Ask Joy: I think someone I know needs a little help (Part 2).

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by retired psychologist/ member @Joy Straw.

Tip
Missed Part 1? Catch up here.

Recently I wrote an article about some of us needing help as we age. It brought about a lot of conversation about aged care packages.

The first hurdle to overcome is to accept that we may need support to remain in our homes and do some of the things we previously took for granted. This may be as simple as somebody helping with the gardening. Maybe it’s a little bit of help with the house cleaning or grocery shopping. Whatever help we have will enable us not only to have a better quality of life but also to prolong our ability to stay within our homes.

Either you’ve applied for an assessment, or your GP, Geriatrician, or social worker has, and you’re still waiting (see my earlier article about how to apply). The easiest way to apply is online, and it takes a matter of minutes.

There are a lot of people currently on waiting lists, but it does not hurt to ring to check and to remind them that you are in line and that it’s progressing. Don’t forget there’s a waiting list and finite packages. However, there is plenty to do while you’re waiting.

shutterstock_2433070819 (1).jpg
You can apply online. Image Credit: Shutterstock

If the package is for you, it may be easy for you to follow the suggestions below, however, if it is somebody you know who is struggling it may require you to help make the correct preparations.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I'm continually amazed at the difference in waiting times between states. Queensland residents seem to do a lot better when it comes to health care. I recall my mum telling me, when I was expecting my first child, if there's something wrong with the baby, move to Queensland. That was 40+ years ago. Now a friend in NSW is waiting for a care package and has been quoted a 'very long' wait time. At the same time, a Queensland relative, accessed similar in a matter of weeks.

So pleased to see your warning re added costs. At 84 i was granted a level 2 package. Living alone and capable health wise to stay in my house, I needed little, but that need was important. Joined a good provider only to find out when over two months I had to pay over $900 as my government contribution. With all the info I was given this didn’t come up.
I had been with them for 2 months when the assessment came through and apparently a bit over the income limit. If that had come through in good time would never have taken it up.
I know people with hidden assets who get th lot I just want a kind person to take me places, some frozen food and a gardener.
Shed many a tear over this I can tell you

The reality of all this is, Providers are not able to find enough workers for the people waiting on a list.
Quite believe this. However I had no trouble over the time I was with them. The provider couldn’t have been more helpful and quite upset when I couldn’t continue.
The carer they gave me was so lovely I cut back on my budget changing meat to less expensive proteins as hard as I could and when needed she works for me privately.

Most pensioners or DVA pensions can apply for half price taxi fares in their State. The only downside of community transport is the elderly have to wait for a certain window frame/time for pick up/drop off at doctors or shopping etc. Also, they aren't the only people on the bus, so lots of dropping off at places until people get home. However, there's no problem if people know someone who can take them.

We have 1 hours help every fortnight. We pay $11 for this service. I was interested that someone said it was free if you are on a full pension. I have to agree that Australia is stagnating under red tape. Even these senior government services are hard to navigate and understand.

So pleased to see your warning re added costs. At 84 i was granted a level 2 package. Living alone and capable health wise to stay in my house, I needed little, but that need was important. Joined a good provider only to find out when over two months I had to pay over $900 as my government contribution. With all the info I was given this didn’t come up.
I had been with them for 2 months when the assessment came through and apparently a bit over the income limit. If that had come through in good time would never have taken it up.
I know people with hidden assets who get th lot I just want a kind person to take me places, some frozen food and a gardener.
Shed many a tear over this I can tell you
This is the problem with so many Providers. Every cost should be explained fully when signing a Person up. But too many Providers a ripping off the system. And it pays to have a Family member with you when a Provider comes to sign you up.

Reactions: GrannyJA!