SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
August Competition! SDC Cooks

The sun has well and truly risen on August and the weather has us feeling peckish.

We thought, what better way to celebrate a new month than to launch a competition and for it to be themed around food!

This August, we’re looking for your favourite recipe. Ginger snap cookies that your nan used to make, your family lasagne recipe with a secret ingredient or even a cocktail or mocktail recipe you invented on a whim!

Now, we have plans to share these recipes with you all in an easy-to-read way, so we need them to be your own words. You can take inspiration from another recipe, but we want to see your creative flair.

One lucky entrant will receive a $100 voucher to their choice of Woolworths, Coles or IGA.

To be in the running, share your favourite family recipe in the comments below.

Entries close August 31st, 11:59 pm.

Please keep in mind that other people will be able to read your recipe, so do not share anything you want to keep a family secret.

Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 11.02.23 am.png
Image Credit: Shutterstock

Last edited:
Omg where do I start 😳
I'm going to have to think hard

Cooking is a passion of mine .

I am going to add a few recipes including my famous lasagne .

When I worked in bridal , the owner of the business, my boss was American an ex professional golfer. He spent 6 months Here and 6 months in the USA.

HE always had one request that when he arrived back in Australia that my lasagne would be waiting for him.
Now around 8 years ago , he was going to have his close friend for dinner none other than Neil Diamond and who was asked to please cook....ME , my request to stay for dinner.
It was 2 weeks until my dream dinner and to think I would cook for Neil Diamond , when unexpectedly my boss had to fly back to Salt Lake City.
So that dinner never happened.

Last edited:
asian-slaw-4.jpg
INGREDIENTS

FOR THE SALAD

• ▢3 cups green cabbage shredded

• ▢1 cup purple cabbage shredded

• ▢1 cup carrots shredded

• ▢3/4 cup bell peppers thinly sliced, red, yellow or a combination of colors

• ▢1/4 cup sliced green onions plus more for garnish if desired

• ▢1/4 cup coriander leaves coarsely chopped, plus more for garnish if desired

• ▢1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted

• ▢2 teaspoons sesame seeds

FOR THE DRESSING

• ▢2 tablespoons vegetable oil

• ▢1/4 cup rice vinegar

• ▢1/4 cup hoisin sauce

• ▢1 teaspoon honey

• ▢1 tablespoon soy sauce

• ▢1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely grated

• ▢1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

• ▢salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

• Place the green cabbage, purple cabbage, carrots, bell peppers, green onions, coriander and almonds in a large bowl.

• Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl; whisk until well combined.

• Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture. Toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the slaw.

• Garnish with additional green onions and coriander if desired, then serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 4 hours.

Last edited:
A family favourite desert has to be Rice Cream .

Makes around 8 small bowls.

cooking time around 20 minutes

Recipe and photos are mine

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup of white rice uncooked
5 cups of milk
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour mixed in a little cold water maybe 2 tablespoons

METHOD

1. In a large saucepan add rice and milk and bring to the boil stirring continuously. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until rice is soft , stirring.

2. Stir in sugar mix well. Add cornflour mixture and continue to cook on low to medium heat until thickens

3. In a medium bowl add egg yolks and whisk with fork , add vanilla essence and mix .

4. Gradually add a little of the rice mixture to the egg n vanilla mixture and stir through again add a little more rice mixture and stir through. Then Add egg mixture to pan of remaining rice and stir through until combined.

5. Divide between small bowls and sprinkle cinnamon powder on top , I leave some plain as I have a couple of kids that don't like cinnamon

store in fridge .
Nice served either warm or cold
Screenshot_20230807_100635_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Gluten Free Health Loaf

This is a family favourite, and good for fetes and morning teas.

1 cup GF Weetbix
1 cup low fat milk
1 cup GF SR flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup raw sugar or substitute
1/2 cup dried fruit or chopped apple
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
3 mashed bananas
2 eggs, whisked

soak weetbix in the milk and leave for 10 minutes
In a large bowl mix together, GF SR flour, bicarb, sugar, dried fruit, coconut, and flax seed.
Mix together, the mashed bananas and eggs.
Add the banana mixture and weetbix to the dry ingredients
Mix well, and spoon into a lined loaf tin.
Bake at 170C 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
Allow to cool a while, turn out onto a cake cooler. Serve with butter if liked.

This is my family recipe I am sharing. It's My Ultimate recipe
This recipe is THE recipe if I post that Ive made them on our family what's app all my kids will come home.

A Little time consuming but really worth it

Ive had a cafe wanting me to make these for them.

