SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Ask Joy: Do you have a question for a retired psychologist?

Happy New Year!

Many of you are likely already familiar with member @Joy Straw who has shared some incredible writing with the SDC community. Now, for a limited time, we would like to open up the floor to questions and topic suggestions from the entire SDC community.

If you have a suggestion, please comment it down below. Not sure what topics have been covered already? Catch up on 'Ask Joy' here.

If you would prefer to email your suggestion for complete privacy, you can do so at [email protected] with the subject line 'Question for Ask Joy'.

We're looking forward to hearing from you all!

Attachments

• Question thumbnail.png
    Question thumbnail.png
    190.8 KB · Views: 0
What can be done about a Psychiatrist (hired and paid a lot of money through Comcare) resfusing to refer a patient to a more appropriate doctor for her nerves, stress and anxiety. There was a complaint sent in to the Dept Health, but they ignored it. The psychiatrist stated that he didn't believe anything his client said, but I know her and she doesn't tell lies. This seems to have been going on for years with doctors in the employ of Comcare. Then they close the case and discard any records. The client requested to go to a Psychologist because she hadn't slept for 4 years because of haunting memories of how she was treated in the workplace by senior and junior supervisors. His report only made her worse for her. The comcare doctors don't do any tests, treatment or proof, but their reports are believed. It tuned out they had never heard of Adrenal Fatigue.

This should be classified as criminal but no one will do anything about it. She was finally diagnosed by a Naturopath for Adrenal Fatigue.

• Wow
Reactions: PattiB and Ezzy
Thankyou April for advising us of this .

Thankyou Joy for giving us the opportunity to draw upon your training for those difficult questions which can affect any one of us here. Some people may have an issue which has dogged them for years.

What can be done about a Psychiatrist (hired and paid a lot of money through Comcare) resfusing to refer a patient to a more appropriate doctor for her nerves, stress and anxiety. There was a complaint sent in to the Dept Health, but they ignored it. The psychiatrist stated that he didn't believe anything his client said, but I know her and she doesn't tell lies. This seems to have been going on for years with doctors in the employ of Comcare. Then they close the case and discard any records. The client requested to go to a Psychologist because she hadn't slept for 4 years because of haunting memories of how she was treated in the workplace by senior and junior supervisors. His report only made her worse for her. The comcare doctors don't do any tests, treatment or proof, but their reports are believed. It tuned out they had never heard of Adrenal Fatigue.

This should be classified as criminal but no one will do anything about it. She was finally diagnosed by a Naturopath for Adrenal Fatigue.
Dear ElizaKaye I’m sorry I missed this question.
I agree that this is a considerable problem. Legally I’m not sure there is much more that you can do from the legal point of view. My concern is the client who is having these difficulties. First thing I would do is find another GP to refer them to another psychologist to see them. It is not necessary to remain with a clinician if you are not finding them to your liking or satisfaction. Some people will clash or not feel comfortable with a clinician. I always state that if I don’t think our work is helpful or sufficiently beneficial I would refer them to someone else, fortunately I haven’t had to but the option is there. However it does not stop the client from choosing someone else. People go to a psychologist/psychiatrist for a variety of reasons but primarily to be heard and helped. Please seek out another clinician and explain what it is that you want (not be told you’re wrong). Also I think you maybe referring to Workers Compensation? If this is true then that is difficult because while they are treating the client they’re also trying to get the person back to work. If that is the case , you may need to discuss the need for an impartial clinician and using there own financial means to resolve the issue. I apologise for the delay and hope this has been of some help.Best wishes Joy

Reactions: Ezzy
How do U help a alcoholic who is my 50year old son to get the help he needs when he is in denial
Dear birutespehr it is a very difficult situation and this will probably not what you want to hear but I’m sure you realise you can’t change your son. He has an illness and an addiction which until he wants to change it will not change no matter what you do. It is easy to be in denial and go right ahead with what he is doing but until he hits a point there is nothing you can do. Love and support is important but not at your expense. Don’t fall in to enabling behaviours but also don’t turn your your back on him but remember it is his illness and only he can’t learn how to make himself well. I wish I could tell you what to do but only he can find his way through this. Protect yourself from his illness. You’re in my thoughts and hoping he finds peace. Joy

Reactions: PattiB and Ezzy