Are your dishes always dirty? This hidden dishwasher part could be to blame!

Keeping your kitchen clean and sparkling is an essential part of maintaining a healthy home for you and your family.

However, now and then, dishwashers can cause us some trouble, especially when it seems that after running a cycle, our dishes end up still dirtier than expected.

What might be causing this issue? Interestingly, it could be something small and easy to miss.

A recent video drew attention to the problem of a dirty dishwasher, offering a straightforward yet highly effective solution.

A social media user under the name ‘Beanina4’ expressed her frustration about her dishes appearing dirty.

However, she quickly pinpointed the problem: an overlooked dishwasher filter.

photo (3).jpg
An overlooked dishwasher filter could be the cause of your consistently dirty dishes. Image source: TikTok/@beanina4

‘I’ve been in my apartment for four years now, and I never even knew this filter was a thing,’ she said.

This revelation also surprised many viewers who didn't know they needed to maintain their filter, with one person saying, ‘I've never cleaned that filter before... ever... Didn't even know it existed.

To get started with the cleaning, the first step is to take out the filter and let it soak in a mixture of hot water and soap in the sink.

Using a small bristle-cleaning brush, the woman diligently scrubbed the filter, eliminating all the accumulated gunk.

This step is important for maintaining your dishwasher’s performance. A clogged filter can block water flow, causing less effective dish cleaning.

While the filter was soaking, the social media user moved on to the next part of cleaning, where the focus was on the dishwasher itself.

She began with her two essential ingredients: distilled white vinegar and bicarb soda.

She took the bicarb soda and sprinkled ‘a generous amount’ into the bottom of the washer. This acts as a natural abrasive to address any remaining residue and odours.

Then, she filled a small container with vinegar and placed it on the top rack. She also ran the machine through a hot cycle to ensure a thorough cleaning.

After completing the cycle, the creator revealed the unpleasant residue that accumulated in her vinegar container, signalling that her dishwasher was now ready to perform at its best.

Upon reassembling all the machine parts and running a regular dishwashing cycle, the user concluded her video with an important reminder to viewers: ‘Don’t forget to deep clean your dishwasher.’

This attention-grabbing video serves as a reminder to keep your dishwasher clean for optimal performance. So, when your dishes aren't as clean as you'd like, remember this cleaning tip.

Video source: TikTok/@beannina4

Key Takeaways

• A video has become popular online showing how cleaning a little-known part of a dishwasher–the filter–can ensure cleaner dishes.
  • The video showed removing and cleansing the dishwasher filter and prompted viewer reactions from those unaware of the filter’s existence or its regular cleaning needs.
  • Following the filter cleaning, the social media user demonstrated how to clean the dishwasher using ingredients including bicarb soda and vinegar.
  • The video serves as a valuable reminder of the significance of regular dishwasher maintenance for optimal performance and cleanliness.
In another story, we also provided a step-by-step guide on how to clean a dishwasher. You can find it here.

Members, what’s your dishwasher cleaning routine? Do you have any additional tips for cleaning dishwashers that you’d like to share with the community?

Please share your insights in the comments below!

Sponsored
Keeping your kitchen clean and sparkling is an essential part of maintaining a healthy home for you and your family.

However, now and then, dishwashers can cause us some trouble, especially when it seems that after running a cycle, our dishes end up still dirtier than expected.

What might be causing this issue? Interestingly, it could be something small and easy to miss.

A recent video drew attention to the problem of a dirty dishwasher, offering a straightforward yet highly effective solution.

A social media user under the name ‘Beanina4’ expressed her frustration about her dishes appearing dirty.

View attachment 33831
An overlooked dishwasher filter could be the cause of your consistently dirty dishes. Image source: TikTok/@beanina4

‘I’ve been in my apartment for four years now, and I never even knew this filter was a thing,’ she said.

This revelation also surprised many viewers who didn't know they needed to maintain their filter, with one person saying, ‘I've never cleaned that filter before... ever... Didn't even know it existed.