Makes around 80 pies

Recipe can be halved but use the same ammount of yeast

I made these last week and took photos of the steps

CHEESE PIES

Recipe is by me
photos are by me.

Prep time around 40 min
cooking time around 20 minutes

Screenshot_20230807_111542_Gallery.jpg

INGREDIENTS

Cheese mixture

500g Australian feta cheese grated
500g ricotta cheese
1 small bunch of mint finely chopped
2 eggs

Dough Mixture

1 kg plain flour

375 g unsalted butter melted

1 Egg extra for glazing

1 small block of fresh yeast around the size of a 50c coin or bit bigger (availableat most continental deli's)

2 cups
of warm water.

METHOD

Cheese.

1. combine in a bowl grated feta, ricotta, eggs and mint and mix until completely combined.
Set aside.
Screenshot_20230807_110153_Gallery.jpg

Dough

1. In a jug add fresh yeast and 1/4 cup of the warm water , mix until yeast is mixed with water.

2. In a large bowl add flour, make a well and pour in melted butter , yeast mixture and remaining water . Mix together with your hands , then start kneading. Mixture will be sloppy but as you continue kneading it will magically form into a ball. Kneading takes about 10 minutes...it's a good workout.

Assembling

keep Dough covered with a clean tea towel, it's normal for it to rise as you a making them .
1. Take pieces of dough , size of a large walnut maybe slightly bigger . Knead slightly then roll with rolling pin to form some what a circle ..see pictures.

2. Add a tablespoon of cheese mixture to centre of circle and fold over . Using a glass to cut and seal edges ..see picture.

3. place on oven trays lined with baking paper, spread out as they will rise in the oven, lightly brush with the extra egg and cook in preheated oven 180 C or 160 C fan-forced for around 25 minutes

4. remove from oven let cool on tray for 5 minutes then add to a large bowl that is lined with a clean tea towel and cover pies with a tea towel. This will stop them drying out and keep them soft.

Screenshot_20230807_110217_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230807_110221_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230807_110159_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230807_110203_Gallery.jpg

 Enjoy

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Monmc and Tervueren
Curried pumpkin scones!
4 cups s/r flour
2 cups cooked-soft pumpkin
1/2 cup of sugar
1 egg
2 heaped t spoons curry powder
300mls full cream.

Combine all but the flour and cream components in a measured jug. Add cream to the mixture such that it doesn't exceed 600 mls. If it doesn't reach 600mls plain milk can be added to top up.
Sift the 4 cups of flour into a reasonable sized bowl and add the the jug mixture to combine to a dough.
Pre-heat an oven to 200°C.
Dust a clean bench area with flour and tip the measure on to it. Pat the mixture out to approximately 15mm thick.
Use a "biscuit cutter" (or an average drinking glass will do) to cut out the scones.
Put baking paper on a large oven tray, install the scones and place in the oven for approx 10-12 minutes.
Check with a skewer.
When cooked cover with a teatowel and allow to cool
or you can eat then promptly as you wish.
Served with a dab of butter... delicious 😊

Salmon/Crab Mornay Quiche

Olive oil

Flour

1 onion – finely chopped or shallots

Medium size tin of salmon or crab

Skim milk

3 – 4 eggs (depending on the size of your quiche dish)

Grated tasty cheese

Shaved parmesan

Green onion tops – finely sliced (a small amount for colour)

Red capsicum – finely chopped (again a small amount for colour)

Fresh parsley

Ground black pepper

Salt (if you want)

Pinch nutmeg

Frozen puff pastry

Method

Drain salmon or crab reserving liquid. Make liquid up to 1 ¼ cups with skim milk.

Cook onion in a little olive oil until soft (in medium saucepan). Remove from heat, Add 1 tablespoon flour and the milk mixture. Stir over low heat until boiling and thickened. Remove from heat.

Add green onion, red capsicum, parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg, flaked salmon, or crab, beaten eggs and tasty cheese (as much or little as you like) and combine well.

Pour into quiche dish (which is already greased and lined with puff pastry) and top with shaved parmesan. Bake at medium temperature until puffed and brown (about 30 – 40 minutes in a moderate oven). Prebaking the pastry shell for about 10 min. should prevent a soggy bottom.

Attachments

• 1691377970929.png
    1691377970929.png
    317.9 KB · Views: 0
Easy No-fail Lasagna

My 4 adult kids and hubby love this dish so I often make it when one of them is visiting. Also able to be frozen whole or in portions, or made 2 days before.

