Are you risking $410? Minor mistake costing Aussies big with new roadside cameras

In the age of advanced technology and heightened road safety awareness, it's hard to believe that a simple oversight could cost you a hefty $410.

Yet, that's exactly what's happening to many Australians who are being caught by new roadside detection cameras for an easily avoidable mistake: not wearing a seatbelt correctly.

The introduction of these new cameras across New South Wales, which began monitoring on 1 July, has seen over 11,400 fines issued in just three weeks.

The cameras, first rolled out in Queensland, South Australia, the ACT, and Victoria, can detect both mobile phone use and improper seatbelt use.

1722995445306.png
NSW mobile phone detection cameras also monitor seatbelt compliance, issuing over 11,400 fines in three weeks. Credit: TikTok

The seatbelt has been a non-negotiable vehicle fixture for over half a century, saving countless lives.

Yet, despite its long-standing presence, many Aussies still need to wear them as intended.

NSW Road Rules 264-267 are clear: a seatbelt must be 'properly adjusted and fastened', with the sash crossing from shoulder to hip.

The consequences of an improperly worn seatbelt are twofold. Not only does it significantly reduce the protective benefits in the event of a crash, but it can also lead to injuries caused by the belt itself.

The NRMA has cautioned that an ill-fitting seatbelt may fail to restrain a passenger properly, increasing the risk of harm.

Avinash Singh, Principal Lawyer at Astor Legal, spoke about the common misconceptions surrounding seatbelt use.

‘A surprising number of people wear their seatbelt under the armpit instead of over the shoulder,’ he said.

‘They often believe that as long as the seatbelt is clicked in, this is sufficient.’

‘However, it is not, and you can be fined $410 and three demerit points for wearing your seatbelt like this.’

The issue is wider than everyday drivers. Singh pointed out that truck drivers are particularly prone to seatbelt-related offences, often neglecting to wear or wear them incorrectly.

‘Another common offence I see too often is the sharing of seatbelts, particularly between parents and children,’ Singh continued.

‘Due to the size and dimensions of some child seats, it can be difficult or cumbersome for the seatbelt to be properly adjusted and fastened,’

‘Very young children can find this uncomfortable and parents sometimes give in and choose to not properly adjust and fasten the seatbelts, leaving the child in danger.’

While South Australian drivers are currently in a three-month grace period, receiving warning letters instead of fines, NSW drivers are being fined immediately.

Roads Minister John Graham emphasised the importance of seatbelt use, stating that 'the straightforward act of putting a seatbelt on could save dozens of lives a year.'

The NRMA's statistics are sobering: 15 per cent of road deaths in NSW each year involve individuals not wearing seatbelts.

NRMA spokesman Peter Khoury has stressed the gravity of the issue:

‘Often it's people who are in an impaired state, those people getting in the passenger seat after they've been drinking,’ he said.

In related news, a Brisbane driver was fined $1,100 after a road safety camera allegedly caught his passenger not wearing a seatbelt correctly.

The driver claimed on social media that the seatbelt was worn correctly but obscured by a jacket, providing photos as evidence. Read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Mobile phone detection cameras in NSW are also monitoring seatbelt compliance, which has resulted in over 11,400 fines in three weeks.
  • In NSW, Drivers and passengers who do not properly wear seatbelts can be fined $410 and receive three demerit points.
  • Common seatbelt offences include wearing the belt under the armpit and not adjusting child seats correctly.
  • The new camera technology rollout aims to reduce the national road toll by ensuring seatbelts are worn correctly.
Have you or someone you know been affected by the new roadside detection cameras? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I always wear my seatbelt BUT it NEVER sits where it is supposed to Being female with biggish boobs I find the belt usually ends up at the top of my boobs across my neck. Not comfortable in the least and constantly requires readjustment. It also depends on the type of clothing I wear and the amount of 'slip' to the fabric. Shiny, slippery fabrics make the belt slip up quicker.
I had a female fri
end who had to fight a ticket in court as the camera said she was putting her seatbelt on when she was actually adjusting it away from her throat. Luckily she had a passenger who could vouch for her actions and the case was dismissed.
Females are not a small part of the population but it seems seatbelts are MALE specific. This needs to change. Surely in this day and age some smartie can come up with a solution?
I have one of the things you put on your seat belt because of being short and they are really good for making the seat belt not move and comfortable.

I always wear my seatbelt BUT it NEVER sits where it is supposed to Being female with biggish boobs I find the belt usually ends up at the top of my boobs across my neck. Not comfortable in the least and constantly requires readjustment. It also depends on the type of clothing I wear and the amount of 'slip' to the fabric. Shiny, slippery fabrics make the belt slip up quicker.
I had a female fri
end who had to fight a ticket in court as the camera said she was putting her seatbelt on when she was actually adjusting it away from her throat. Luckily she had a passenger who could vouch for her actions and the case was dismissed.
Females are not a small part of the population but it seems seatbelts are MALE specific. This needs to change. Surely in this day and age some smartie can come up with a solution?
I didn't have biggish boobs, I had trouble finding mine

Reactions: Ezzy