To get started with the cleaning, the first step is to take out the filter and let it soak in a mixture of hot water and soap in the sink.

Using a small bristle-cleaning brush, the woman diligently scrubbed the filter, eliminating all the accumulated gunk.

This step is important for maintaining your dishwasher’s performance. A clogged filter can block water flow, causing less effective dish cleaning.

While the filter was soaking, the social media user moved on to the next part of cleaning, where the focus was on the dishwasher itself.

She began with her two essential ingredients: distilled white vinegar and bicarb soda.

She took the bicarb soda and sprinkled ‘a generous amount’ into the bottom of the washer. This acts as a natural abrasive to address any remaining residue and odours.

Then, she filled a small container with vinegar and placed it on the top rack. She also ran the machine through a hot cycle to ensure a thorough cleaning.

After completing the cycle, the creator revealed the unpleasant residue that accumulated in her vinegar container, signalling that her dishwasher was now ready to perform at its best.

Upon reassembling all the machine parts and running a regular dishwashing cycle, the user concluded her video with an important reminder to viewers: ‘Don’t forget to deep clean your dishwasher.’

This attention-grabbing video serves as a reminder to keep your dishwasher clean for optimal performance. So, when your dishes aren't as clean as you'd like, remember this cleaning tip.

Key Takeaways

• A video has become popular online showing how cleaning a little-known part of a dishwasher–the filter–can ensure cleaner dishes.
  • The video showed removing and cleansing the dishwasher filter and prompted viewer reactions from those unaware of the filter’s existence or its regular cleaning needs.
  • Following the filter cleaning, the social media user demonstrated how to clean the dishwasher using ingredients including bicarb soda and vinegar.
  • The video serves as a valuable reminder of the significance of regular dishwasher maintenance for optimal performance and cleanliness.
In another story, we also provided a step-by-step guide on how to clean a dishwasher. You can find it here.

Members, what’s your dishwasher cleaning routine? Do you have any additional tips for cleaning dishwashers that you’d like to share with the community?

Yeah not surprised. Stayed at a holiday unit a few years ago and no one had ever cleaned the filter in the dryer. Reckon no one reads the instruction manuals or they buy second hand or it comes with the house. so they have no idea. You can buy dishwasher cleaner. Works well but still need to clean. out the filter occasionally

Mine always comes out clean 🙂 because I am the dishwasher!!!
I wash up like a dishwasher. Initial rinse, main wash with good quality dishwashing liquid, then a final rinse to remove any traces of suds, etc. Finish off with a draining tray....no wiping up here! Plus it's counterproductive.

Overkill? To be honest, I don't give a flying f**k!

Reactions: Bullwinkle
My dishwasher filter was clogged like this several years ago. I took it to a repair place & they said to use a toothbrush & Domestos to clean it. It was easy

Always blame the machine when it’s the operator at fault. If in doubt read the instruction manual.

View attachment 33831

Key Takeaways

Are you kidding me!? Didn't know you had to clean the filter regularly! Did they not ever read operating manuals on dishwashers or any kitchen or house appliance? Washing machines, dryers, vaccum cleaners, they all have filters as well! Here's a tip people, read everything before you do anything! 😳

I have always liked washing dishes I feels it's therapeutic.
You are on your own there, I do it because
I hate dirty dishes on the sink. It is an
necessary evil. I has to be done but I do it grudgingly. Also I don't feel for me, that it is therapeutic. Just a job that needs to be done......

necessary evil. I has to be done but I do it grudgingly. Also I don't feel for me, that it is therapeutic. Just a job that needs to be done......
I hate washing up also. I felt very lucky that I could afford a dishwasher when we built our first house in 1977. I’ve had one ever since, it was something I bought for my son when he moved into his own home in Perth. I washed up for two days & that was enough. My Mum in law used to find it therapeutic but not me.

Reactions: Veggiepatch