Are your Apple gadgets about to become ‘obsolete’?

As technology advances rapidly in the digital age, many of our once-beloved devices are being left behind.

Recently, tech giant Apple updated its list of products that are considered 'obsolete’—and if you're still holding onto one of their older phone models, it might be time to consider an upgrade.

The iPhone 6 Plus, a device that once represented the pinnacle of mobile technology with its larger screen and improved camera, has now been officially classified as obsolete by Apple.

This classification is more than just a label; it has real implications for users of older technology.

ana-bernardo-hyfDBOS-O2Y-unsplash.jpg
Apple’s iPhone 6 Plus is now considered obsolete. Image source: Unsplash

Apple has a system for categorising its older products, dividing them into 'vintage' and 'obsolete’.

The distinction between the two is crucial for understanding the level of support you can expect for your device.

A 'vintage' product is one that hasn't been sold for more than five but less than seven years.

These devices still receive some support, albeit limited.

However, once a device crosses the seven-year threshold without being sold, it enters the 'obsolete' category.

When a product is declared obsolete, Apple discontinues all hardware services for it. This means that authorised service providers can no longer order parts for these products, making repairs increasingly difficult, if not impossible.

Additionally, obsolete products are often ineligible for the latest software updates, leaving them vulnerable to security risks and without the latest features and improvements.

As of now, nine iPhones have been designated as vintage and 14 are considered obsolete.

Vintage and Obsolete iPhones.jpg

But not just iPhones are affected. The list of vintage and obsolete Apple products includes a range of devices, such as computers, iPads, iPods, Beats, and even Apple Watch models.

For those curious or concerned about whether their devices are on the list, Apple provides a comprehensive rundown on their website.

It's a valuable resource for planning future purchases and understanding when your current gadgets might start to show their age.

It's worth noting that while an obsolete device may still function, its limitations could become more pronounced over time.

For instance, as app developers focus on newer operating systems, you may find that some of your favourite apps no longer work on an older device.

Furthermore, as security updates become unavailable, your personal information could be at greater risk.

Staying ahead of these changes is essential for our community members who rely on their Apple devices for everything from video calls with grandchildren to managing health apps.

If your device is becoming outdated, it's wise to explore your options. Whether trading in your old device for a newer model or switching to a different brand offering longer support, there are plenty of ways to stay connected and secure in the digital world.
Key Takeaways

• Apple has officially classified The iPhone 6 Plus as 'obsolete'.
  • Apple usually classifies a product as 'obsolete' more than seven years after it has not been sold.
  • Obsolete status means Apple has discontinued all hardware services for the product, and service providers cannot order parts.
  • The list of vintage and obsolete products, including iPhones, computers, iPads, iPods, Beats, and Apple Watch items, is available on the Apple website.
Have you had to upgrade recently, or are you holding onto a vintage device that is still going strong? Share your stories in the comments below!

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Tipsy and BJM
Sponsored
Well my iPhone 7 is not on either list so might do me for a bit longer. I had to buy a new iPad last year as my old one from 2015 is unable to be updated anymore. I can still use it but it is slowly declining in its functions. One would think that since younger people are always updating to the new you beaut devices that these tech companies would be making heaps of money anyway, so they should just leave us older people to keep using our vintage devices. After all it has taken some of us years to get used to the features on them. I for one don’t need to constantly retrain on newer more fanciful devices.

Just retired my IPhone 4. Battery was swelling but phone still operating. Would still make/receive calls and text messages. Struggled with a few other functions though.

I dont have any Apple products but my Samsung is going to be obsolete come June. So many items are not meant to last forever. I am not going to replace my mobile phone and I will just rely if necessary on my husbands phone as I rarely use my mobile anyway. People have become so reliant on these mobiles. I am old school. We never even had a mobile some years ago.

Reactions: Rob44
I'm glad to say I've never had any Apple stuff.

I've only ever had proper Android phones as I like messing about too much with my phones and can download whatever app I want and not be told what I am allowed to download.

There's so much choice with Android phones, but I think Apple won the publicity war years ago where everyone was made to think because they've got an iPhone it was something special and so were they. Still seems to happen today?

Seems to have got to my 4 year old grandson as well. He keeps calling my Android tablet an iPad, but that's because he uses them at his childcare and wouldn't know the difference yet. I don't want to confuse him.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I think Apple phones and their App store are more secure than Android. Many retired people think that they can hang on to an old phone because they don't use it much, but they miss out on better cameras, safer software, better batteries and larger memories, while they sit on their $600,000 super, and worry if they will outlive it.

Reactions: IAN3005
I think Apple phones and their App store are more secure than Android. Many retired people think that they can hang on to an old phone because they don't use it much, but they miss out on better cameras, safer software, better batteries and larger memories, while they sit on their $600,000 super, and worry if they will outlive it.
Who needs them????

I suppose it comes down to what is important in one's life. You could say the same thing about friends .... who needs them?

Reactions: IAN3005
I suppose it comes down to what is important in one's life. You could say the same thing about friends .... who needs them?
Strange you should say that...... my sentiments exactly...... the peace and quiet......