Are you overspending on this simple family favourite? The hidden cost might shock you!

Lasagne, whether bolognese or vegetarian style, is a delicious, comforting and beloved dish by many.

It's a classic family favourite that's been around for decades, and for those who grew up eating it as a meal, it can evoke surprisingly strong emotions.

However, one Brisbane restaurant is about to make your eyes water for an entirely different reason when it comes to this classic dish.

Queensland celebrity chef Gillian Hirst first invented her take on lasagne back in 1992.

Her invention came to life when a whopping 400 portions per week of sand crab lasagne were served to ecstatic diners at Brisbane’s now-closed fine dining hotspot Il Centro.

79422262_3236922103044517_7090797478764609536_n.jpg
Il Centro’s iconic sand crab lasagne is the inspiration behind Chef Hirst’s lasagne recipe. Credit: Il Centro Restaurant & Bar Facebook

Now, Zazu Dining in Brisbane’s West End is trying to revive the iconic dish after a decades-long slumber.

Their version of the classic Italian dish comes filled with creamy bechamel sauce and sand crab bolognese, bathed in abalone bisque and topped with a spoonful of black caviar.

Sounds delicious, right? Wait ‘til you read the price.

It’s a whopping $75 per serve, considerably more expensive than the ‘90s original!

Zazu says their portion can be split between two people, but the dish has been described as a 'hungry solo diner's dream' by food journalist Anooska Tucker-Evans, who sampled the dish and wrote about it.

The price tag on this version of the lasagne is certainly high. But if you’re on the hunt for a similar luxe lasagne made with duck meat, head over to Lollo in the W Melbourne for a much more wallet-friendly price of $58.

But there’s more than just the faithful classic dish on offer at Zazu.

The restaurant has splashed together an array of fusion flavours, like edamame with truffled butter and smoked garlic salt ($9) and Thai beef salad ($26), as well as Szechuan duck pancakes and confit chicken roulade.

Key Takeaways

• A Brisbane restaurant, Zazu Dining, is serving a sand crab lasagne that costs $75 a serve.
  • The dish is a recreation of a popular menu item by celebrity chef Gillian Hirst from the now-closed restaurant Il Centro.
  • Despite the high price tag, the portion can be shared between two people, yet can easily be consumed by one, according to reviews.
  • Zazu Dining offers an eclectic menu of global flavours, featuring dishes such as Thai beef salad, Balkan-style kofte kebapi and Middle-Eastern style pizzas.

Now, of course, luxury can be alluring when it comes to some of these dishes, and we here at SDC are certainly not telling you not to treat yourself or your friends—but with so many cheaper alternatives, we just want to make sure that you don't get suckered into overspending!

If you're on the hunt for a cheap Italian treat, make sure you research all the cafes, restaurants, and eateries in your local area. Check out online reviews, compare pricing, and don’t forget to take advantage of any special offers they might have.

That said, members—have you ever made (or tried) a ‘luxurious’ version of lasagne or another family dish? Can you believe the prices of these meals? Tell us below!

Sponsored
On the menu frozen vegetarian lasagne from any supermarket, much cheaper at under $5 for smaller size, 260g, and under $10 for 400g I find is very good and satisfies any craving I get for lasagne. Have never tasted caviar and have no desire to.
I’ve had caviar if you like salt you’ll like caviar😁black caviars so salty compared to Tasmanian trout and salmon caviar.😋but never again it’s an acquired taste and over rated. Oh and overpriced.

I’ve had caviar if you like salt you’ll like caviar😁black caviars so salty compared to Tasmanian trout and salmon caviar.😋but never again it’s an acquired taste and over rated. Oh and overpriced.
I had caviar once sometime last century. Nothing special and I don't know what the fuss is all about. 🤷‍♂️

I had caviar once sometime last century. Nothing special and I don't know what the fuss is all about. 🤷‍♂️
I went to a dinner at a rich persons house in Bondi and I hated every bit of food they served. Hubby made me try black caviar and I actually spat it out, in front of everyone.
Next came what I though was brown potato it was a pate and horrible.

And I thought we were going to a BBQ.

Actually although as you say it's an aquired taste quite like caviar, unfortunately I've only got a fish finger pocket since retiring. 😉😉

Actually although as you say it's an aquired taste quite like caviar, unfortunately I've only got a fish finger pocket since retiring. 😉😉
Yeah well so have I and I know what I prefer😁fish fingers in a bread buttie I make my own😋

Last edited:
Reactions: magpie1
I went to a dinner at a rich persons house in Bondi and I hated every bit of food they served. Hubby made me try black caviar and I actually spat it out, in front of everyone.
Next came what I though was brown potato it was a pate and horrible.

And I thought we were going to a BBQ.
I love pate its 😋 yummy