Are you missing out on Rent Assistance? Here’s how to check if you’re eligible

In the current climate, with rental prices soaring and the cost of living reaching new heights, many Australians are feeling the pinch. The situation can be particularly challenging for seniors, who often live on fixed incomes.

Thankfully, there's a lifeline available in the form of Rent Assistance from Services Australia.

As part of our commitment to keeping you informed and financially savvy, here’s an essential guide to understanding this benefit, its rates for 2024, and how to determine your eligibility.

Rent Assistance is a supplementary payment designed to help those already receiving certain payments from Services Australia and struggling with their rental obligations.

This support system is essential for people paying rent for traditional housing, retirement village fees, or other types of lodging, such as boarding houses.

compressed-female-hand-operating-calculator-front-villa-house-model.jpeg
Rent Assistance is a Services Australia program that supports eligible individuals struggling to pay rent. Image source: Freepik

It also includes those who live in alternative dwellings like caravans or boats, where site or mooring fees are applicable.

Who is Eligible for Rent Assistance?​

Eligibility for Rent Assistance is contingent on receiving one of the following Centrelink payments:
  • Age Pension, Carer Pension, or Disability Support Pension
  • ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Youth Allowance, or Austudy
  • Special Benefit
  • Family Tax Benefit
  • Parenting Payment
  • JobSeeker Payment or Farm Household Allowance

To be eligible, you must be paying rent above a certain threshold, which varies depending on your circumstances.

You will not be eligible for Rent Assistance if:
  • You own or are purchasing the home where you currently reside, except for relocatable homes.
  • You are away from your owned home for less than 12 months.
  • The Australian Government is already subsidising the approved residential aged care facility where you reside.
  • Your partner is already receiving Rent Assistance with Family Tax Benefit.
  • You are receiving an allowance, and your partner receives Rent Assistance with their pension.

How to Apply for Rent Assistance​

One of the benefits of Rent Assistance is the ease of application.

There's no need for a separate claim—eligibility is assessed when you apply for one of the qualifying Centrelink payments.

If you're approved for the primary payment, Rent Assistance will automatically be considered.

Should you qualify, you may be required to provide proof of your rental arrangements.

This can be done by uploading documents via the Services Australia portal or submitting them in person at a service centre or by post.

Understanding Rent Assistance Payments in 2024​

Determining the amount of Rent Assistance you can receive can be complex.

The payment varies based on the amount of rent you pay, with a minimum rent threshold that must be met to qualify for assistance.

According to the Services Australia website, ‘There’s a minimum amount of rent you need to pay to get Rent Assistance. For every $1 of rent you pay above this amount, you’ll get 75c. You can’t get more than the maximum amount.’

The current rates, when paid with an income support payment or ABSTUDY, are as follows:

Rent Assistance rates for individuals with income support payment or ABSTUDY.jpg

These rates are indexed each year on March 20 and September 20 to keep pace with inflation.

From March 20, 2024, individuals on an income support payment will see an increase in their Rent Assistance rates by $2.27 - $3.40 per fortnight, while those under the Family Assistance Act will see an increase of $3.92 - $4.49 per fortnight.

It's always vital to stay informed about the financial assistance available to you.

Rent Assistance can provide significant relief in managing rental costs, and understanding how to access this support is key to maintaining financial stability.

For the latest Rent Assistance rates and eligibility information, visit the Services Australia website. And remember, if you're facing difficulties with your rental situation, don't hesitate to ask for help. Services Australia and various senior support organisations are there to assist you.
Key Takeaways

• Rent Assistance is a supplementary payment for individuals on specific Centrelink payment plans who also pay for accommodation, including household rent, retirement village fees, or mooring fees for boats and caravans.
  • To be eligible for Rent Assistance, individuals must receive payments like Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, various student allowances, Family Tax Benefit, Parenting Payment, JobSeeker Payment, or other specified payments from Services Australia.
  • Applying for Rent Assistance does not require a separate claim; if eligible, the assistance is automatically applied. Proof of rent arrangements may be needed to be submitted.
  • Rent Assistance payments range from $123 to $245 per fortnight in 2024, with the actual amount received depending on the recipient's rent.
Do you know about this benefit, members? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I am currently on job seeker and I am 63 and due to medical issues cannot work at the moment. My rent went up an extra $25 a week and now I am paying $950 a fortnight out of my Centrelink money. Which leaves me around roughly $83 a fortnight. So any little amount that I receive in Rent Assistance is a blessing but as I have said to some of my friends I have to live somewhere so I manage. I am lucky my son still lives with me as he covers alot of the bills. Also as I care for my Mum and I do not claim Carers Allowance what I would get for that my Mum helps with my groceries (as we both like the same food we buy extra) and also pays my registration on my car and services when needed...... So in the space of 2 years of living in this rental I have had a $250 increase in rent. I also get the maximum Rent Assistance...
You are lucky to have family that can help you in this situation. Not everyone has that. Having said this though, I do sincerely hope that things get better for you. Unfortunately, while our politicians are allowed to have investment properties, the rental crisis will never end as heaven forbid they lose any income.

Reactions: Littleboy8
The problem is they are all tarred with the same brush... one is as bad as the other.
Heaven forbid that Dutton is PM.....
You are so right there. Dutton is a millionaire (investment properties, shopping centre) so he will never reverse negative gearing or anything else which would make housing more affordable and/or cause rents to come down.

Remember this when you go to vote
Trouble is, Labor didn't cause this problem. If the Libs/Nat party get back in with their intolerance and disrespect for the elderly/less fortunate, nothing will change and will probably get worse.

You are so right there. Dutton is a millionaire (investment properties, shopping centre) so he will never reverse negative gearing or anything else which would make housing more affordable and/or cause rents to come down.
From an everyday countable to a multi-million-dollar politician..... I smell a rat....

Trouble is, Labor didn't cause this problem. If the Libs/Nat party get back in with their intolerance and disrespect for the elderly/less fortunate, nothing will change and will probably get worse.
Statistics say otherwise

They are all tarred with the same brush...
Agree IAN but

"Already paid more than five times the salary of the average WA government worker, the high-ranking fat cats were quietly awarded the pay bumps by the independent Salaries and Allowances Tribunal at the start of February — their second raise in less than 12 months."

All under Albo's watch

Reactions: IAN3005