Arnott's customers saddened after beloved biscuit axed during pandemic

We're sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like one of Australia's most beloved biscuit brands has quietly discontinued another of its fan-favourite products.

Arnott's Biscuits — which has been a staple in Aussie homes for generations — recently did away with its Honey Jumbles, much to the dismay of loyal sweet-toothed customers, including ourselves…

For those who may be unfamiliar with them, Arnott's Honey Jumbles are soft-baked gingerbread fingers that are topped with pink or white icing. They were a customer hit due to their delicious flavour and unique texture.

However, it looks like they won't be gracing our shelves (or our stomachs) anymore, as Arnott's confirmed that the biscuits have been permanently discontinued.

When asked about the decision to axe the product, an Arnott's spokesperson said: ‘We stopped baking our Honey Jumbles in July 2021. At this stage there are no plans to bring the product back to the shelf.’

036027.jpg
Aussies will no longer see Honey Jumbles’ classic pink- or white-topped biscuits. Credit: Woolworths

The spokesperson explained that the decision was made because of ‘low sales and consumer demand’.

Many patrons were saddened and disappointed with the development.

‘I’m just finding out. This is horrible news,’ one person said.

Another added: ‘We’re just going to cancel Honey Jumbles without any warning, huh?’

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for Arnott’s customers as they discontinued their Classic Assorted biscuit pack, also citing low sales.

For former Arnott’s food scientist Russel Stuart, the latest axed biscuit line might be a sign of tougher days ahead for those who love a good bikkie every now and then.

‘I think it could be the beginning of the end of bikkies,’ Stuart said.

‘They’re declining, there’s so much other new stuff out there and only (seniors) eat it.’

‘I’m off the bikkies myself but it’s our nannas, it’s our grandparents they’re hurting, in my opinion. (They’re) taking away the things our grandparents love.’

036027_6.jpg
Things may not be so bleak for those who will miss Arnott’s Honey Jumbles. Credit: Woolworths

Despite the sad news, there might also be a silver lining. (Sadly, silver bikkies aren’t a thing… yet.)

While we might not be seeing the biscuits back, Arnott’s has given customers a parting gift, perhaps as a consolation.

‘We also know there are some VERY passionate Honey Jumbles fans out there, which is why Arnott’s Head of Culinary, Chef Vanessa Horton, has adapted the Honey Jumbles recipe so that people can recreate these iconic biscuits at home,’ the spokesperson shared.

The homemade Honey Jumbles take around 10 minutes to prepare and another 12 to cook, according to the recipe good for 20 biscuits.

Biscuits:
  • Softened Unsalted Butter (75 g)
  • Honey (¼ cup)
  • Treacle Syrup (¼ cup)
  • Plain Flour (1 ½ cup)
  • Ground Ginger (2 tbsp)
  • Baking Soda/Bicarbonate of Soda (½ tbsp)
  • Milk (1 ½ tbsp)

Icing:
  • Egg White (1)
  • Icing Sugar (1 ½ cups)
  • Lemon Juice (1 tsp)
  • Pink Food Colour

Once you have all ingredients, get started by preheating your oven to 170 degrees celsius. Line two baking trays with baking paper.

Combine the butter, honey, and treacle in a small saucepan and stir over moderate heat until the mixture is evenly melted and smooth. It is recommended not to boil it! Set aside when done to cool.

Next, sift the plain flour, ground ginger, and baking soda/bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl before adding the cooled butter-honey-treacle mixture and the milk. Stir well and then chill for about 30 minutes.

Source: YouTube/Zuhause kochen

Once cooled, roll the mixture into logs about 30 cm long and cut it into 7-cm segments. Place the segments on the baking tray prepared earlier and bake for 12 minutes.

After, leave the cookies for about 5 minutes more, and then transfer them on a cooling tray.

For the icing, just whisk the egg white until frothy. Sift the icing sugar into the egg white and mix until smooth. Don’t forget to add some food colouring for pink icing!

Lastly, dip the baked biscuits’ front sides into the icing mixture and repeat until done.

If ever you try it, let us know how it goes!

Key Takeaways

• Arnott’s has quietly discontinued their Honey Jumbles biscuit, much to the dismay of fans.
  • The company cites low sales and consumer demand as the reasons for the discontinuation.
  • Arnott’s has provided a recipe for fans to recreate the iconic biscuits at home.
Meanwhile, you might also want to check out Arnott’s new ‘indulgent’ range of Tim-Tams launched just in time for the holidays.

