd8wf0NQ

The digital payment system in Aussie eateries received massive backlash online. Source: Bloomberg

‘Some places now have QR codes where you order and pay for your stuff at the table with no interaction from a server, and the process still asks for a tip. We need to f**k this s**t off.’

The major issue raised about the tipping feature was how it comes before customers are given a chance to have any sort of interaction with the staff or their services.

After the post circulated, hundreds agreed with the plea and calls were made for the feature to be banished from QR code digital payment systems in Australia.

‘Asking for a tip before any service at all while you’re ordering from a code on the table is outrageous.’ one person responded.

‘This feature really p*sses me off.’ another added.

Aja6JwaJStgdMwzpcbKPIUVxqVDOzw8K_3hTFJOwEw_FDOl3tMjyKesPBJeVF2xh6lHYRfDlQWcrPP3KQMLLoGq4_pvmaQJmePT695hvT0FbNOxOxlteY05hezwBAUBgEw4CDkybnIR5BqHg7FkTvSMs6WqV8gA7VkknL-ofhGTTx8OsMNdvr5TxWw

Should the tipping feature be removed completely? Source: QR Tiger

One diner who recently experienced it said that they felt ‘really irritated’ after being asked for a tip before speaking with anyone working for the restaurant. They also complained about the menu having poor availability.

‘Half the items were unavailable. I ordered and paid without speaking to anyone and it asked for a tip at the end with the default option being 10 per cent.’ they recalled.

‘It really irritated me… Mostly because it’s Australia and these people are getting paid appropriately. Also, I had received zero services and for all I knew, my food could’ve been terrible. I definitely won’t go back there because of this reason.’

Others argued that meal prices were more than adequate compensation for restaurants.

‘Yeah, thanks – I love paying $25 for a single meal out and having to tip! Get f***ed. Tipping has no place here in Australia!’ a user exclaimed.

What are your thoughts about this feature? Have you ever experienced a similar issue when dining out? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
We recently went to lunch at a local hotel and were told the menu was on the QR code on the table. One of our fellow diners refused, saying "Not everyone has a smart device!"
The young person was stunned and said "Really?"
After we decided what we were going to eat, we ordered our meals and waited.
It seemed that everyone who ordered from the code was served before we were :cautious:

QR codes are a pain. I can't get them to work. Probably just old, slow and / or dumb.
Paying a "tip" ahead of service is said by some to guarantee good service; I do not agree.
If money is already in your pocket, what incentive for above average service?

I dine out quite a lot. I have refused QR ordering, telling them I do not carry a phone. It works because they desperately want the business after their poor run due to Covid. I have only once been told that there is no other way of ordering other than by QR. I told them "yes there is, at the restaurant just down the road" and prepared to leave. Only then did they find an alternative, and that was to pay by card. They initially wanted card payment up front, which I again declined. After the meal, I was taken to a small office to pay as there was no payment desk. I noticed a "tip fee" on the invoice. I again declined and demanded it removed. It was. So, YES, it can be done, dining without all this hoohah.

Among the many long-term effects of COVID-19 are heightened hygiene measures and the digitalisation of nearly everything. But not everyone is on board with the digital shift, especially one particular trend that has become evident in multiple restaurants across the country.

Deemed as an opportunistic strategy that restaurants are using to boost their bottom line, several Australians slammed the digital payment system that forces customers to enter a percentage tip before they place their order.

In a Reddit thread, a user claimed that an option to tip staff 10 per cent is usually selected as the default option, which may easily mislead customers who aren’t tech-savvy or diners who are in a rush into accidentally tipping.

‘It seems to me that more and more places are using digital payment as a means to promote tipping in Australia. When you pay by card, you have to go through the tipping questions before being able to pay.’ the Reddit post read.

id54hncBRwqdoel4VmuXDdiYyl7HzQMCAxPEdI_1iH4-cG0nBq8adgy-6sc0YHTSVnAn_gVdnmsXMsZonBb5szVwfxUzGFgobF2fsbrePyMt8Fyxk-s0mPhOJbnzwcUdStqPdqE3QeL4kAkwT1SwD-yy0Bo9lM4f1knrbloifDayNY378eBd8wf0NQ

The digital payment system in Aussie eateries received massive backlash online. Source: Bloomberg

‘Some places now have QR codes where you order and pay for your stuff at the table with no interaction from a server, and the process still asks for a tip. We need to f**k this s**t off.’

The major issue raised about the tipping feature was how it comes before customers are given a chance to have any sort of interaction with the staff or their services.

After the post circulated, hundreds agreed with the plea and calls were made for the feature to be banished from QR code digital payment systems in Australia.

‘Asking for a tip before any service at all while you’re ordering from a code on the table is outrageous.’ one person responded.

Aja6JwaJStgdMwzpcbKPIUVxqVDOzw8K_3hTFJOwEw_FDOl3tMjyKesPBJeVF2xh6lHYRfDlQWcrPP3KQMLLoGq4_pvmaQJmePT695hvT0FbNOxOxlteY05hezwBAUBgEw4CDkybnIR5BqHg7FkTvSMs6WqV8gA7VkknL-ofhGTTx8OsMNdvr5TxWw

One diner who recently experienced it said that they felt ‘really irritated’ after being asked for a tip before speaking with anyone working for the restaurant. They also complained about the menu having poor availability.

‘Half the items were unavailable. I ordered and paid without speaking to anyone and it asked for a tip at the end with the default option being 10 per cent.’ they recalled.

‘It really irritated me… Mostly because it’s Australia and these people are getting paid appropriately. Also, I had received zero services and for all I knew, my food could’ve been terrible. I definitely won’t go back there because of this reason.’

Others argued that meal prices were more than adequate compensation for restaurants.

‘Yeah, thanks – I love paying $25 for a single meal out and having to tip! Get f***ed. Tipping has no place here in Australia!’ a user exclaimed.

What are your thoughts about this feature? Have you ever experienced a similar issue when dining out? Let us know in the comments!
Enough Little America!!!

Welcome to 'your digital' world people, you can't have everything eh??
I'm all for having 'control' over what I do and when I do it, oh and also paying by 'cash' or if I choose to, by card!!

Reactions: Ricci
I haven't come across this yet but if and when I do I will complain or say I don't have my phone with me or simply take myself off to somewhere with human interaction.:)

We would immediately leave if a QR code is enforced and (especially) a tip was mentioned beforehand, and certainly never come back if a tip appears anywhere even after having been served by a dedicated staff member.

We are constantly reminded that some people start losing their "t" after "n" like in "Fremanel" for Fremantle and talk about the length of sharks in feet, but this is still not America. The minimum wage is over three times that of the Americans and is largely appropriate.

The staff of the food service industry is to be paid by their employer, not by the public. Otherwise, why don't we start tipping the nurses, the teachers, and the firefighters... at least THEY really need it.

Now cruise lines are asking passengers to pay “crew appreciation contributions” before you even get on the ship! Why should you tip before knowing the quality of service. On top of that the cruise lines are not transparent as to how much goes to the crew and what crew get these tips? Why pay for bar staff when you don’t drink?

• Sad
Not for me either, I would walk out if I was required to pay by QR code and tip either before or after service