Ingredients
Large rectangular dish, needs to be deep for 4 layers of lasagna.
1 1/2-2 kilos 4star beef mince
2T olive oil
3 jars Dolmio sauce (pick flavour you like- tomato, basil, garlic etc I use the chunky pasta sauce in Aldi.
Extra garlic minced or fresh (opt)
2 large onions
2-3 cups white sauce ( recipe below)
2 pkts dry lasagna sheets
Pkt grated cheese, tasty

White sauce recipe
3 cups milk in non stick saucepan
2 heaped T cornflour
Good pinch mixed herbs

Method
Use large electric frypan or very large saucepan. Fry mince in 4 lots, removing each one when nicely browned. Can be slightly undercooked at this stage. Drain off any fat or blot with paper towel whilst mince is up the end and frypan is tilted.
Add garlic and chopped onion and all of mince to pan. Cook till onion is browned. Add 3 jars of tomato mix plus 1/3 jar water to rinse each jar out.
Simmer till cooked.

Meanwhile make white sauce.
Stir constantly so it does not stick. If it begins to stick turn lower and whisk. It won’t thicken until it approaches boiling. If it won’t thicken turn down. Dissolve another small T of cornflour and mix in stirring constantly. Watch carefully till it thickens. Turn off and cover with lid.

Assembly ( heat oven to 180*)
Pour 1/2 cup boiling water into lasagna dish. Lay first layer of lasagna. Spread 3 cups meat sauce in dish as evenly as possible. Cover with another layer of lasagna. Lasagna will expand so leave 2cm from top of dish. Unless it is a deep dish you can only do 3 layers of lasagna.
Do another meat layer and then more lasagna. You can put a layer of white sauce in here or you can leave it till last. Finish with a layer of lasagna and then meat sauce.
Cover with extra large foil and cook in oven 35 minutes
Lasagna is best made day before otherwise it will be very runny when served. Next day heat 1/2 hour with foil. Take foil off cover with good layer of grated cheese and brown in hot oven. Careful don’t burn. Check it is hot in middle before serving.
Lovely served with garlic bread and a garden salad.
Good luck!

Salmon/Crab Mornay Quiche

Olive oil

Flour

1 onion – finely chopped or shallots

Medium size tin of salmon or crab

Skim milk

3 – 4 eggs (depending on the size of your quiche dish)

Grated tasty cheese

Shaved parmesan

Green onion tops – finely sliced (a small amount for colour)

Red capsicum – finely chopped (again a small amount for colour)

Fresh parsley

Ground black pepper

Salt (if you want)

Pinch nutmeg

Frozen puff pastry

Method

Drain salmon or crab reserving liquid. Make liquid up to 1 ¼ cups with skim milk.

Cook onion in a little olive oil until soft (in medium saucepan). Remove from heat, Add 1 tablespoon flour and the milk mixture. Stir over low heat until boiling and thickened. Remove from heat.

Add green onion, red capsicum, parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg, flaked salmon, or crab, beaten eggs and tasty cheese (as much or little as you like) and combine well.

Pour into quiche dish (which is already greased and lined with puff pastry) and top with shaved parmesan. Bake at medium temperature until puffed and brown (about 30 – 40 minutes in a moderate oven). Prebaking the pastry shell for about 10 min. should prevent a soggy bottom.
Love this

Reactions: millicent haha
Mine is Hawaiian cake
Hawaiian Cake

My sister hates pineapple-like refuses to eat anything with pineapple in it! She loved this dessert! I may not have told her that there was pineapple in it, but when I did, it didn’t stop her from eating it!

Sisterly love at its finest! This is really good so try it out! This recipe makes 2 Hawaiian cakes.

Ingredients:
1 package yellow cake mix 2 packages (5.1 oz each) instant vanilla pudding mix 4 cups cold milk 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract 8 oz cream cheese (softened) 1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple, drained 3 cups heavy whipping cream 2 tablespoons powdered sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 2 cups flaked coconut, toasted Directions: 1. Mix cake batter according to package directions. 2. Split the batter in half and pour into two greased 13"x 9" baking pans. 3. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the cakes test as done. Cool completely. 4. In a large bowl, combine pudding powder, milk and coconut extract; beat for 2 minutes. (Do NOT make the pudding and then put it in) 5. Add the cream cheese to the pudding mixture and beat well. Stir in the pineapple. Split the mixture in half and spread over the two cooled cakes. 6. Put whipping cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar in a bowl. Whisk until peaks form and then spread the whipped cream over the pudding on both cakes. 7. Spread the coconut evenly on a cookie sheet. Heat the oven at 350 degrees and bake for 7-8 minutes or until light golden brown. Spread the toasted coconut over the top of the homemade whipped cream. 8. Chill for at least 2 hours!
Hawaiian-cake-pina-colada.jpg

Last edited:
August Competition! SDC Cooks

The sun has well and truly risen on August and the weather has us feeling peckish.