So, what do you think? Is Arnott’s making a big mistake by discontinuing Honey Jumbles? Were you a fan of the biscuits too?

Share your thoughts and reactions below!

Sponsored
I can't believe no one's heard of them.
I remember my grandmother buying these and they were one of her favourites

I buy them every now and then and when I'm eating them they remind me of her.

The bottom was a cross between a biscuit and cake tasted alittle like gingerbread.

When I was little it was such a big decision would I have the pink or white , even though the taste was the same.

Same here, never heard of these here in WA and I'd still like to ask Arnotts what happened to Chocolate Royals here in WA, I hear they are still available in other states.
Don't like the new ones with the pink marshmallow and milk chocolate.

I too have never heard of, or seen honey jumbles, would have liked to try them at least once. :(

The recipe states it takes about 10 minutes to prepare and 12 minutes to cook, then they tell you to refrigerate for 30 minutes before cooking so surely prep time should be 40 minutes?;):rolleyes:⌚⏰⏱️

Absolutely disgusting. My grandfather was a partner of Arnotts in its early stage. Honey jumbles were also a part of those first initial biscuits. Many generations of babies have been given these to suck on and many grandparents ate these when they no longer had teeth
For dunking in their tea. My own children always thought it was awesome to receive some from their grandparents in their Chrissy presents seeing they weren’t available for many years in WA now my own great grandchildren will never know that tradition for our family. I am going to boycott Arnotts

We're sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like one of Australia's most beloved biscuit brands has quietly discontinued another of its fan-favourite products.

Arnott's Biscuits — which has been a staple in Aussie homes for generations — recently did away with its Honey Jumbles, much to the dismay of loyal sweet-toothed customers, including ourselves…

For those who may be unfamiliar with them, Arnott's Honey Jumbles are soft-baked gingerbread fingers that are topped with pink or white icing. They were a customer hit due to their delicious flavour and unique texture.

However, it looks like they won't be gracing our shelves (or our stomachs) anymore, as Arnott's confirmed that the biscuits have been permanently discontinued.

When asked about the decision to axe the product, an Arnott's spokesperson said: ‘We stopped baking our Honey Jumbles in July 2021. At this stage there are no plans to bring the product back to the shelf.’

View attachment 9576
Aussies will no longer see Honey Jumbles’ classic pink- or white-topped biscuits. Credit: Woolworths

The spokesperson explained that the decision was made because of ‘low sales and consumer demand’.

Another added: ‘We’re just going to cancel Honey Jumbles without any warning, huh?’

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for Arnott’s customers as they discontinued their Classic Assorted biscuit pack, also citing low sales.

For former Arnott’s food scientist Russel Stuart, the latest axed biscuit line might be a sign of tougher days ahead for those who love a good bikkie every now and then.

‘They’re declining, there’s so much other new stuff out there and only (seniors) eat it.’

‘I’m off the bikkies myself but it’s our nannas, it’s our grandparents they’re hurting, in my opinion. (They’re) taking away the things our grandparents love.’

View attachment 9577
Things may not be so bleak for those who will miss Arnott’s Honey Jumbles. Credit: Woolworths

Despite the sad news, there might also be a silver lining. (Sadly, silver bikkies aren’t a thing… yet.)

While we might not be seeing the biscuits back, Arnott’s has given customers a parting gift, perhaps as a consolation.

‘We also know there are some VERY passionate Honey Jumbles fans out there, which is why Arnott’s Head of Culinary, Chef Vanessa Horton, has adapted the Honey Jumbles recipe so that people can recreate these iconic biscuits at home,’ the spokesperson shared.

The homemade Honey Jumbles take around 10 minutes to prepare and another 12 to cook, according to the recipe good for 20 biscuits.

Biscuits:
  • Honey (¼ cup)
  • Treacle Syrup (¼ cup)
  • Plain Flour (1 ½ cup)
  • Ground Ginger (2 tbsp)
  • Milk (1 ½ tbsp)

Icing:
  • Egg White (1)
  • Icing Sugar (1 ½ cups)
  • Lemon Juice (1 tsp)
  • Pink Food Colour

Once you have all ingredients, get started by preheating your oven to 170 degrees celsius. Line two baking trays with baking paper.

