Aussie’s video tour of a super fancy Aldi store in Portugal goes viral — are Aussies being shortchanged?

Travellers don’t often have supermarkets on their bucket list. A trip to the shops might be a grudging necessity for some milk, bread, and other essentials (ahem.. Tim Tams), but usually it’s not a particularly memorable experience.

But the opposite happened to a Sydney couple currently touring Europe.

Queenie Tan, 26, who is travelling with her fiance Pablo, 30, was surprised to find an Aldi supermarket in Portugal that offered perks absent from most of its Australian counterparts.

She shared the experience through an Instagram ‘reel’, a term that refers to short-form videos shared through the app.

Since then, the video has gained more than 41,000 views.

But what are the perks, you might be asking.

The couple found an orange juice machine and a bread slicer, which shoppers are free to use, much to their delight!

All they had to do was bring a couple of oranges with them from the supermarket’s fruit section.

In the video, Queenie had trouble carrying the citrus fruits to put in the machine. However, Pablo devised a clever solution: toss in the oranges one by one!

They did not need to peel the skin to use the juicer, either.

Within seconds, they were already enjoying freshly squeezed juice in clear Aldi bottles!

Customers can also buy loaves of bread they can put inside an industrial slicer.

While sliced bread is available in the store, the machine allows shoppers to get cuts of bread based on how thick they want the slices to be.

All they had to do was place the loaf on the conveyor belt and the slicer did its magic.

According to Queenie, the slicing is music to the ears! You can see the machine in action, which is also satisfying on its own.

Once the freshly sliced bread comes through, customers put it inside a paper bag.

The pair then featured a variety of choices of fresh seafood and canned fish on their reel.

There’s a reason the European travel destination is popular for its seafood dishes such as bacalhau (salted cod), lapas (sea molluscs), and bruxas (slipper lobsters).

And of course, the supermarket also had tasty-looking Portuguese tarts.

Aussie followers were just as excited to see Queenie’s European Aldi finds.

'I want freshly squeezed orange juice in my local!' one person commented.

Another Instagram user chimed in: 'OMG, I wish Australian Aldi was like this!'

(For the uninitiated, OMG stands for ‘oh my god’.)

Others expressed envy for having a not-so-fancy Aldi nearby: ‘I want freshly squeezed orange juice in my local also!’

But one comment seems to imply that the Portuguese Aldi wasn’t so special: ‘So you guys don’t have that? I mean it’s all over Europe!’

While rare, Australia also has its share of ‘fancy’ supermarkets offering many of the same conveniences.

'Some Coles have those orange juice machines! So good,' one user commented.

Do you folks make it a point to check out supermarkets on your travels? Or are they more of an afterthought? Let us know through the comments!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Travellers don’t often have supermarkets on their bucket list. A trip to the shops might be a grudging necessity for some milk, bread, and other essentials (ahem.. Tim Tams), but usually it’s not a particularly memorable experience.

But the opposite happened to a Sydney couple currently touring Europe.

Queenie Tan, 26, who is travelling with her fiance Pablo, 30, was surprised to find an Aldi supermarket in Portugal that offered perks absent from most of its Australian counterparts.

She shared the experience through an Instagram ‘reel’, a term that refers to short-form videos shared through the app.

Since then, the video has gained more than 41,000 views.

But what are the perks, you might be asking.

The couple found an orange juice machine and a bread slicer, which shoppers are free to use, much to their delight!

All they had to do was bring a couple of oranges with them from the supermarket’s fruit section.

In the video, Queenie had trouble carrying the citrus fruits to put in the machine. However, Pablo devised a clever solution: toss in the oranges one by one!

They did not need to peel the skin to use the juicer, either.

Within seconds, they were already enjoying freshly squeezed juice in clear Aldi bottles!

Customers can also buy loaves of bread they can put inside an industrial slicer.

While sliced bread is available in the store, the machine allows shoppers to get cuts of bread based on how thick they want the slices to be.

All they had to do was place the loaf on the conveyor belt and the slicer did its magic.

According to Queenie, the slicing is music to the ears! You can see the machine in action, which is also satisfying on its own.

Once the freshly sliced bread comes through, customers put it inside a paper bag.

