SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
The Conversation

The Conversation

Staff member
Jun 15, 2022
Are your cats fighting or playing? Scientists analysed cat videos to figure out the difference

Have you ever worried if the play between your cats was getting too rough? A new study published in Scientific Reports has investigated play and fighting in cats.

Their aim was to use simple behaviours anyone could observe to work out what was play and what might lead to fights. This is important because the consequences of fights include injuries to animals and humans. At worst, you may even have to rehome one of your cats if they’re not getting along.

Categorising cat ‘fights’​

The study, led by Noema Gajdoš-Kmecová from University of Veterinary Medicine and Pharmacy in Slovakia and from the University of Lincoln, UK, analysed 105 videos of interactions between 210 cats.

The research team then developed an ethogram – a list of specific behaviours used in the study of animal behaviour. These were put into six groups:

1. Inactive: head and body motionless and in specific position, for example crouching
  2. Wrestling: cats in physical contact with wrestling movements
  3. Chasing: one cat runs in pursuit or another cat runs away
  4. Other interactive activities: for example grooming, approaching, raised fur on back
  5. Non-interactive: activity directed towards themselves or an inanimate object, for example drinking, self-licking
  6. Vocalisation: for example growl, hiss, meow

Each video was analysed to identify which of these behaviours were shown by each cat. Each interaction was then analysed statistically to work out which behaviours appeared together in clusters.

From this, the researchers separated the videos into three categories of interactions.

Playful: included 40% of cats from the videos and included wrestling and a lack of vocalising.

Agonistic: agonistic behaviours are any social behaviours that include threatening, aggression and submission. Cats in this group vocalised and had recurring bouts of inactivity; 32% of cats from the sample landed in this group.

Intermediate: this group included 28% of cats and was more closely associated with the playful group than the agonistic group. Cats in this group interacted for prolonged periods with pauses in between.

As a crosscheck, these behavioural categories observed from the videos agreed fairly well with how the four authors, experts in cat behaviour, described each interaction.

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 13.05.24.png
Despite being quite territorial, some cats can happily share a home with others of their feline kind. Smile19/Shutterstock

If your cats are wrestling, they are most likely playing. When there is friction between cats in a multi-cat household, they tend to avoid physical contact. Instead, they’ll use offensive or defensive manoeuvres that don’t involve extended direct contact, such as slapping.

If your cats are vocalising, and chasing between periods of inactivity (such as crouching) they are most likely fighting. Vocalisation is an especially important clue here to an aggressive, rather than playful interaction. Chasing is OK if it’s mutual, but if one cat is chasing or one cat is running away, that’s not so positive.

The intermediate group is the tricky one. It contains elements of both playful and agonistic behaviours, though was more closely related to the playful than the agonistic group. This suggests play could become agonistic, depending on what happens during the interaction.

In particular, the authors observed frequent breaks within the interaction, which may allow cats to reassess their partner’s interest in playing, and avoid escalation from play to aggression.

The big fights are easy to spot​

This study is the first to apply a scientific approach to cat behaviours anybody can identify, describing three types of interactions to help identify between play and fighting in cats.

We all know when cats are really fighting, but the main strength is in working out intermediate examples – where it could be OK, but could also escalate.

The study focused on obvious behaviours anybody can observe, but cats can be quite subtle, too. They also use facial expression, ear and tail placement, and pheromones to communicate. These subtle signals may be just as important in differentiating between what is playing and what is fighting.

If your cats really are besties (sleep in close contact and share food and toys) the occasional bit of agonistic play is okay.

But if your cats don’t get on as well, you might need to watch for signs of agonistic behaviours. Tension between cats is not always obvious, but can affect their physical and mental health.

If you are unsure if your cats are really getting along, seeking help early from an expert in cat behaviour can prevent a cat-astrophe.

This article was first published on The Conversation, and was written by Susan Hazel, Associate Professor, School of Animal and Veterinary Science, University of Adelaide, Julia Henning, PhD Candidate, University of Adelaide

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they did not have a large Government Grant to determine what all that cat persons are so well aware of anyhow....my version from decades of pussycat experiences.

Two only, the Rumble versus the Fight.

Cat Rumble: Pouncing, wrestling, locking limbs and kicking bellies with claws retracted, biting throats, lots of play chewing.
Clue: No yowling no fur flying, the occasional chirp if one accidentally nips the other and the rumble is then over, as nipped cat retreats looking over the shoulder with a pained expression.
Cats disperse to other activities like washing themselves.
The only difference is, an immediate alert reaction if the catfood tin is banged. Cats forget everything and are almost best friends, but do not share bowls.

