Are you living in a danger zone? Data exposes most reckless driving hotspots in this city

As we navigate the bustling streets of Melbourne, we often take for granted the intricate dance of traffic lights and road signs that keep us safe.

However, a recent surge in traffic violations has cast a spotlight on the city's most perilous suburbs for drivers and pedestrians alike.

The alarming statistics and harrowing footage emerging from these areas serve as a stark reminder of the risks lurking on our roads.

A recent compilation of traffic data has unveiled a list of Melbourne's worst suburbs for speeding and red light offences, painting a concerning picture of road safety in these locales.

The list, which includes Heidelberg, the CBD, Footscray, Sunshine West, Rowville, and Frankston, among others, is a wake-up call for residents and visitors alike.

shutterstock_2505781403.jpg
A compilation of traffic data revealed a list of Melbourne’s worst suburbs for speeding and red light offences. Credit: Shutterstock

In one shocking video, the traffic light glows red, yet a motorist brazenly ignored it, driving straight into the path of oncoming vehicles and narrowly avoiding a collision with pedestrians.

This is not an isolated incident; such scenes are becoming all too common, with drivers treating the rules of the road as mere suggestions rather than life-saving laws.

The term 'traffic light Russian roulette' has been coined to describe the reckless behaviour of drivers who gamble with their lives and the lives of others at intersections.

Police Minister Anthony Carbines expressed his dismay at the situation, stating, 'There's too much disrespect.'

The data revealed a startling trend: a significant portion of the offenders are not local residents.

'That's 88 per cent of non-local Victorians who are getting pinged for speed cameras and speed and red lights across our state,' Carbines disclosed.

‘Wherever you're driving on our roads, it is not enough to just obey the law where you think you know where the cameras are.’

With over 186,000 fines issued across 15 hotspot areas, it's clear that complacency on the road can have dire consequences.

Almost 200 lives have been tragically lost on Victorian roads this year alone, with speed continuing to be a major factor in fatal collisions.

Samantha Cockfield, the Head of Road Safety at the Transport Accident Commission, warned, 'We know that people think travelling a few K over the speed limit is okay. It's not.’

‘Travelling just five kilometres over the speed limit in a 60-kilometre zone actually doubles your crash risk.'
Key Takeaways

• New data has revealed the worst suburbs in Melbourne for speeding and red light offences.
  • Over 186,000 fines were issued across 15 hotspot areas, including Heidelberg, the CBD, Footscray, Sunshine West, Rowville, and Frankston.
  • The Victorian Police Minister, Anthony Carbines, emphasised that drivers should obey the law at all times, not just where they know cameras are located.
  • The Transport Accident Commission's road safety head, Samantha Cockfield, highlighted that even travelling five kilometres over the speed limit in a 60km zone doubles your crash risk.
Have you witnessed reckless driving in your area? How do you ensure your safety on the road? Engage with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
The comments from 'Veggiepatch' are very worrying. If you don't want to do anything about it, you have no right to complain. Think of this, he is a serious offender of the NSW road rules. The company that has provided him with a car and have knowledge of his driving status is criminally liable. They are also criminally liable even if they are not aware of his driving status as they have a responsibility to 'sight, inspect and make prudent enquiries about his licence status on a regular basis and have a record of all company vehicles, who drives them, where located etc. at all times. A lot of these are set out in legal requirement for companies, under Insurance regs. etc. He has also placed him mother criminally liable for making false declarations, which have to be witnesses by a JP. If he is involved in a serious/fatal accident there would be a lot more 'people, including him standing in the dock.' In NSW there are no 'crushing legislation', any vehicle can be 'impounded', in the case of Company vehicles, the Company would have to make an application to the Court for the return of the vehicle. I am familiar with a case many years ago where a young person had his vehicle impounded for street racing in the San Souci area. He then borrowed his father's BMW and again went street racing. He was charged and a further suspension and the vehicle was impounded for 3 months. The father made an application to the Court for the return of the vehicle on hardship grounds. The Magistrate, at that time was a 'real Magistrate', and he stated that the Father was fully aware of his son's repeated actions and total disregard of the road rules and should of 'erred on the side of caustion' about handing over the keys. The Magistrate dismissed the application. I am not 'up to date' on any changes to the deregistration process however, the actions by the person who has 'custody of the vehicle' does reflect on the deregistration process and again the Company owning the vehicle could be drawn into the legal process and face some serious fines under different Acts/Regulation. As for your 'knowledge' of what this person is doing, I would be having a 'talk' with Police and or the Company about this person. I would not like to hear on the News about him 'killing a person/child/ a relative/friend of yours knowing that you did nothing to take this 'selfish idiot' off the roads. SIDELINE INFORMATION: The Station Officer at every Police Station for every Police Officer coming on duty has to have his Drivers' Licence status confirmed before he can commence duty.... this is also covered under varioius Regulations, Acts and Conditions of employment for Companies and Businesses. If I am given a 'courtesy car from my mechanic' he checks my Licence and enters the details of the vehicle, my licence, date, time, place, condition of vehicle and I have to sign the 'use agreement' prior to taking the vehicle. Hope this helps, please, report this person before he kills someone.
Firstly, these offences I mentioned occurred in Victoria over several years. Every week or so, I would find yet another infringement notice for <insert name> from Fines Victoria or Victoria Police.