The pair then featured a variety of choices of fresh seafood and canned fish on their reel.

There’s a reason the European travel destination is popular for its seafood dishes such as bacalhau (salted cod), lapas (sea molluscs), and bruxas (slipper lobsters).

And of course, the supermarket also had tasty-looking Portuguese tarts.

View attachment 4804
Queenie Tan also shared photos of the lovely European capital on her Instagram. Credit: Instagram/Queenie Tan

Aussie followers were just as excited to see Queenie’s European Aldi finds.

'I want freshly squeezed orange juice in my local!' one person commented.

Another Instagram user chimed in: 'OMG, I wish Australian Aldi was like this!'

(For the uninitiated, OMG stands for ‘oh my god’.)

Others expressed envy for having a not-so-fancy Aldi nearby: ‘I want freshly squeezed orange juice in my local also!’

But one comment seems to imply that the Portuguese Aldi wasn’t so special: ‘So you guys don’t have that? I mean it’s all over Europe!’

While rare, Australia also has its share of ‘fancy’ supermarkets offering many of the same conveniences.

'Some Coles have those orange juice machines! So good,' one user commented.

Do you folks make it a point to check out supermarkets on your travels? Or are they more of an afterthought? Let us know through the comments!

The Aussie version of Aldi is very different to overseas. They have a much bigger variety of products than we do

Reactions: Ricci
Oh I love the Deli display in Portugal at the supermarkets…….. everything is fresh, I mean really fresh. And the presentation of the cold meats and how they serve them, it’s to be commended.
About the Portuguese tarts, you can buy them at Woollies. They are sold in a pack of 4, for $6. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Just one thing, if you buy them, don’t eat them straight from the box. First, in a plate, place a couple of paper towels, take the tarts from the aluminium foil and place them on the plate. Heat the oven to the maximum degrees then put the plate inside and let the tarts go for about 15-20 minutes. Take them out and let them cool down as the custard gets very hot. Just feel the crunchy pastry melting in your mouth 😋😋👍🏼👍🏼

Sorry, but this story was circulating in the media about 3- 4 weeks ago!!

The girl promoting the services of Aldi Portugal, self serve orange juicing and bread slicing, holds up a tin of canned sardines, and declares the choice of "fresh" fish!!

Did you know most Coles and Coles Local stores in Victoria, at least, provide the bread slicing machine, for customers use, and the fresh orange juicing machine, as well, and staff top up the oranges in the hopper, regularly.

Coles have had these in their stores for several years, now!!

Did you also know Aldi is currently trialing "make your own pizzas" automatic pizza cookers in some Australian stores. Aldi shoppers select their topping choices, and in 5 minutes have a hot, fresh pizza, to eat whilst shopping!!

I bet they don't have hot fresh pizzas in the Aldi stores in Portugal. !!

You're welcome

Reactions: Groovy and Ricci
Oh I love the Deli display in Portugal at the supermarkets…….. everything is fresh, I mean really fresh. And the presentation of the cold meats and how they serve them, it’s to be commended.
About the Portuguese tarts, you can buy them at Woollies. They are sold in a pack of 4, for $6. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Just one thing, if you buy them, don’t eat them straight from the box. First, in a plate, place a couple of paper towels, take the tarts from the aluminium foil and place them on the plate. Heat the oven to the maximum degrees then put the plate inside and let the tarts go for about 15-20 minutes. Take them out and let them cool down as the custard gets very hot. Just feel the crunchy pastry melting in your mouth 😋😋👍🏼👍🏼
Are these reheating instructions correct??

"Heat the oven to the maximum degrees then put the plate inside and let the tarts go for about 15-20 minutes."

If I did that in my oven at max heat, after 15-20 minutes, I would have very burnt Portugues tarts from the heat!!

"Heat the oven to the maximum degrees then put the plate inside and let the tarts go for about 15-20 minutes."

If I did that in my oven at max heat, after 15-20 minutes, I would have very burnt Portugues tarts from the heat!!

They are in my oven, but let them go to a better crispier stage. If you have tasted them out of the box but try to let them cook for a little longer, you’ll see the big difference in taste. 👍🏼Just use the proper heat in your oven and see how long the tarts need to be in.