We thought, what better way to celebrate a new month than to launch a competition and for it to be themed around food!

This August, we’re looking for your favourite recipe. Ginger snap cookies that your nan used to make, your family lasagne recipe with a secret ingredient or even a cocktail or mocktail recipe you invented on a whim!

Now, we have plans to share these recipes with you all in an easy-to-read way, so we need them to be your own words. You can take inspiration from another recipe, but we want to see your creative flair.

One lucky entrant will receive a $100 voucher to their choice of Woolworths, Coles or IGA.

To be in the running, share your favourite family recipe in the comments below.

Entries close September 3rd, 11:59 pm.

Please keep in mind that other people will be able to read your recipe, so do not share anything you want to keep a family secret.

View attachment 26655
Image Credit: Shutterstock

I am not a cook. I just cook the easiest and quickest way that I can.
I used to make my mushroom gravy the long way, but, have since implemented a cheat version.
Now, I buy a large tin of creamy mushroom soup, divide it into 4 portions. I use 1 portion, put in in a saucepan and add fresh musrooms sliced or button and simmer until the mushrooms soften. I add a little sea salt to taste, and there is my mushroom gravy.
I freeze the other 3 soup portions in little containers for future use.

I have found this to be a good way of getting the most out of the mushrooms and it tastes pretty good.

Loubieh Bi Zait Ingredients (4 servings)

• 3 lbs of green beans

• 3 medium onions (yellow or white)

• 2/3rd cup of extra virgin olive oil

• 1 to 2 teaspoons of Lebanese 7-spices

• 1/2 teaspoon of salt

Preparation Method of Sauteed Green Beans Recipe With Olive Oil

• Rinse the green beans well then cut off the stems (about 1/3rd of an inch from each side). You could break the stems away with your nails or with a knife.

• Finely chop the onions then saute them in olive oil in a deep pot on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes or until they start turning pinkish.

• At which time add the green beans, add the salt and half of the 7-spices, mix very well to make sure the olive oil and onions covers all the beans, cover the pot well, lower the heat and let simmer for 45-55 minutes while stirring and mixing every 5-10 minutes.

• Once cooked, the green beans will turn into a dark “olive” color. Add the remaining 7-spices at the end and mix well with the beans before serving.

• Serve hot or cold (taste much better) with pita bread and a side of veggies like radish, bell peppers or green onions

Foot note it might seem.lot beans but it reduces as you cook.

Lovely dish hot or cold...the middle picture is finished product
add-green-beans-and-mix.jpg2657_loubieh-bi-zait-613x408@2x.jpg

sautee-onions-in-olive-oil.jpg

Apricot Chicken
Close-up-of-Instant-Pot-Apricot-Chicken (1).jpg

Apricot Chicken Cooking Methods

That’s really what I love most about this recipe. You can prepare it pretty much any way you’d like! You can have your chicken in about 25 minutes in the Instant Pot, or you can have it be cooking for hours in a CrockPot. No matter how you make this recipe, it is going to be delicious!

Baked Apricot Chicken

This is actually the method I use the most. It is SO easy and I can prepare the rest of the meal while the chicken is baking. Baked apricot chicken goes great with rice or along with a side salad. The leftovers are amazing

Instant Pot Apricot Chicken

This method is great when you are in a pinch and need dinner done, like now. I have gotten the burn notice before when I haven’t put the water at the bottom of the Instant Pot first. Adding water to the bottom seems to fix this problem. You can serve the chicken shredded or as whole pieces.

Grilled Apricot Chicken

This is my favorite way of preparing the chicken in the summertime. The apricot mixture makes for an excellent glaze. We have also tried it over kabobs and it really brings out the flavor of the vegetables. Try it with peppers, onions, pineapple, and, of course, apricots! You won’t re

How to Make Apricot Chicken

Easy Apricot Chicken (only 5 ingredients)

Make this easy, flavorful apricot chicken in the oven, slow cooker, pressure cooker, or even on the grill. You just can't go wrong with this recipe!

Cook Time 30 minutes

Servings6 servings

INGREDIENTS

• ▢3 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)

• ▢1 cup apricot preserves and apricot

• ▢1 cup Catalina salad dressing (or Russian dressing)

• ▢2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

• ▢2 ounces dried onion soup mix

INSTRUCTIONS

View Step Photos

• Cut chicken breasts in half or into serving-sized portions.