Secondly, the person in question was employed by a Chinese owned company who supplied commercial and domestic electrical goods to electricians. He was one of only two people employed by this company, the other being the storeman. The principal was overseas or interstate most of the time and rarely in the Melbourne office. So basically the person in question ran the show.

I am not an employee of the Victoria Police and have no intention of doing their job for them. The person is known to the police and they are well aware of his address. So why didn't they pay him a visit? Police were probably too busy fining people for walking across a road in contravention of a "Don't Walk" signal instead of tackling real crime. Police are more inclined to target easy prey rather than respond to something more serious. Hence, I have no respect for police from any jurisdiction. Gutless wimps the lot of them, supplied with body cams, OC (capsicum) spray, tasers, extendable batons and the "dreaded" Smith & Wesson M&P semi-automatic pistol!

• Sad
Reactions: Dynamo
Veggiepatch, I did not set out to offend or judge your inquiry, I was merely offering my opinion based on the original comment made by you in an effort to assist your matters of concern. Your fresh information relates to the Victorian State, I didn't know that and was only basing my response to what I know in NSW. I can ask my son, who is in the Victorian Police for a more detailed insight into the matters you raised. As to my opening few lines, I apologise if they caused you any distress as I have heard, over many years, of people telling me that they know this/that and associated criminal activity about somebody but are not prepared to come forward. I agree, that is your decission, I have no issue with that decission, I do try and point out the bigger picture as some people don't take that into acount. 'Cause and effect', are a lot of times 'overlooked'. and I have seen the consequences of this on many occasions. Every occupation has 'dead-end employees' in their workforce. I am the first to acknowledge that the NSW Police, as in any Police Force in the world suffers with this problem. That doesn't detract from the majority of dedicated, hard-working Officers who do their duties diligently and with professionalism. I am not aware of your current/former occupation and I suggest you saw/experienced/worked with some similar 'dead-end kids.' I have enjoyed reading a number of your comments and will continue to do so, along with many other members and I will also make comments based on my factual knowledge and experiences....look forward to more insights,, cheers.

Veggiepatch, I did not set out to offend or judge your inquiry, I was merely offering my opinion based on the original comment made by you in an effort to assist your matters of concern. Your fresh information relates to the Victorian State, I didn't know that and was only basing my response to what I know in NSW. I can ask my son, who is in the Victorian Police for a more detailed insight into the matters you raised. As to my opening few lines, I apologise if they caused you any distress as I have heard, over many years, of people telling me that they know this/that and associated criminal activity about somebody but are not prepared to come forward. I agree, that is your decission, I have no issue with that decission, I do try and point out the bigger picture as some people don't take that into acount. 'Cause and effect', are a lot of times 'overlooked'. and I have seen the consequences of this on many occasions. Every occupation has 'dead-end employees' in their workforce. I am the first to acknowledge that the NSW Police, as in any Police Force in the world suffers with this problem. That doesn't detract from the majority of dedicated, hard-working Officers who do their duties diligently and with professionalism. I am not aware of your current/former occupation and I suggest you saw/experienced/worked with some similar 'dead-end kids.' I have enjoyed reading a number of your comments and will continue to do so, along with many other members and I will also make comments based on my factual knowledge and experiences....look forward to more insights,, cheers.
Many thanks for your acknowledgement but an apology is not necessary. You are a poster of quality and I respect that! 👍

Reactions: DLHM
Victoria has the worse drivers in the country, tailgating and going through the red lights, Im a crossing supervisor been doing it for 33years, and there are loads of them that go through the red lights, they should have cameras on all the crossings they would make a mint of money on fines, I even had one chap that came through the red light I tried to stop as I was seeing the children across the crossing, threaten to get his gun and shoot me, so I took his rego number etc which we are allowed to do, and reported him to the police, the police got him, and have not seen him again thank goodness.