Ash Barty shocks interviewer with ‘firm’ answer to question about her baby's gender

If you've been following the news lately, you'll know that our very own legendary former tennis champion Ash Barty is about to embark on a thrilling new journey – motherhood.

But it seems she's keeping a few of the details under wraps, as evidenced by a rather intriguing interview on Sunrise that left its hosts and viewers quite curious.

Prior to giving birth, the 27-year-old retired three-time Grand Slam winner, soon to welcome her first child with husband Garry Kissick, made an appearance on the morning show.

During the interview, Mark Beretta posed a simple question about her baby's gender, probably expecting a heartwarming or even revealing response. However, Ash Barty's answer caught everyone by surprise.

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 10.15.01 AM.png
Barty offered a firm answer when asked about her baby's gender, saying she and her husband have decided to keep it a surprise. Credit: Instagram/ashbarty.

When asked if she knew whether she was having a boy or girl, Ash calmly replied, 'No.' Mark attempted to gather more information, adding, 'It's a surprise?' To that, Barty stoically said, 'Yeah.'

This brief and candid exchange led to a bit of post-interview speculation. Natalie Barr remarked to Mark that Ash 'batted him back a bit', to which he agreed but added that she did it in a nice way.

Even David 'Kochie' Koch couldn't help but chime in with his thoughts, suggesting that despite how 'firm' she was on the subject, perhaps she knows more than she's letting on. Kochie even brainstormed a fun idea, saying, 'I reckon she might know... do a gender reveal with different colour tennis balls.'

While the conversation around the baby's gender may have been enigmatic, Ash Barty was more open about her pregnancy experience so far.

She said she's 'feeling good' and appreciates being able to do 'some really cool things in the lead-up'. Barty acknowledged her fortune to 'continue to work and continue to be stimulated' during this stage in her life.

Aside from discussing her pregnancy experience and the mystery surrounding her baby's gender, Ash Barty also expressed her gratitude for the support she has received from both her family and her husband's family.

'Look, it's different for everyone, but I've been very lucky in my family that I have an incredible mum, and I have a fantastic mother-in-law,' she said.

She recognised the invaluable influence of her sisters, who are already incredible mothers, and emphasised the joy she experiences in spending time with them and their children.

With such positive role models in her life, Barty expressed that not much will change in terms of the close bond she shares with her family, saying: 'Our relationship will stay really tight-knit, so it's exciting for everyone.'

Inevitably, the conversation turned towards the question of whether Ash Barty would make a comeback to the tennis court, a topic that has come up in several interviews since her retirement announcement.

Barty responded without hesitation, firmly stating, 'No... plain and simple. I'm very excited to spend some time with our family.' She reaffirmed her satisfaction with her tennis career, stating, 'I have absolutely no regrets,' and emphasised her eagerness to move on to different experiences.

Key Takeaways

• In her last interview before welcoming her baby, former tennis sensation Ash Barty graced the set of Sunrise on Tuesday.
  • The conversation took an intriguing turn when Mark Beretta inquired about the gender of her baby, to which Barty provided a resolute response, expressing that she and her husband have chosen to keep it a surprise.
  • Barty also made it clear that her future plans do not involve a return to the tennis court after giving birth, firmly stating her intentions to focus on motherhood.

As with any expectant mother, the journey toward welcoming a new life into the world is filled with surprises, excitement, and challenges. Ash Barty, being the talented and resilient individual she's known to be, will undoubtedly embrace this new and rewarding chapter in her life.

We extend our heartfelt congratulations to Ash and her family, and we'll be eagerly awaiting any future updates – including the fascinating mystery of the baby's gender. Time will tell whether or not Kochie's colourful tennis ball gender reveal idea comes to fruition!

What are your thoughts on this story, folks? What did you think of Barty's answers? And how do you feel about the growing trend of gender reveal events and the pressure to share such information publicly? Should expectant parents be expected to partake in these events? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
If you've been following the news lately, you'll know that our very own legendary former tennis champion Ash Barty is about to embark on a thrilling new journey – motherhood.