Cat Fight: Hellish yowls rising and falling in tempo as cats stand about a cat length apart, sideways on tippy toes in the Harbour Bridge stance, fur raised stiffly along the spine with tails erect or upsidedown U-shaped that triple their size ( or more depending on the breed)
All eyes locked in a sideways glare at each other with ears flattened.
More unearthly yowling by both, one louder than the other in a crescendo.
Sidestepping until (an only cat known signal) then one cat leaps like a warrior in action upon the other.
A fierce wild tumbling rolling body attack ensues the fury of masses of flying fur and claws kicking bellies as both cats scream at the highest volume, often joined by irate human shouts.
A short break from the tangle of the furies and furred bodies. Cats stand still, holding that gaze.
One cat slinks a few inches (mm) away, and the other follows, still slightly hunched and vocal with the war cry and fight mode, then another short brawl, more fur tufts everywhere.
Sometimes this will happen two or more times until the running cat gives in, slinking off and looking over its shoulder as the winner sits and washes its fur as if nothing has happened. The cat.

OMG any cat owner should know if their cats are playing or going to fight, I sure as hell know.
I had 15 cats at one point and it was dead easy to tell the difference between a fight and play between all of them and whether any intervention was needed. And yes there were a couple who get really nasty and I would have to separate them but next they would be sleeping on my bed- at least 10 of them together. .

I hope they did not have a large Government Grant to determine what all that cat persons are so well aware of anyhow....my version from decades of pussycat experiences.

Two only, the Rumble versus the Fight.

Cat Rumble: Pouncing, wrestling, locking limbs and kicking bellies with claws retracted, biting throats, lots of play chewing.
Clue: No yowling no fur flying, the occasional chirp if one accidentally nips the other and the rumble is then over, as nipped cat retreats looking over the shoulder with a pained expression.
Cats disperse to other activities like washing themselves.
The only difference is, an immediate alert reaction if the catfood tin is banged. Cats forget everything and are almost best friends, but do not share bowls.

Cat Fight: Hellish yowls rising and falling in tempo as cats stand about a cat length apart, sideways on tippy toes in the Harbour Bridge stance, fur raised stiffly along the spine with tails erect or upsidedown U-shaped that triple their size ( or more depending on the breed)
All eyes locked in a sideways glare at each other with ears flattened.
More unearthly yowling by both, one louder than the other in a crescendo.
Sidestepping until (an only cat known signal) then one cat leaps like a warrior in action upon the other.
A fierce wild tumbling rolling body attack ensues the fury of masses of flying fur and claws kicking bellies as both cats scream at the highest volume, often joined by irate human shouts.
A short break from the tangle of the furies and furred bodies. Cats stand still, holding that gaze.
One cat slinks a few inches (mm) away, and the other follows, still slightly hunched and vocal with the war cry and fight mode, then another short brawl, more fur tufts everywhere.
Sometimes this will happen two or more times until the running cat gives in, slinking off and looking over its shoulder as the winner sits and washes its fur as if nothing has happened. The cat.
agree- sure hope they didn't get funding for this. Why not just ask multicast household humans rather than rely on some videos taken by some and put online - not a fair representative to make all their judgements.

I had 15 cats at one point and it was dead easy to tell the difference between a fight and play between all of them and whether any intervention was needed. And yes there were a couple who get really nasty and I would have to separate them but next they would be sleeping on my bed- at least 10 of them together. .
That must have been crowded. I had 6 resident cats ( four started as kittens with Mum and Pop Puss) when living in the country yonks ago when a fresh city bride who had never seen a feral or farm cat and I thought I had a floor of fur everywhere I went, and a family lap as I would put my feet up on a stool and they would line up down my trousered legs to get their spot. Now I would collapse!

That must have been crowded. I had 6 resident cats ( four started as kittens with Mum and Pop Puss) when living in the country yonks ago when a fresh city bride who had never seen a feral or farm cat and I thought I had a floor of fur everywhere I went and a lap I would put my feet up on a stool and they would line up down my legs to get their spot. Now I would collapse!
I have an enclosure straight from the house that empties into a massive run as well, and they used the tops of cabinets/units either side of window pelmets in 2 rooms also enabling them to spread out. Numerous beds and cat towers everywhere, along with litter tray stations as I called them throughout giving all places to go without being bothered as well as being on top of each other. But, no other humans other than me so that helped. I'm down to 3 now.

I have an enclosure straight from the house that empties into a massive run as well, and they used the tops of cabinets/units either side of window pelmets in 2 rooms also enabling them to spread out. Numerous beds and cat towers everywhere, along with litter tray stations as I called them throughout giving all places to go without being bothered as well as being on top of each other. But, no other humans other than me so that helped. I'm down to 3 now.
Sounds very well organised Jenny. I have no 'official' cats of my own now, but the little dog was thrilled when a slinky little 14 weeks old very fearless and smart adopted kitten arrived to join the family in the main house last week. He was the plan to help relieve dear old Mouse the 14-year-old Brit who was being overly hassled by the very vibrant youthful-year-old Daisy. Casper is her new playmate after she got over the shock of another cat. Mouse shrugged as if to say "Not another one" ..Daisy really flipped out for two days....all looking good now.