Ask Joy: Making Changes — What’s Stopping Me?

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by retired psychologist/ member @Joy Straw.

This is going to be a short article because I believe you have all the answers already; we just need to unearth them.

I was asked recently by several different people why it is so difficult for them to make changes in their lives. We have all had to make decisions and make changes in our lives that weren’t easy, and for some, the changes were extremely difficult. Bravo if you are able to make decisions quickly and easily. Deciding to make a will or deciding not to babysit the grandkids so often, perhaps the decision to move into a retirement village can be huge and distressing for some people. Others thrive and are thrilled to be making those sorts of choices and can make them with little stress or worry.

Sponsored
A lot of the time it can be the love of your life is holding you back from
Making the changes you need, and it’s hard to chose between the two. The bond is closer than the will to change your life for the better. I have seen the spouse flourish once their partner has passed, but of course the opposite is also true.

Euthanasia is the way to go..... as soon as I can't fend for myself... goodbye cruel world.....

Reactions: Joy Straw
As the years pass, for me the biggest changes have been to adjust my life as those I care about the most in my world are saying goodbye for ever.
One day there is a big loud family .... then .... before I know it, the numbers have dwindled drastically.
Looking at change in general, I have some reluctance to change without evaluation first. The world is moving so fast, sometimes, I just need to take a breath.