But it seems she's keeping a few of the details under wraps, as evidenced by a rather intriguing interview on Sunrise that left its hosts and viewers quite curious.

Prior to giving birth, the 27-year-old retired three-time Grand Slam winner, soon to welcome her first child with husband Garry Kissick, made an appearance on the morning show.

During the interview, Mark Beretta posed a simple question about her baby's gender, probably expecting a heartwarming or even revealing response. However, Ash Barty's answer caught everyone by surprise.

View attachment 19993
Barty offered a firm answer when asked about her baby's gender, saying she and her husband have decided to keep it a surprise. Credit: Instagram/ashbarty.

When asked if she knew whether she was having a boy or girl, Ash calmly replied, 'No.' Mark attempted to gather more information, adding, 'It's a surprise?' To that, Barty stoically said, 'Yeah.'

This brief and candid exchange led to a bit of post-interview speculation. Natalie Barr remarked to Mark that Ash 'batted him back a bit', to which he agreed but added that she did it in a nice way.

Even David 'Kochie' Koch couldn't help but chime in with his thoughts, suggesting that despite how 'firm' she was on the subject, perhaps she knows more than she's letting on. Kochie even brainstormed a fun idea, saying, 'I reckon she might know... do a gender reveal with different colour tennis balls.'

While the conversation around the baby's gender may have been enigmatic, Ash Barty was more open about her pregnancy experience so far.

She said she's 'feeling good' and appreciates being able to do 'some really cool things in the lead-up'. Barty acknowledged her fortune to 'continue to work and continue to be stimulated' during this stage in her life.

Aside from discussing her pregnancy experience and the mystery surrounding her baby's gender, Ash Barty also expressed her gratitude for the support she has received from both her family and her husband's family.

'Look, it's different for everyone, but I've been very lucky in my family that I have an incredible mum, and I have a fantastic mother-in-law,' she said.

She recognised the invaluable influence of her sisters, who are already incredible mothers, and emphasised the joy she experiences in spending time with them and their children.

With such positive role models in her life, Barty expressed that not much will change in terms of the close bond she shares with her family, saying: 'Our relationship will stay really tight-knit, so it's exciting for everyone.'

Inevitably, the conversation turned towards the question of whether Ash Barty would make a comeback to the tennis court, a topic that has come up in several interviews since her retirement announcement.

Barty responded without hesitation, firmly stating, 'No... plain and simple. I'm very excited to spend some time with our family.' She reaffirmed her satisfaction with her tennis career, stating, 'I have absolutely no regrets,' and emphasised her eagerness to move on to different experiences.

Key Takeaways

• In her last interview before welcoming her baby, former tennis sensation Ash Barty graced the set of Sunrise on Tuesday.
  • The conversation took an intriguing turn when Mark Beretta inquired about the gender of her baby, to which Barty provided a resolute response, expressing that she and her husband have chosen to keep it a surprise.
  • Barty also made it clear that her future plans do not involve a return to the tennis court after giving birth, firmly stating her intentions to focus on motherhood.

As with any expectant mother, the journey toward welcoming a new life into the world is filled with surprises, excitement, and challenges. Ash Barty, being the talented and resilient individual she's known to be, will undoubtedly embrace this new and rewarding chapter in her life.

We extend our heartfelt congratulations to Ash and her family, and we'll be eagerly awaiting any future updates – including the fascinating mystery of the baby's gender. Time will tell whether or not Kochie's colourful tennis ball gender reveal idea comes to fruition!

What are your thoughts on this story, folks? What did you think of Barty's answers? And how do you feel about the growing trend of gender reveal events and the pressure to share such information publicly? Should expectant parents be expected to partake in these events? Let us know in the comments!

