Aussie crafter revamps Kmart shelves into a dazzling furniture piece – “I love how this looks!”

If you’ve got some outdated wooden blinds hanging around (ha ha), then you’ll be pleased to know that you can completely repurpose them into a luxurious furniture piece. This is the sign you’ve been looking for to kickstart a new DIY project!

One woman with an unmatched passion for crafting and decorating, Kristine Ham, made use of old wooden blind slats to turn a Kmart lozenge bookshelf into a sleek cabinet – and the result left thousands floored. She added that she got a hold of the blinds from Facebook marketplace.

Kristine was inspired to use Venetian blind slats in her latest DIY project after coming across another Instagram user’s upcycled bathroom cabinets. The user glued thin Venetian blind slats onto an old bathroom cabinet to give it a fresh, eye-catching look.

Kristine showed off her creation in a reel on her Instagram page @extra.ordinary.home.

Although we think the $69 bookshelf already looked pretty dapper on its own, Kristine took it to a whole new level and in doing so, also reduced her cleaning time.

rL1FtNjwrHJgyFnGOc22YC0jBIo0pBFmuTyieCTvolrltbRx_Hnoj3l7POv5cjenX_rCqsJOuds_5vMWoHM0VWlCUPyLh8uHmdZYXSYAiqd5kCUu-NM6y__TdXJ3-G3EvEOyGgITJ5eRaWe9Lg
uEdbdjxeW8AM-0WG9DWcWclZs7cvSN-nC4hbnwbEaWfcwv5SirjxUy66jTxYJN8Zh1D20Elguxe6w493ZKgiByZAwFq9qLQlWCDP2Nhh0MJcQfPXcNjFAxteKv9WwGoNLeMVdrlw9nMPwmSHsw

From cute to eye-catching. Image Credit: @extra.ordinary.home

"As I use this shelf to store all of my surplus vases, décor and general bric-a-brac, it can get quite dusty which is why I opted for closing it up," she captioned her Instagram post.

The pro decorator begins by cutting the strings off in between each slat before moulding the individual pieces to her desired size.

Then, Kristine glues the pieces onto the shelf, adding some tape on both edges of the individual slats while the glue sets. She proceeds by creating two doors using the blinds and attaching hinges so the doors can be opened and shut.

Once all the individual wood slats and doors were attached to the shelves, Kristine tops it all off with a maple tint that she purchased from Cabot's, painting over the exposed parts of the shelf to spice it up.

VorHu3P_CTf3Mfg6Ooa2UEf9bbWnAnjTd5FphjnwW23AZL9mxztIyoc22rGqFmJO_KO4BGfTWbIUpNpbKGfaQzzEOFh1z-ym7Xg-PDm5FViTclVSOTQGs5JayiqFvHrPPxxDpZICLsDHIex4Ow
ENRgwAZfoWYs5_bMCK5Zn_Xs-MwUCNpx1ae8VKVFB5MMsV_HKAiE0Skszp1KJPjAmhcCY9UhCuTYcL7biuQ0igzrgk5SJ2z9GevHk85XynF3b6EYy00dJRoi-YdHP6ND1_dhDVoRwfqKS6AuaQ

She demonstrated the steps online. Image Credit: @extra.ordinary.home

"I love how this looks! I just wish it were in a more photogenic space and not a hallway," Kristine shared.

Thousands of users adored Kristine’s DIY project as it hit two birds with one stone – it’s environmentally friendly and cheap!

“Oh wow, I love this so much. It looks so awesome!” one person wrote.

“Oh my gosh, so good, so creative!” gushed another.

“What an amazing idea. Absolutely love your DIY’s.” a third praised.

“This is SUCH a cool idea.” commented one more.

But this isn’t the first time Kristine stole the hearts of fellow interior design enthusiasts. Kristine was the person behind the viral Kmart bread bin side table hack that sparked a trend among hundreds of people who turned their own bamboo bread bins into furniture and homewares as well.

55Q13hVx6x7-RWqIfas1K7mp8SozIynD3iOPDSXPOOpUa2Lz09K8jDXN3a1gyt-0VC4v-wacbS7GJ2URpIV27sYXyZbrlNK_TfMeRJGw0ESqJkL5Or4QVKLh34Q6Rfe1Wx7HUID7vhYgenJjqA
IscDt7NZ5XosZk66xeNKel6jYWQD5cwGJl9z2ghSRv8r6wux_i2vqfpblBicgqBtbr-zSrLJxk5EDN_GjhGcG-_WKRpdB5a33hg9-iAnTP6EyYN5ljb4VGmaFVKjq8-45p4uJ3XQqqxS6Kz4Xg

Kristine was behind the viral bread bin upcycle. Image Credit: @extra.ordinary.home

"Have I gone too far? Actually, don't answer that. Just behold my latest bizarre piece of furniture that was crafted by things that were absolutely NOT meant to be furniture," Kristine referred to her DIY project at the time.

But after sharing her clever idea, Kristine did wonder if there'd be enough bread bins left at Kmart to make a matching table for the other side of her bed. This time around, people may be left scrambling for old Venetian blinds to replicate her latest upcycle.

What are your thoughts on Kristine’s bookshelf transformation? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Watch how she did it with the video below:

Video Credit: @extra.ordinary.home

Sponsored