Combine the butter, honey, and treacle in a small saucepan and stir over moderate heat until the mixture is evenly melted and smooth. It is recommended not to boil it! Set aside when done to cool.

Next, sift the plain flour, ground ginger, and baking soda/bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl before adding the cooled butter-honey-treacle mixture and the milk. Stir well and then chill for about 30 minutes.

Once cooled, roll the mixture into logs about 30 cm long and cut it into 7-cm segments. Place the segments on the baking tray prepared earlier and bake for 12 minutes.

After, leave the cookies for about 5 minutes more, and then transfer them on a cooling tray.

For the icing, just whisk the egg white until frothy. Sift the icing sugar into the egg white and mix until smooth. Don’t forget to add some food colouring for pink icing!

Lastly, dip the baked biscuits’ front sides into the icing mixture and repeat until done.

Key Takeaways

• Arnott’s has quietly discontinued their Honey Jumbles biscuit, much to the dismay of fans.
  • The company cites low sales and consumer demand as the reasons for the discontinuation.
  • Arnott’s has provided a recipe for fans to recreate the iconic biscuits at home.
Meanwhile, you might also want to check out Arnott’s new ‘indulgent’ range of Tim-Tams launched just in time for the holidays.

So, what do you think? Is Arnott’s making a big mistake by discontinuing Honey Jumbles? Were you a fan of the biscuits too?

Arnott biscuits have been slowly disappearing from shelves for years. Not only are certain types disappearing but the size is also getting smaller. If they keep shrinking there won't be much biscuit left anyway. Shop around and you will find better value for money elsewhere.

Honey Jumbles always used to appear at Sunday School picnics.
I guess they travelled well, and it didn't matter if it turned out to be a hot day.
Ordinary biscuits wouldn't be nice if they didn't stay crisp, but the honey jumbles were already a softish texture
The icing was very hard, so didn't melt.
The icing was like on tick tock biscuits.

Last edited:
I too have never heard of, or seen honey jumbles, would have liked to try them at least once. :(

The recipe states it takes about 10 minutes to prepare and 12 minutes to cook, then they tell you to refrigerate for 30 minutes before cooking so surely prep time should be 40 minutes?;):rolleyes:⌚⏰⏱️
I've made these and when you make the biscuit mixture you
Wrap it in plastic and pop in the fridge
They are yummy and really not the same as the arnotts ones

Haven't seen them in QLD shops for many years but used to eat them as a kid along with nearly everything Arnott's made. Was disgusted when they changed the Ginger Nut biscuit to the sad shallow "Ginger snap" type thing they have now, they keep the original image on the pack but the biscuit is nothing like it. Get Red seal Ginger Biscuits think IGA has them

As a child I remember my grandmother would visit and bring 2 things with her. One were these lollies that don't exist anymore, and the other were Honey Jumbles. In my adulthood I'v bought the maybe 4 times. Not bought them for at least 10 years. I always associate Honey Jumbles with my grandmother, who passed away many long years ago. Maybe they would still be here if she was alive!

I used to make Honey Jumbles biscuits when I had the family and they were a hit. A bit of preparation but worth it. I don't like that Coles don't stock certain biscuits and Woolies do, especially ones I like. their range is getting smaller. NOT Happy Jan!

View attachment 9576

View attachment 9577

Biscuits:
  • Honey (¼ cup)
  • Treacle Syrup (¼ cup)
  • Plain Flour (1 ½ cup)
  • Ground Ginger (2 tbsp)
  • Milk (1 ½ tbsp)

Icing:
  • Egg White (1)
  • Icing Sugar (1 ½ cups)
  • Lemon Juice (1 tsp)
  • Pink Food Colour

Key Takeaways

Well I haven't heard of them, but to those who love them, it is a shock. I wish companies would stop doing this type of thing without consulting / warning the public. Maybe someone might have a good idea as to how to keep them on the shelves. Thanks for the recipe. Will give it a go!

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
Haven't seen them in QLD shops for many years but used to eat them as a kid along with nearly everything Arnott's made. Was disgusted when they changed the Ginger Nut biscuit to the sad shallow "Ginger snap" type thing they have now, they keep the original image on the pack but the biscuit is nothing like it. Get Red seal Ginger Biscuits think IGA has them
I've been using Ginger Nut biscuits for years as the base for some of my cheesecakes. I haven't noticed any change in them. They are delicious, although very hard and they certainly give my food processor a workout!

Reactions: RTS and Ricci