Good on her for standing her ground! I understand people wanting to know what gender their baby is before meeting them, so they can prepare with clothes etc. However, if I was to have a child, (46 & no skinkids, only furbabies), I would want to wait. That's one of the best things is finding out who you have when you finally meet them

I hate gender reveal parties with a passion! Just another reason to squeeze money and gifts out of family and friends. That’s just me. But I personally wouldn’t want to know either. The surprise was the best bit.

It's her choice if she wants to reveal the baby's gender but I think she could have answered a bit better . Like hmmm that question we want to skip, or now that one isn't open for discussion instead of one word answers which always appear a little rude.

She did agree to go on the show and to be interviewed, she also could have said prior the questions she didn't want to answer.

Mark Baretta is always very respectful

View attachment 19993

Key Takeaways

i do wish these interviewers took the hint, and stopped with personal questions. Better to wait for forthcoming news than pester.

It's her choice if she wants to reveal the baby's gender but I think she could have answered a bit better . Like hmmm that question we want to skip, or now that one isn't open for discussion instead of one word answers which always appear a little rude.

She did agree to go on the show and to be interviewed, she also could have said prior the questions she didn't want to answer.

yes no is an answer and not rude.

She said “No” nicely. What more do you want? Just the media making it out more than it is. And Ash is always respectful too, giving her time to be interviewed.
Next question

She was asked whether she knew, and the follow-up question was whether the baby's gender was going to be a surprise. She answered both questions politely. Where you draw the inference that she was in some way avoiding answering the questions is a mystery to me.

View attachment 19993

Key Takeaways

So nice to not know the gender!!

View attachment 19993

Key Takeaways

What a disappointingly, ridiculous 'lead-in' and headline. WHAT is 'cotroversial' and 'shocking' about Ash Barty's totally normal replies??? Absolutely NOTHING.

I myself, always 'felt' the sex of my 2 children so was able to get the appropriate colours in time for the births. I just hate the tendency today to broadcast the gender to all & sundry. If you want to tell anyone it should be just family. No one else needs to know. Good luck Ash & your husband & good on you for wanting to surprise the world best wishes for the birth of your first child.

View attachment 19993

Key Takeaways

The only thing that should be expected of expectant parents is that they do what is right for them. It's their journey in life, not anybody else's.

View attachment 19993

Key Takeaways

It's their bundle off joy so when he or she is born they will let all know good on you Ash enjoy your little person when they arrive ❤❤❤❤

We weren't given an option to know the baby's sex with our four. I could have told them anyway, a girl each time. Each time 3 of our married daughters conceived l knew weeks before we were told & further knew the sex of each child.

When our granddaughter (by marriage to our grandson) conceived 12 months ago the signs were there, then she lost it. I have been able to tell other ladies correctly the sex of their baby too. How this happens l have no idea. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nana Zorak
We weren't given an option to know the baby's sex with our four. I could have told them anyway, a girl each time. Each time 3 of our married daughters conceived l knew weeks before we were told & further knew the sex of each child.

When our granddaughter (by marriage to our grandson) conceived 12 months ago the signs were there, then she lost it. I have been able to tell other ladies correctly the sex of their baby too. How this happens l have no idea. Not sure is this is a good or bad thing.
I'm able to do this as well. When at work after helping a bride and before she left the store I would say congratulations again and give her a hug and on several times I knew the bride was pregnant and told her, one time the bride said no one knew except her and hubby. On several other times the bride said she wasn't only to have taken a test when they got home to find they were pregnant.

Another friend who had trouble getting pregnant and youngest child was 10, it was at my child's christening and she hugged me and I gasped and said she was pregnant , she said no ..really . So she got a test on the way home and yes she was pregnant. She called crying that night and asked how did I do it. I did it a second time with her.
It's a feeling U get when I hug someone and they are pregnant. I can also tell them what they are having , so much so at baby gender reveals I'm not allowed to say when they are doing teams .

Reactions: Ezzy