• In a medium-sized bowl, combine apricot preserves, and apricot Catalina dressing, onion soup mix, and Dijon mustard. Mix well.

Baked Instructions:

• Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Place chicken in a greased 9×13 baking dish. Pour apricot mixture evenly over chicken and bake 40-45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Slow Cooker Instructions:

• Place chicken in slow cooker. Pour apricot mixture over chicken and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low heat for 4-6 hours. Serve as whole pieces or shred.

Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot) Instructions:

• Put ⅓ cup water in the Instant Pot. Place chicken in the water and then pour the apricot mixture over the top. Place lid (make sure release tab is set to "sealing") and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes and allow to natural release for additional 5 minutes.

Grilled Instructions:

• Place chicken in a large sealing freezer bag. Place half of the apricot mixture in a bowl and set aside. Pour the rest of the apricot mixture in the bag with the chicken and place in refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade.

• Grill chicken over medium-high heat for about 5-6 minutes on each side or until chicken is completely cooked through (internal temp of 165-degrees), brushing with remaining apricot mixture while grilling.

Baked Apricot Chicken

This is actually the method I use the most. It is SO easy and I can prepare the rest of the meal while the chicken is baking. Baked apricot chicken goes great with rice or along with a side salad. The leftovers are amazing served over green salad the next day (try it with blue cheese crumbles and vinaigrette).

Another favourite 😍 ❤️ 💕 👌 ♥️ 💖

• Love
Reactions: Tervueren
Dutch Meatballs

Sick of mince and have no ideas. Try these with some mashed potatoes and the gravy is to die for.

DUTCH MEATBALLS

Ingredients:

500 gr of minced beef and pork
2 slices of stale, white bread
4 tablespoons of milk
1 egg
1 tomato
100 g of butter
Nutmeg 1 level teaspoon
Salt and pepper

½ cup water

½ cup water with 2 teaspoon beef stock and one teaspoon cornflour

Preparation:

First remove the crusts and then soak the bread in the milk. Once the bread is soft, squeeze out any excess milk and place in a bowl with the mince, egg, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Knead the mixture thoroughly until the bread is no longer visible. Divide the meat into 8 portions and roll into generous balls. Next heat butter in a frying pan and fry the meatballs on all sides. Meanwhile, peel the tomato, cut into quarters and add to the pan. Fry the meatballs for a further 10 minutes and then turn over and a further 10 minutes on a low heat. Add ½ cup water and cover with lid, simmering for 20 minutes. Remove the meatballs from the pan. Pour in water with beef stock and cornflour, stir the residue and bring to the boil until a rich gravy forms.

Hawaiian Cake

We were having a luau at young women’s and I thought that it would be awesome to have a Hawaiian dessert. What is better than coconut and pineapple?!

My sister hates pineapple-like refuses to eat anything with pineapple in it! She loved this dessert! I may not have told her that there was pineapple in it, but when I did, it didn’t stop her from eating it!

Sisterly love at its finest! This is really good so try it out! This recipe makes 2 Hawaiian cakes.

Ingredients:
1 package yellow cake mix 2 packages (5.1 oz each) instant vanilla pudding mix 4 cups cold milk 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract 8 oz cream cheese (softened) 1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple, drained 3 cups heavy whipping cream 2 tablespoons powdered sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 2 cups flaked coconut, toasted Directions: 1. Mix cake batter according to package directions. 2. Split the batter in half and pour into two greased 13"x 9" baking pans. 3. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the cakes test as done. Cool completely. 4. In a large bowl, combine pudding powder, milk and coconut extract; beat for 2 minutes. (Do NOT make the pudding and then put it in) 5. Add the cream cheese to the pudding mixture and beat well. Stir in the pineapple. Split the mixture in half and spread over the two cooled cakes. 6. Put whipping cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar in a bowl. Whisk until peaks form and then spread the whipped cream over the pudding on both cakes. 7. Spread the coconut evenly on a cookie sheet. Heat the oven at 350 degrees and bake for 7-8 minutes or until light golden brown. Spread the toasted coconut over the top of the homemade whipped cream. 8. Chill for at least 2 hours!
View attachment 27330
You can't use other people's wording , it sounds like you are talking about your sister.
This whole thing was taken from

Hawaiian Cake

We were having a luau at young women’s and I thought that it would be awesome to have a Hawaiian dessert. What is better than coconut and pineapple?!

This was not your words but Lou Lou girls I follow her blog​

• Wow
Reactions: Tervueren